Which engine crash protection do you chose/vote for

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello,
While I have personally opted for the cylinder-covers,
I am wondering what you/others/more experienced riders have opted for, as well as the reason(s) for the choice made,
And I have therefore also added a poll and would appreciate if you could also reason your own choice.

As to me, I have opted for the cylinders-covers since
  • IMHO cosmetically they look far better
  • in the particular case of my motorcycle, they cover the scuffs the previous owner has caused/inflicted on the left cylinder

While on the other hand
  • I would expect crash-bars to actually provide far better protection - and thus considering adding them too - simply because unlike the cylinders-covers, crash-bars prevent the cylinders from even touching the ground i.e. they provide complete IMPACT-protection (which also implies FRICTION-protection) to the cylinders, whereas cylinders-covers only provide FRICTION-protection, since even tough they have some rubber inside them for cushioning - for the most part they would pass on the impact shock to the cylinder
  • While I have read somewhere that crash-bars could cause more damage than that they prevent - to me the fact they are extremely popular among GS's is a testimony to the contrary;
  • Last but not least - you could mount/install highway-pegs on them :)

p.s. cylinders-covers refer to e.g. the mamo X-head

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Only my own experience - I've used crash bars on big dual-sports, where crashing was a regular event for me. Rough terrain, off-road, etc. On my road bikes I have cylinder covers, MaMo to be exact. I haven't crashed a road bike for many many years, despite putting lots of miles on them, criss-crossing N America. I did have my R1200R blown over by the wind once; the cylinder cover did its job probably preventing a big gouge in the valve cover. The valve cover did however get slightly displaced, and leaked a few drops of oil until I noticed and loosened and re-tightened the bolts. The guards I used on my enduro bikes worked well at preventing damage from numerous spills in the dirt. Another option that I used with Moto Guzzis was frame sliders, but they're probably not appropriate for BMW horizontally opposed engines. Evotech makes some engine protection that's a little less obtrusive than big tubular guards.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,696 Posts
to me the fact they are extremely popular among GS's is a testimony to the contrary;
GS crash bars are protecting against low speed spills in rough terrain, I expect, rather than a bitumen slide. The former is part of normal business - the latter the stuff of insurance claims.
I see cylinder head protection on a road bike as preventing damage in a topple, and increasing the likelihood of being able to continue after a lowside.

Reactions: somomule

·
Registered
355 Posts
Crash bars for me. I find the ones I chose to be relatively unobtrusive. Heavy but the 1250 has plenty of spare horses to handle the weight.

One important difference (for me) is that crash bars are a great place to mount additional lighting etc.

Vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Motorcycle Tire

Tire Wheel Automotive lighting Automotive tire Tread

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
... I did have my R1200R blown over by the wind once; the cylinder cover did its job probably preventing a big gouge in the valve cover. The valve cover did however get slightly displaced, and leaked a few drops of oil until I noticed and loosened and re-tightened the bolts. ...
Are you saying that even though you have already experienced impact-damage, and that arguably impact-damage could be much worse, you still do not feel the need for crash-bars ?

·
Registered
2012 R1200R
136 Posts
I didn't actually choose since my bike came with a set of SW Motech crash bars. I did drop the bike, bars did their job. The bike also had LED lights mounted to the bars, so they're good for that. I also occasionally throw my heels over the bars to stretch my legs. I'd pick the bars over the covers. Bars may be more functional, covers look better.

Reactions: rxc

·
Registered
2,367 Posts
Are you saying that even though you have already experienced impact-damage, and that arguably impact-damage could be much worse, you still do not feel the need for crash-bars ?
It wasn't damage, just a slight shift in the valve cover, which has a soft flexible rubber seal, enough to cause a bit of oil to ooze out. It was about a 90-second fix. The amount of oil leaked wasn't even enough to merit adding more. My thinking is that crashing a bike at speed on a hard surface will probably cause enough damage to make it unrideable, no matter how much protection is added to it. For me, the MaMo covers are for parking lot or very low speed tip-overs. For that, they work quite well.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Have had 2 parking lot tip overs with my OEM cylinder head covers and on both events they protected the covers despite the bike flipping over.

The end of the clutch lever broke off as designed on the first tip over and the scuff pad on the cover was scraped. It was easily replaced for $25

·
Registered
355 Posts
As the guy who has the Wunderlich crash bars, I agree that the plastic covers are probably fine for a parking lot tip-over and that crash bars, no matter how heavy duty, are unlikely to offer much protection in the event of a substantial get-off.

I had the plastic XMount covers but elected to switch.

Crash bars provide a mount for lights and perfect protection in the event of a minor gravity attack - for anything else, there's insurance.

·
Registered
965 Posts
A nice thing about crash bars is that they make great tie down points when using a trailer. No fuss in looking for a sturdy point to tie down the front without stressing parts.

Reactions: v-rider

·
Registered
2017 BMW R1200R Sport
13 Posts
I opted for crash bars in the knowledge that at some point I will drop my bike as I have with every other bike I have owned and lo and behold I did and the bars did there job!

Tire Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Azure

·
Registered
36 Posts
My R came with Givi head covers but after catching my trousers/pants bottoms (cuffs?) in them a couple of times when coming to a stop, nearly coming off in the process, I decided to remove them and replace with MachineArt ones. The MA ones are snug to the valve/head covers whereas the Givi’s left a sizeable gap.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
On my previous Camhead I had SW Motech engine bars - well build and very strong. If I was to fit bars on my LC I’d probably go with the Wunderlich sports bars.

However, on my ‘17 LC, I went with MachineArt x-head covers. I was unlucky enough to put them to a couple of real-world tests and both times managed to continue (limp home). Once had a front wheel wash out mid-corner on loose gravel. Also, had this distracted driver dart out in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: dbyker and v-rider

·
Registered
36 Posts
Bloody hell, certainly reinforces the argument for getting a dash-cam; I like your mild description of “a distracted driver” not what most of us would have said I reckon.

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
Bloody hell, certainly reinforces the argument for getting a dash-cam; I like your mild description of “a distracted driver” not what most of us would have said I reckon.
I was very lucky to have the video because as the driver claimed I ran into car and it was my fault. I provided the video footable to my insurance company and everything was sorted.

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
199 Posts
I was very lucky to have the video because as the driver claimed I ran into car and it was my fault. I provided the video footable to my insurance company and everything was sorted.
I see a car coming from a strange direction te be turning right.
On the other hand I see I motorcyclist not doing much of an effort to avoid driving into a practically still standing car.
I am afraid my insurance company would not be as easily convinced.
Glad you are okay though.

EDIT:
I see the graph now, seems you have been breaking much harder that the actual footage made me believe.
So I stand corrected!

·
Registered
2012 R1200R, K27, Light-grey Metallic
199 Posts
I voted cylinder covers. Most cylinder covers improve the look of the naked cylinders. Crashbars are too much of a design degradation in my opinion. Of course function over design and all that, but I do not intend to crash my bike, and if I do I doubt it will help much. For any accidental tip-overs, the covers will be enough, and besides that I did not have that happen with any of my bikes ever in 17 years of riding.

Reactions: mikeS

·
Super Moderator
3,317 Posts
I see a car coming from a strange direction te be turning right.
On the other hand I see I motorcyclist not doing much of an effort to avoid driving into a practically still standing car.
I am afraid my insurance company would not be as easily convinced.
Glad you are okay though.

EDIT:
I see the graph now, seems you have been breaking much harder that the actual footage made me believe.
So I stand corrected!
The video while proves who's at fault it doesn't give a good sense of how fast thing were unfolding and also what was also happening around the rider. The car driver attempted to make a right hand turn from left had curd side. The car was parked on the left hand side and shot across two lanes in front of oncoming traffic. Anyway, all worked out okay and the MachineArt headcovers did their job for a second time. All good.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts