BMW R1200R Forum banner

Which engine crash protection do you chose/vote for

POLL: Motorcycle engine crash protection: Cylinder-covers/protectors vs. crash-bars ?

5K views 33 replies 16 participants last post by  Jack the Lad 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello,
While I have personally opted for the cylinder-covers,
I am wondering what you/others/more experienced riders have opted for, as well as the reason(s) for the choice made,
And I have therefore also added a poll and would appreciate if you could also reason your own choice.

As to me, I have opted for the cylinders-covers since
  • IMHO cosmetically they look far better
  • in the particular case of my motorcycle, they cover the scuffs the previous owner has caused/inflicted on the left cylinder

While on the other hand
  • I would expect crash-bars to actually provide far better protection - and thus considering adding them too - simply because unlike the cylinders-covers, crash-bars prevent the cylinders from even touching the ground i.e. they provide complete IMPACT-protection (which also implies FRICTION-protection) to the cylinders, whereas cylinders-covers only provide FRICTION-protection, since even tough they have some rubber inside them for cushioning - for the most part they would pass on the impact shock to the cylinder
  • While I have read somewhere that crash-bars could cause more damage than that they prevent - to me the fact they are extremely popular among GS's is a testimony to the contrary;
  • Last but not least - you could mount/install highway-pegs on them :)

p.s. cylinders-covers refer to e.g. the mamo X-head

See less See more
#2 ·
Only my own experience - I've used crash bars on big dual-sports, where crashing was a regular event for me. Rough terrain, off-road, etc. On my road bikes I have cylinder covers, MaMo to be exact. I haven't crashed a road bike for many many years, despite putting lots of miles on them, criss-crossing N America. I did have my R1200R blown over by the wind once; the cylinder cover did its job probably preventing a big gouge in the valve cover. The valve cover did however get slightly displaced, and leaked a few drops of oil until I noticed and loosened and re-tightened the bolts. The guards I used on my enduro bikes worked well at preventing damage from numerous spills in the dirt. Another option that I used with Moto Guzzis was frame sliders, but they're probably not appropriate for BMW horizontally opposed engines. Evotech makes some engine protection that's a little less obtrusive than big tubular guards.

#5 ·
... I did have my R1200R blown over by the wind once; the cylinder cover did its job probably preventing a big gouge in the valve cover. The valve cover did however get slightly displaced, and leaked a few drops of oil until I noticed and loosened and re-tightened the bolts. ...
Are you saying that even though you have already experienced impact-damage, and that arguably impact-damage could be much worse, you still do not feel the need for crash-bars ?

#3 ·
to me the fact they are extremely popular among GS's is a testimony to the contrary;
GS crash bars are protecting against low speed spills in rough terrain, I expect, rather than a bitumen slide. The former is part of normal business - the latter the stuff of insurance claims.
I see cylinder head protection on a road bike as preventing damage in a topple, and increasing the likelihood of being able to continue after a lowside.

#8 ·
I didn't actually choose since my bike came with a set of SW Motech crash bars. I did drop the bike, bars did their job. The bike also had LED lights mounted to the bars, so they're good for that. I also occasionally throw my heels over the bars to stretch my legs. I'd pick the bars over the covers. Bars may be more functional, covers look better.

Reactions: rxc
#10 ·
Have had 2 parking lot tip overs with my OEM cylinder head covers and on both events they protected the covers despite the bike flipping over.

The end of the clutch lever broke off as designed on the first tip over and the scuff pad on the cover was scraped. It was easily replaced for $25

#11 · (Edited)
As the guy who has the Wunderlich crash bars, I agree that the plastic covers are probably fine for a parking lot tip-over and that crash bars, no matter how heavy duty, are unlikely to offer much protection in the event of a substantial get-off.

I had the plastic XMount covers but elected to switch.

Crash bars provide a mount for lights and perfect protection in the event of a minor gravity attack - for anything else, there's insurance.

#14 ·
My R came with Givi head covers but after catching my trousers/pants bottoms (cuffs?) in them a couple of times when coming to a stop, nearly coming off in the process, I decided to remove them and replace with MachineArt ones. The MA ones are snug to the valve/head covers whereas the Givi’s left a sizeable gap.

#15 ·
On my previous Camhead I had SW Motech engine bars - well build and very strong. If I was to fit bars on my LC I’d probably go with the Wunderlich sports bars.

However, on my ‘17 LC, I went with MachineArt x-head covers. I was unlucky enough to put them to a couple of real-world tests and both times managed to continue (limp home). Once had a front wheel wash out mid-corner on loose gravel. Also, had this distracted driver dart out in front of me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Wow
Reactions: dbyker and v-rider
#17 ·
I was very lucky to have the video because as the driver claimed I ran into car and it was my fault. I provided the video footable to my insurance company and everything was sorted.

#19 ·
I voted cylinder covers. Most cylinder covers improve the look of the naked cylinders. Crashbars are too much of a design degradation in my opinion. Of course function over design and all that, but I do not intend to crash my bike, and if I do I doubt it will help much. For any accidental tip-overs, the covers will be enough, and besides that I did not have that happen with any of my bikes ever in 17 years of riding.

Reactions: mikeS
#21 ·
but I do not intend to crash my bike, and if I do I doubt it will help much. For any accidental tip-overs, the covers will be enough, and besides that I did not have that happen with any of my bikes ever in 17 years of riding.
Does anyone intend to crash their bike? The fact that you never had a tip over in 17 years means little. We're getting older, and with age comes less strength and balance. I'm 59 and have noticed in the last year or two it takes more effort and concentration just pushing my bikes around.

• Helpful
Reactions: dbyker
#22 ·
No I don't think anyone intends to crash their bike. But I often see examples that make me question why some people do so little to prevent it. I guess I am from the cautious camp ;)
When I am confronted with any balance problems, I hope I will be sensible enough to end my hobby before my hobby ends me :unsure:
For the unfortunate tip-overs, I think covers are sufficient. That's why I have those (actually the previous owner had them already) and why I voted for them.

Reactions: v-rider
#26 ·
I've had two slides at speeds between 20 - 40 kph and both with machinery Art Moto x-head covers on my R12R LC and was able to limp/ride back home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#29 ·
I’m one of the (thus far) two people who voted for None. I’ve always chosen to take my chances when it comes to my bikes, and so far have had no cause to regret that practice. I count on my forty years of riding experience and dumb luck to avoid incidents, and vanity precludes the addition of anything that, in my eyes, mucks up the bike’s appearance. I’ve never owned a boxer engine before, so actually those boxer cylinder head covers aren’t too bad, but I’ll probably still continue to count on luck.

#33 ·
If the crash is severe enough to blow through a set of MAMo covers, there's going to be excessive damage elsewhere on the bike, and with guards will probably crack the engine case or bend the frame.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

#34 · (Edited)
I doubt you'd have to slide very far to abrade the plastic through to the soft ally covers.

I tend to think in terms of "can I ride home after a get-off, or is it definitely going to be a tow truck event". Anything even remotely serious, and it is insurance and tow truck time, so for me, the difference between covers and crash bars is simply a question of degree.

Crash bars provide more (although still limited) protection than covers; covers are vastly, hugely superior to nothing at all.

Just a question of how much risk you want to take relative to the importance - or otherwise - of looks.

I think the Momo covers are very good and they look very unobtrusive, but for tip-over purposes only as far as I'm concerned.

I'd rather use the Wunderlich covers as I have a bit more confidence in Wunderlich's design & testing capabilities. If I didn't want extra lights that are easier with the crash bars that's the direction I'd be going.

Each to his or her own;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.