BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve been wanting to fit a Quadlock phone mount for some time but with tapered bars, the only practical real estate was already taken by the Barkbuster hand guard bracket. I finally twigged that I could attach a RAM ball mount to the said brackets.
I used a short bracket to link to a ball Quadlock mount. The anti-vibration attachment adds bulk and height but I thought it judicious given my iPhone has image stabilisation.
While my NavVI is useful for long trips, it’s tedious for quick local trips. Apple Maps are very convenient, link to calendar appointments, and take consideration of current traffic, as well as announce speed camera locations.
I haven’t yet got my Cardo Q1 headset to transmit Hey Siri commands (if it can be done).
Light Product Motor vehicle Bicycle handlebar Audio equipment

·
Registered
875 Posts
I’ve been wanting to fit a Quadlock phone mount for some time but with tapered bars, the only practical real estate was already taken by the Barkbuster hand guard bracket. I finally twigged that I could attach a RAM ball mount to the said brackets.
I used a short bracket to link to a ball Quadlock mount. The anti-vibration attachment adds bulk and height but I thought it judicious given my iPhone has image stabilisation.
While my NavVI is useful for long trips, it’s tedious for quick local trips. Apple Maps are very convenient, link to calendar appointments, and take consideration of current traffic, as well as announce speed camera locations.
I haven’t yet got my Cardo Q1 headset to transmit Hey Siri commands (if it can be done).
View attachment 115861
Have you tried Google map's voice commands? And there must be some other nav apps in the Apple app store that work with your Cardo.
My Schuberth/Sena works great with Google Maps, but I have to Unpair/Forget the "BMW Connect" blue tooth. It's got an annoying persisitent habit of trying to force pairing with my phone. (Motorola G7 Power).
The BMW app is designed to integrate with the BMW Connected APP. I find the mapping software is a little primitve and still using WunderlinQ gadget.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
@Panzermann another Ram option if you're short of real-estate is the ball that attaches to your mirror stem. If you hunt around here, you might be able to find a post I made several years ago with my solution to relocating the NAV cradle. It's includes said Ram ball. If you can't find it (and really want to) reply and I'll see if I can.

Edit: never mind - it was easy to find ...

·
Registered
115 Posts
I got rid of the BMW nav mount and replaced it with an SP Connect anti-vibration mount with wireless charger. Works perfectly for short or long trips. I just can’t bear the thought of being dependent on dedicated hardware nav units that are expensive, slow and barely get software feature updates.

In your case I’d get the BMW smartphone case with wireless charging that fits on the nav mount on short trips instead of the navigator (seems to be your only use for smartphone navigation). That way you don’t need to clutter the handlebar with an additional mount.

·
Premium Member
685 Posts
I wasted, uh, invested, a bundle on BMW’s new Connected Ride cradle which connects to the Nav Sat cradle and takes an iPhone. Waiting for it to arrive.

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Good job @Panzermann and I fitted a Quadlock/antivibration mount. So useful particularly with Waze real-time notifications.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: Panzermann

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the suggestions, guys. I’m happy with the outcome and don’t mind having both devices on board at once. It means I have the phone in reach if I choose when on tour, where I’m using the NavVI for route navigation, which is my preference for such situations.
I do get excellent audio from my phone apps to my Cardo (and the built-in comms in my Sena open face that I use locally in the warmer weather). It’s the ability to say ‘Hey Siri’ and have the phone recognise it that I haven’t figured (if it’s possible).

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I like how you have screwed the anti vibration mount directly to the bike, @mikeS. I’d not thought of that approach, but it works well with your relocated Nav unit.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Good job @Panzermann and I fitted a Quadlock/antivibration mount. So useful particularly with Waze real-time notifications.

Bloody hell, Mike - how many hands do you have?!

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
  • Haha

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
As you know LoS, I'm a pretty hand sort of guy.

Even that number of hands and digits would hardly seem enough! :D

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Even that number of hands and digits would hardly seem enough! :D
IMHO - For my needs all functional and serve a specific purpose - ride more, travel further and doing it my way. Just saying...

·
Registered
115 Posts
It means I have the phone in reach when on tour, where I’m using the Nav, which is my preference for such situations.
I did forget to mention that the smartphone I use for navigation is an older phone used just for navigation. My main phone is always in my pocket so that in the event that I survive an accident, but am separated from the motorcycle, I still can use the phone to call emergency services if no one else is around at the accident scene.

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
You've heard of Edward Scissorhands, I'm sure. Now meet Mike Fractalfingers. 😂

Oh, and how many eyes would you need to take in all that data? Mike is a man of great gifts and talents, I've observed.

Forehead Face Nose Cheek Chin

Reactions: mikeS

·
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
@sturgeon wins the prize for best unsolicited suggestion. While I was happy with my fitment, I realised that with my tank bag fitted, it would foul the phone when turning the ‘bars fully left. I’ve ordered the mirror adapter.
Using the phone to navigate some errands this morning, I found its battery depleted fairly quickly. I have a USB power outlet on the Nav bracket which successfully charged my old phone, but not this one it seems. I may change it to a Merit plug and use the adapter I bought for the accessory socket.
Going back to an earlier point, tapping the ‘phone’ button on my Cardo allows me to use Siri, so I can readily enter a destination by voice - not necessarily the destination I spoke, but Siri’s interpretation. Still, it’s a destination, and the journey is the most important thing, I say.

Reactions: fireman and mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Yes, I can do the same using Siri. I was surprised and also on the SatNav selecting voice dial gets me to my phone contacts with voice commands.

• Haha

·
Registered
5,331 Posts

I point no fingers - even if I had 24 as in the pic above - but does this not lend itself to those with lingering masturbatory tendencies? Not that any beemerista would be so inclined of course...:rolleyes:

• Wow

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
I point no fingers - even if I had 24 as in the pic above - but does this not lend itself to those with lingering masturbatory tendencies? Not that any beemerista would be so inclined of course...:rolleyes:
I couldn't possibly confirm or deny Los but I like the way you think.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
@sturgeon wins the prize for best unsolicited suggestion. While I was happy with my fitment, I realised that with my tank bag fitted, it would foul the phone when turning the ‘bars fully left. I’ve ordered the mirror adapter.
Memories of my old oilhead 1150 RT. I had a tank bag on that thing that would press the horn button at full left. Very embarrassing at one long-ago border crossing (Buffalo to Fort Erie). My habit was to shut off the engine by deploying the side stand while fishing around for my passport. The crossing guard just rolled her eyes and signalled me to move along. That's when I discovered that there was an actual manufactured accessory that you could bolt over one end of the horn switch to prevent such things. Made me feel better knowing I wasn't the only moron who accidentally laid on the horn while stopped.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts