BMW R1200R Forum banner

Phillip Island World SBK 2022

5K views 54 replies 10 participants last post by  mikeS 
#1 ·
Off on the next adventure - World SBK at Phillip Island with Andy, picking up the rest of the crew in Canberra.
Our RV was at Flavours Cafe Boonah, live music on Sunday and frequented by all sorts of bikers, including Andy. I found him at table 22 waiting for his aged-egg omelette - the eggs were aged about 40 minutes too long it seems, but eventually arrived. The coffee was excellent and it was great to see his cheery face again.
From there we headed down the Mount Lindesay Highway to Woodenbong, then south to Tabulam, dodging potholes while taking in the views.
The run up the Bruxner Highway was better paved and free flowing, giving me a chance to bed in new tyres properly. Wildlife en route included a very healthy looking dingo, and something that scurried very quickly across the road between us - do quolls move that fast?
We chanced our arm at Tenterfield for lunch but having lost an hour with daylight saving the cafes and bakeries were all closing - it was 2pm local time. 🙄
Heading south on the New England Highway we turned towards Bald Nob only to be turned back a few kilometres down the road by a road closure. So we headed towards Glenn Innes then onto the Gwyder Highway for a delightful run up and over the Gibraltar Range before reaching our overnight stop in the Mann Valley.
No rain today, temps up to 35°C and a lovely cool evening
Plant Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire

Gentlemen, start your engines
Plant Tire Fuel tank Wheel Vehicle

We’re off!
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive tire

Reserved parking next to Andy’s T120
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Natural landscape

Mount Lindesay
Plant Sky Plant community Natural landscape Road surface

Lindesay Highway
Tire Wheel Sky Fuel tank Vehicle

Triumph love
Wheel Tire Cloud Sky Fuel tank

Heffron Lookout
Cloud Water Sky Plant Fluvial landforms of streams

Mann River
Plant Wheel Building Window Tree

Undercover parking at Mann River Caravan Park
Cloud Sky Plant Atmosphere Ecoregion

Where cattle peacefully graze

See less See more
#2 ·
After a beautiful sunrise, a very pleasant run down the Gwyder Highway towards Grafton, the forest occasionally bejewelled with jacaranda in full bloom. We then headed south through Coutts Crossing to the Waterfall Way in time for morning tea at Ebor. I wasn’t hungry and simply ordered a pot of tea, but the vanilla slice stared at me through the display case saying, ‘Eat me, eat me’. I succumbed, but in hindsight it was a poor decision. The slice was rather stodgy, the upside being it sustained me and the stiffness of my arteries throughout the day.
We took an early lunch at Uralla to avoid the weather we’d been catching up to, lounging back in a rather funky cafe called the Alternate Root. Make of that what you wish … This time, my menu choice was excellent - a toasted vegetables and cheese panini.
The afternoon was a lazy cruise down the New England Highway. A lot of standing water around Tamworth and into the Hunter Valley, with creeks and rivers flowing fast and brown. The pictured street in Tamworth was closed just as we passed through.
Our accommodation for the night is a comfortable motel room adjacent to the Denman Hotel - good for a feed, a few beers, and a local red.

Cloud Plant Sky Atmosphere Natural landscape

Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Cloud Sky Plant Rainbow Natural landscape

Plant Tire Vehicle Road surface Motorcycle

Plant Road surface Tree Natural landscape Asphalt

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Automotive parking light

Wheel Tire Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle

Note Ducati Supersport silhouette
Smile Wood Plant Community Art

This weird guy keeps following me
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Car

This road was closed as we went through
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Cumulus

This is not a lake. Well it isn’t normally.

#3 ·
We set off this morning with bright sunshine bathing the early morning Hunter Valley as we headed down the Golden Highway. Green meadows and the occasional vineyard then gave way to huge open cut coal mines - intriguing to the little boy in me with their huge Tonka-like tipper trucks, but at the same time, a relic of the Industrial Age.
We turned down the delightful Putty Road, unfortunately somewhat hamstrung by nanny speed limits that disrupt the flow. Like the green meadows and coal mines, the smell of new wattle blossom was juxtaposed with that of the occasional road kill.
Then over to the Bells Line of Road, stopping at Bilpin for a coffee. Being apple country, Andy had to have a freshly baked apple pie, with a ‘dollop’ of cream almost as big as the pie itself.
On then to Mount Victoria and Oberon (for lunch) then making our way through undulating pasture land through Crookwell, Gunning and Sutton to stay overnight with friends in Canberra. Beers, wine, whiskey and true lies - the usual stuff when biker friends get together.
A cool day that got cooler as the day wore on, reminding me of why we moved to the Sunshine Coast.

Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Plant Fuel tank

Food Tableware Dishware Plate Drinkware

Would you like some pie with that cream, sir?
Sky Automotive tire Motor vehicle Plant Automotive lighting

Bells Line of Road
Cloud Sky Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Mount Victoria
Tire Water Wheel Plant Automotive tire

Debris from higher water levels
Cloud Sky Water Plant Tree

I sent Andy through on the Triumph to test the waters
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Helmet

There’s a bit of GS in every BMW

#4 ·
Canberra being Canberra, it was 9°C when we set off this morning, and yet school kids at the bus stop were in shorts and short sleeved shirts. 🥶
We were a bit later than planned - our host cooked bacon and eggs for all and made me a bucket of tea while I chatted to his wife about dogs (no cats ). We rendezvoused at Calwell servo with the remaining three of our party, 20 minutes later than the departure time we’d insisted on. Whoops!
Andy and I were the only bitumen riders, with a longer route to take, so we set off first. Not far down the Monaro Highway, threatening clouds turned liquid and for the next half hour we rode through sleet, the temperature having dropped to 3°C, the dash blinking a warning at me.
It passed, and with a bit of sunshine, 9° felt warm. Canberra suffered big hail storms and some snow, while our desire riders rode through falling snow on the Bobeyan Road.
We stopped for coffee at the renowned Nimmitabel Bakery, served by a very cheery young lady who brightened every customer’s day - and I told her so, for which she was .
Before long, it was time to tackle the Bonang Highway, named a highway back in the days when such a noun could be applied to any route that could passably be navigated. The bitumen was in reasonable repair, although subsidence over the years has taken its toll and 3/4 of us rather ‘dippy’. The gravel section was quite smooth, and gritty. The final 25km into Orbost was fantastic. It is more recently paved and sight lines more open. As a bonus, it was dry!
I settled into a pie at the Orbost bakery while I waited for the more conservative Andy to arrive.
A transit section followed to get to Buchan on the main highway, often heavily policed and in Victoria you can be booked for exceeding the speed limit for as little as 3 km/h.
Then the fun stated again, heading up the Great Alpine Road to Orbost, before continuing on to Benambra for the night. The section that follows the Tamba River is sublime - up there with the best of my favourites.
Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Forming up at Calwell
Tire Wheel Plant Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Bonang Highway here we come, doo-dah, do-dah … 🎶
Plant Sky Natural landscape Road surface Tree

Gravel section.
Wheel Tire Crankset Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

At least it isn’t dusty
Plant Cloud Sky Tire Vehicle

Andy exiting the gravel section
Plant Plant community Tree Wood Natural landscape

There be dragons …
Food Table Tableware Ingredient Custard tart

Hurry up Andy - not many left
Tire Wheel Cloud Plant Sky

The mainland’s highest peak, Mount Kosciusko at right on the horizon

#27 ·
I recognise your shiny pate, Pz, topping-off that still quite youthful viz, but who is that grizzled bod to your right? Could that be mikeS?: I had long thought he may perhaps have looked a bit like me, tall, dark (well, largely greyish-white these day), handsome, with touches of Geo Clooney and Errol Flynn...
And re: "steeds, tucked up in the stable" - I see no baby Jesus or mother Mary or father Joseph - wrong stable mayhap?

#8 ·
I headed off solo this morning, leaving the others to fluff around on the dirt and bitumen for another day while I headed ‘straight’ for Phillip Island.
The run down the Great Alpine Road wasn’t as satisfying as yesterday. Early morning rain had left the track, I mean, road rather wet, advising an even greater level of caution.
Planning to go through Bairnsdale, I thought it a good opportunity to catch up with cousin Peter and Julie for a cuppa - thanks guys for the short notice hospitality. 👌
I then meandered through Gippsland to the track, picked up my credentials and gear, established my campsite and headed to Cowes for fuel and some weekend supplies. Unfortunately the old pine trees in the officials campground with their lovely soft bed of needles have been removed, so my site is more exposed than otherwise.
Tomorrow morning isn’t too early a start - sign-on from 6am with briefing at 6.40. I’m flag marshalling on the infield of turn 2 (TF2.0L) so should see plenty of action. Let the games begin…
This evening I visited the famous Phillip Island Penguin Parade, where fairy penguins nervously form up in groups for fear of predators and make their way up the beach as fast as they can to their colony and burrows.
I heard on the grapevine Ironbutt @mikeS smashed out 740km Sydney to Bright the indirect way today. Likely on his second espresso martini in a local cocktail bar by now.

Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Fuel tank

Departing Benambra
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Mountain

Heading back into Omeo
Cloud Sky Plant Natural landscape Tree

Prime dairy country in Gippsland near Kongwak. You may be able to see a conga line of cows coming up the hill from the left, likely heading for the dairy for afternoon milking.
Cloud Sky Water Plant Natural landscape

View from the campground across Southern Loop to the ocean
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

There, I fixed it
Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Plant

My campsite
Cloud Water Sky Beach Fluid

Waiting for the penguins to come in from the sea and head for their colony and burrows
Bird Plant community Ecoregion Beak Ducks, geese and swans

This is not a penguin

#9 ·
You snapped pix of an interloper masquerading as a penguin @Panzermann … the things you see when you haven’t got a gun.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Panzermann
#12 ·
You snapped pix of an interloper masquerading as a penguin @Panzermann … the things you see when you haven’t got a gun.
Problee only tastes like chicken....

• Haha
#10 ·
Day 1: Ride down for the Phillip Island SBK weekend. I had planned for a 3-day run down to the Island, but with most of the riding areas in and around the central west NSW a no-go due to the flood, I decided to due 2-days instead. It worked out better as I had to cover more distance each day which suits my touring style. Oh, the original plan was to catch up with a couple of GS mates the original plan was to catch up with a couple of GS mates along the way, but long story short, they piked it because there would be too much slab riding for their liking.

From my home base in the inner west of Sydney, I made my way to Gundagai and caught up with a couple of friends for a coffee at the newly refurbished Niagara Cafe. I was on a mission to make it to Bright for my overnight stop before dark. So my catch-up had to be quick; I managed to sneak in a quick snack before my friends arrived - a classic Aussie curried egg & lettuce sandwich on think white bread (none that fancy-pants wholemeal bread).

I managed to limit my catchup to 30 mins with a quick refuel and was back on the road, taking the back road out of town to Tumut to Tumbarumba - Burra - Tallangatta - Kancoona and on to Bight for an overnight stop taking as many less travelled routes as possible.

I managed to cover 740km for the day and got into Bright before dark. Quick shower and change, I went down to the Brewery for a beer or two and pizza .. happy days!

#11 ·
Having marshalled in the UK for 20 odd years and my longest ride to a circuit was 10 hrs or so I admire your resilience to do it all again 3 weeks after the last trip, the last time I went to Philip Island it took about 36 hrs from my house in Devon to the Airbnb in Cowes! I do remember how cold it was watching the penguins though, definitely my favourite circuit, I was impressed with the taxi bus between the different sectors, saved a few aches in the old legs.
Might get to see Saturdays race but off to Cyprus on Sunday so probably miss the rest.

Al.

#13 ·
I just realised I hijack your Phillip Island thread @Panzermann Opps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#15 ·
Ok, cheers PZ. Finally arrived at San Remo - seemed a longer ride than yesterday with not as many clicks.

#16 ·
Today we were blessed with fine weather to kick off the event and shake down marshalling procedures. The weather looks to be deteriorating, especially Sunday.
Events were free practice and, for national classes, qualifying and one race (Supersport 300). There were no major incidents on our corner, the Southern Loop. My role is to operate the LED warning panel for our sector, which is pretty straightforward except I need to do a lot of swivelling to cover my sector of responsibility. If you watch the racing on TV, a small map of the circuit will sometimes appear showing the sector(s) affected by yellow flags - this graphic mirrors the LED panel’s status, and I responsible for sector 2.
This evening I went into San Remo to have dinner with the remainder of our riding party and none other than @mikeS was able to join us - great to catch up face to face again.
Sky Afterglow Water Cloud Dusk

Dawn over the Southern Loop
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Sky

I believe this is the Roadster of @MichaelD
Orange Chair Crowd Military camouflage Event

Light Black Oscilloscope Gadget Audio equipment

Automotive tire Automotive design Red Motorsport Automotive wheel system

Tire Bicycle Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive tire

Westernport Hotel
Clothing Glasses Smile Tableware Drinkware

We could be taken for twins

#20 ·
#19 · (Edited)
Day 2: The plan for the day was to have an early and take in a few roads. I hadn't been down, but it was too crisp. I decided to go for a quick stroll around the village and grab a coffee but no luck. I managed to get away around 8:00 AM. I refuelled the LC the night before and was going to knock out a few hundred km with a stop at Swifts Creek for Coffee.

From Bright, I made my way down Great Alpine Road and up the mountain to Mount Hotham Village (Ski Resort) and down the mountain to Omeo. However, before the steep and twisty (very twisty) climb up the mountain, I did a procrastination moment - I had a go-no-go moment because my trusty BMW Nav indicated the road 4ks up was closed.

The above spot is where I had my go-no-go moment, but my gut feeling was going for it.

The run-up to the top of Mount Hotham was just so good, with very little traffic coming down the mountain and nothing coming up from behind.

Here are a few random pix:

I could hear this guy coming and thought I would give him a wide berth.

I got to Swifts Creek and decided to give my coffee stop a miss and press on. However, I did have to break into my emergency rations 50km down the road.

MikeS - pop-up roadside cafe

I went to Bairnsdale-Sales and followed the coastal route into San Remo for my overnight stop. Quick check-in and unpack/shower/change of gear and catch up with the Panzer at the pub for a couple of beers and dinner.

#22 ·
Way better PZ - thanks - that coast road section is so tedious.

#23 ·
My first time at Phillip Island since the COVID restriction was lifted. I was happy to be back among the motorcycle crowd, albeit in reasonably crappy weather. I spent most of the day enjoying the sights, sounds and the great unwashed. I don’t have a running commentary about individual rides and events. I just wanted to soak up the vibe and kick back and marvel at the sheer courage of these young guns pushing the absolute limits.

I snapped a few pix around the track and had to push the limit of my trusty little Sony RX100 point-and-shoot.

A most enjoyable day out, and I can’t wait to get back to the track tomorrow.

#24 · (Edited)
I just went back to my room after what I would say was one of the most interesting hotel dinners in quite some time. I’m staying in one of the Island's better resort-style hotels; BUt dinner was a real eye-opener.

I wasn’t all that hungry, so something simple was what I wanted. A small main meal, but the waitress insisted I try the chef's entree special - a classic Italian bruschetta… bruschetta, you say - looks more like road-kill. I couldn’t stand the sight of this hideous slop.

So next came the main, a vegan mushroom risotto. The main arrived, and the serving was enough for two, but it was pretty nice but a bit too much garnishing (less is more).

I should’ve quit while I was ahead but I thought one scoop of lemon sorbet would be nice. But, no, the chef
insisted on upgrading my order - on the house.

#25 ·
As Mike says, a great day at the track, despite the weather. No major dramas at our pinpoint, but a few heart in the mouth moments and the safety car got a bit crossed up a few times.
The after work bbq was very enjoyable, with a number of notable people interviewed. Of particular note was Troy Corser’s description of his win on the 98 year old supercharged BMW, in response to a question. He tapped John McGuinness on the backside as he passed him as that’s what John had done to him the year prior, unaware that he was taking the lead. Pressing on at ‘best speed’ his aggregate time was short enough to win the event. It was particularly satisfying as McGuinness was on a newly blue-printed Manx Norton and the BMW was big stock original, down to every nut and bolt. The win brought the owner, who had built the bike, to tears.
Sky Cloud Building Plant Grass

All quiet in the pits, ready for the day’s action.
Vehicle Helmet Tire Motor vehicle Workwear

Brew time at Turn 2.
Cloud Sky Water resources Water Ecoregion

The sun and blue sky finally broke through in the late afternoon, but tomorrow promises rain. Whilst Mike kicks back in his resort, critiquing the quirky menu, I’m listening to heavy rain pattering on my little tent, and the sound of running water around me.
Podium Coat Crowd Chair Suit

The Paddock Show.
Beer Drinkware Yellow Alcoholic beverage Finger

There are advantages in the naming rights sponsor being an excellent local brewery.👌
Baseball cap Cap Belt Hat Competition event

The faces behind the voices of Workd SBK commentary, Alex Raby and Steve English.
Smile Microphone Gesture Cap Baseball cap

Garrett Gerloff World SBK #31.
Smile Face Cap Sleeve Cricket cap

Cap Eyewear Smile T-shirt Baseball cap

Aussie Troy Corser, 2x World SBK, 1x Aust and 1x US Superbike champion.

#26 ·
Good race! and great event reporting.

#29 ·
It seemed to rain all night at the track. Fortunately my tent remained watertight - other campers weren’t so fortunate. Despite an ominous forecast, Sunday’s racing wasn’t unduly affected, with heavier weather mainly between events.
The Tissot Superpole Race started on a wet track and most of the field ran a full wet front tyre and intermediate rear (same compound as a slick, but grooved). Of the fancied runners, only Bautista ran full slicks. His team must have looked out of the pit garage window, asked a local, or even checked the online weather radar, as their judgement proved correct. After tippy toeing around for much of the race, as the track dried he moved readily forward from 13th position to take the lead from the Kawasaki boys and Toprak as they started to struggle with their tyres. Rea tried on vain to mount a challenge but remained unsuccessful.
The final World SBK race was also a cracker but was red flagged when Xavi Fores overcooked Turn 1 and t-boned an unsuspecting Eugene Laverty in his final SBK race before retirement. It was a big one, with Laverty and his bike tumbling violently across the infield.
Laverty was motionless then raised only one arm to call for assistance while Xavi was running straight over to him then immediately signalingor medical assistance. Laverty has been diagnosed with a pelvic injury and was helicoptered to a Melbourne hospital.
As we packed up, a very heavy rain storm set in. My path back to the marshals shed took me to the path of Laverty’s bike and a chance to ponder the ferocity of the crash.
There was a gap in the rainstorm as I started packing up and @MichaelD stopped by fir a chat. But when it came time to pack up the tent, rain once again set in.
The ride back to my son’s place in Melbourne started okay but 20 minutes out a severe rain storm hit, with sheets of rain buffeting the Panzer and me, and very difficult visibility. My rain gear couldn’t quite cope and I arrived with a wet crutch and damp feet. A hot shower and a couple reds fixed that.
Today is a rest day, visiting family in Geelong and a friend nearby.
Tarpaulin Tent Shade Camping Tree

Not my campsite!
Jeans Sky Cloud City Leisure

The Green Army marching towards the Orange Army for the group photo. We outnumbered them, but not by much.
Sky Plant Cloud Tree Asphalt

We did have periods of sunshine.
Sky Sports uniform Workwear Plant Orange

My colleagues and me. We were so slick, we were known as Team WD40.
Photo credit Rebecca from Pit Lane Studio. She may not have the most expensive rig, but takes some cracker action shots of the bikes (and marshals …)
Food Tableware Ingredient Staple food Baked goods

One of my colleagues spiced up his sandwich.
Cloud Sky Natural landscape Highland Asphalt

Most of the heavy weather was to the north.
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Vehicle Automotive tire

I’m the orange dot at the left of the flag point.
Natural landscape People in nature Agriculture Grass Plant

The trajectory of Laverty’s bike.
Snow Slope Carmine Winter Art

One of two small pieces of carbon fibre from Laverty’s bike I noticed at the initial impact area, missed by marshals attending the carnage immediately following the crash.

#33 ·
What a great epistle. I did enjoy the read.
Did you guys visit The Christmas Shop at Bright? It is like something out of a Hollywood movie and well worth seeing.
Ken
(Lake Macquarie, NSW)
Thanks Ken
I’ve been through Bright on numerous Phillip Island trips, and can’t say I’ve noticed the Christmas shop. Does that mean I’m off Santa’s good list?
I’ve recently been to one in Oberammergau though, and that was pretty special.
Furniture Table Wood Leisure Market

#31 ·
Long day out on LC coming back from Philip Island World SBK weekend. Weather-wise very ordinary with wind gusts of up to 70 km/h (probably more) and in and out of showers most of the day. I planned to do the return trip in two days but in the end, decided to press on back to Sydney. The ride home was tough not physically but more mentally to keep motivated and focused and press on - All up for today's 1016km. I enjoyable 5-days away and of course, it was great to catch up with the Panzer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.