BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 55 of 55 Posts

· Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
We headed off this morning with blue skies and the blustery rain/hailstorms of Victoria a distant memory.
We started with lovely run up the range on Thunderbolts Way, so named presumably because it’s the route colonial bushranger Thunderbolt took on his way to work each day. Most of the surface is Macadamised, with occasional patches of Pot-holian construction, presumably for heritage purposes, and often on corners to test the suppleness of the bike’s suspension.
Our morning tea stop was at Walcha - the Royal was as charming as usual, and it was nice to have reserved parking outside, even if it wasn’t reserved for me.
After a lamb pie and potato scallop lunch (yes, wholesome, hey …) the afternoon got warmer as we descended, eventually reaching 32°C before cooling in the late afternoon with cloud cover.
Our overnight stay is a country pub in Allora - accommodation in a pub not open for drinks (there’s a song about that), while drinks and eats were at the Railway Hotel.
Only a short run home tomorrow to Frau Panzer and the Panzerhunden.
Sky Plant Plant community Mountain Natural landscape
l
Nice to have the sun behind us as we set off.

Tire Wheel Plant Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Car Vehicle

An empty threat - the bike was still there after our coffee..
Plant Table Furniture Flowerpot Houseplant

Bird Beak Feather Ladder Engineering

No muffin for you!!
Cloud Sky Plant Ecoregion Blue

Wispy clouds provided endless entertainment
Tire Cloud Wheel Sky Plant

You’re not in Kansas now, Toto, you’re in Texas
Sky Building Cloud Window Plant

Our accommodation
Automotive parking light Building Automotive lighting Vehicle Car

The joint is jumpin’! (as much as it ever does)

Attachments

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
@Panzermann, Andy was so close to bagging dinner. Nice try to hypnotise that bird with the old pointed-finger technique - another Walcha spatchcock dinner goes begging.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Panzermann

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
It’s a lazy red wattlebird, @Erwin_GX - I say lazy because they’re predominantly nectar feeders but this one has worked out there are sweet crumbs available for the taking at the cafe. They’re not normally this bold around people. There’s a yellow wattled version too.

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
We awoke and headed off about the same time as yesterday, except clocks said it was an hour earlier. Queenslanders won’t have daylight saving - it would fade their curtains, put the cows off their milk and the chooks would stop laying.
It was already 20° as we rode away, with the invigorating aroma of dew on fertile soil. The effect reminded me of my childhood - dew on stubble and the sandy soil of the family farm in the Mallee of western Victoria where we would holiday over summer.
We headed off to Esk for breakfast via the Gatton Clifton Road, which follows a picturesque valley that links the Darling Downs with the Lockyer Region. Angie’s Country Cafe provided a relaxed atmosphere to kick back and enjoy a lazy breakfast, neither of us having any urgency to complete the last legs of our journey - after all, we were an hour early.
We eventually went our separate ways, me heading up through Kilcoy and Caboolture before riding north to Buderim to my dear understanding wife and faithful hounds.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Fuel tank Window

Setting off from Allora
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

And to think we didn’t take any dirt/gravel roads. Out with the pressure washer and the toothbrush.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

Looking forward to brekky.
Tableware Food Ingredient Bivalve Seafood

Mushrooms on toast - deconstructed.
Bird Green Beak Plant Wood

We were joined at brekky by a blue-faced honeyeater, colloquially known as the bananabird. The birds find Andy really attractive, it seems.
Sky Water Plant Water resources Cloud

Somerset Lake
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive lighting

Home and hosed. 5395km on this little adventure. Come February, rinse and repeat for World SBK 2023.

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
I posted my Heffron Lookout photo on Instagram and tagged Australian Motorcycle News. The photo made it into the latest edition, albeit with my Insta name misspelled.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Reactions: r0ckrat

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Now that you're back home time to reflect on the more challenging aspects of the trip - the struggle, bad and uncomfortable. The easy and enjoyable parts of a motorcycle trip are what it's all about but the hard stuff is what makes one stronger and keeps the adventurous young at heart. Good on you @Panzermann.

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Thanks Mike. These are the ones you tell stories (true lies) about over a beer for years to come.
The challenging parts simply required more concentration and, often, tolerance of discomfort.
The only nervous (pucker) moments I found were roadworks with unannounced golf ball sized gravel about 7-10cm deep. OK while you’re under power, but if the roadworks are long, you can’t keep accelerating. 😬

Reactions: mikeS

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
I recall one of my 4-day trips heading up to TEXAS (QLD) I rounded a corner just outside the village of North Star - large size gravel and so deep. No warning sign on the approach just a sign mid-corner - roadworks ahead. That certainly got the old ticker pumping.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Quick clip - on my way to Bright NSW for the Phillip Island WSBK weekend.

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Did you get lost, @mikeS - Bright was in Victoria last time I looked, although with all the flooding we’ve had, it could have floated anywhere by now.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
Did you get lost, @mikeS - Bright was in Victoria last time I looked, although, with all the flooding we’ve had, it could have floated anywhere by now.
You know VIC - NSW it's all the same to me one endless adventure, PZ. Thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake - good to see you're paying attention.

This was one of the detours I took on my way into BRIGHT. The gravel road was fairly flat for 9k and then about 5k of uphill tight potholed corners. Perfect road to experiment with some GoPro Settings and a couple of new mounts. I’m pleased with the cinematic footage quality even and YouTube compression codec. I’m putting together a 20-minute trip video and can’t wait to invite my wife to the first screening - I’ll be looking and patient eye-rolling and the blank but oh I’m bored with facial expressions. As an added treat I’ll stop the video at key moments and give her the full key-point backstory along the way.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
You know VIC - NSW it's all the same to me one endless road, PZ. Thanks for spotting the deliberate mistake - good to see you're paying attention.

This was one of the detours I took on my way into BRIGHT. The gravel road was fairly flat for 9k and then about 5k of uphill tight potholed corners. Perfect road to experiment with some GoPro Settings and a couple of new mounts. I’m pleased with the cinematic footage quality even and YouTube compression codec. I’m putting together a 20-minute trip video and can’t wait to invite my wife to the first screening - I’ll be looking and patient eye-rolling and the blank but oh I’m bored with facial expressions. As an added treat I’ll stop the video at key moments and give her the full key-point backstory along the way.
Oh, forgot, the video footage of the run-up to Mount Hotham looks fantastic and much better than expected.

· Super Moderator
3,393 Posts
I have my accommodation booked for Phillip Island February SBK weekend and hopefully better weather this time around but whatever the weather brings I'll be there.

Reactions: Panzermann
41 - 55 of 55 Posts