BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all just cleaned my r1250 after a run today - well thorough / wash - polish / wax due to the pathetic over gritting of Scottish roads and noticed apart from the usual rubbish shot blasted centre stand bar the r 1250 seems to be blasting the centre link pipe between the Downpipes too - I can defo feel a warranty claim coming on for both because at 370 miles it’s just not good enough - **** weather protection / centre stand bar / downpipes link bar , front timing case all being battered from grit / stones etc from the front wheel - all because they can’t be a””sed to fit a decent front guard mud flap / extender - ‘ something ‘ , ditto at rear end due to same , I love the 1250!shiftcam but the rest is almost thrown on as an afterthought - really not good enough bmw - a new Yamaha 900 tracer gt is looking even more promising by the day - or maybe a secondhand gs low as I have a full set of mudsling set for it - , why should you have to pay £14 k for your new bike then fork out time and time again to road / weather proof your bike - so disappointed - think a e mail to motorrad uk is Iminent also 🙁👎

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
I’ll need to have a look at the link pipe. Over all the bike still looks mint after almost 4000 miles – umm apart from the front engine cover. I figured when I bought the bike – that engine cover is bound to be a warranty claim at some point.

It is still pretty cold at the mo as you know, but I’m itching to get back out on the bike. I did take it out last weekend, but I’m trying to keep it tucked up in the garage for now – there is just so much crap on the roads.

Things will be much better once all the road grit has gone. There is the BMW extended mudguard for the rear.

I did try the Pyramid Plastics extended front mudguard – but I didn’t like the fit at all. It’s going back sadly – fingers crossed I get a full refund.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I’ll need to have a look at the link pipe. Over all the bike still looks mint after almost 4000 miles – umm apart from the front engine cover. I figured when I bought the bike – that engine cover is bound to be a warranty claim at some point.

It is still pretty cold at the mo as you know, but I’m itching to get back out on the bike. I did take it out last weekend, but I’m trying to keep it tucked up in the garage for now – there is just so much crap on the roads.

Things will be much better once all the road grit has gone. There is the BMW extended mudguard for the rear.

I did try the Pyramid Plastics extended front mudguard – but I didn’t like the fit at all. It’s going back sadly – fingers crossed I get a full refund.
[/QUOTE. Yes check it out no wonder they have it tucked away under the timing case , I just can’t stop comparing it to the gs Gareth , it’s not naked it’s unprepared for anything apart from Miami or south of France . Yes roads are a disgrace eh usual lots of lovely rain / wind - no salt then oh no temp has to drop below o - doesn’t matter the roads are dry - put another 5 ,000 tons of salt down -

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yes please do , no wonder it’s tucked away under the timing case - it’s not a naked bike it’s an unprepared one only fit for Miami or south of France weather - yes let’s bang another 50,000 tons of salt down eh

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yes please do , no wonder it’s tucked away under the timing case - it’s not a naked bike it’s an unprepared one only fit for Miami or south of France weather - yes let’s bang another 50,000 tons of salt down eh

well we went from Scotland to Hull - hook of Holland , top of Germany , up through Denmark , up west coast of Norway , back down Denmark to upper saxony / hook of Holland / hull / home and the gs looked cleaner than a run to callender and back today , the lack of weather protection ie mudguards are a real let down on this bike

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
I'm not prepared to bin my whole bike over it, but, otherwise I would agree the front fender is just a parody. The rear doesn't even have that much. I just came in from washing my R in 29F after Thursday's run in snow and sleet on the freshly sanded and salted turnpike. The salty slush mist front the semi trucks made them.kind of moot, but I was fairly satisfied with the ilmberger hugger and I have mounted the ilmberger extended front fender for the S1000XR at their recommendation when I asked about a longer one. I would design one a little fuller widthwise and probably 4 - 5 inches longer still. It did make a noticeable difference and looks great too.

There was a time when BMWs came from Berlin equipped for all weather. They're way too smart to build them like that anymore. And I'm not willing to trade my 136HP for great fenders on a 58HP or so R65.

·
Registered
720 Posts
If BMW put an R50/2 rear fender on a R1250R, people would laugh at it. Not that the laughing wouldn't be a cruel expression of modern ignorance, but imagine....

·
Registered
32 Posts

Hi Gareth,
I had the rear license plate arm extender infill thingy that I believe you’re referring too... it did nothing to be honest, the rear of the bike would be covered in crap within minutes of raining. I had a mudsling, fender extender on the front and that infill at the rear and the R was the worst bike I’ve ever had for riding in wet weather..... I would literally have to hose my jacket off at the back!! I live in Devon and ride in all weathers so you can imagine all the cow and horse **** over the rear of the bike and me....To be honest I found it a mystery how bad it could get because with that infill on the license plate arm it looked like it would be well covered...

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
We’re victims of the fashion that the motorcycling community has demanded. Heck, most don’t even care if the pillion seat is functional, let alone mudguards work.

Welcome to the 21st century - the Roadster is already a bit ‘out there’ in its practicality. Don’t expect Nirvana, I say, or you’ll end up with a bike that appeals to such a small niche in the market it won’t even be manufactured.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hi Gareth,
I had the rear license plate arm extender infill thingy that I believe you’re referring too... it did nothing to be honest, the rear of the bike would be covered in crap within minutes of raining. I had a mudsling, fender extender on the front and that infill at the rear and the R was the worst bike I’ve ever had for riding in wet weather..... I would literally have to hose my jacket off at the back!! I live in Devon and ride in all weathers so you can imagine all the cow and horse **** over the rear of the bike and me....To be honest I found it a mystery how bad it could get because with that infill on the license plate arm it looked like it would be well covered...
Yes now that’s what I’m talking about , my wife ( well I have to lol) wash and clean the whole inside legs of her textile trousers if we out in even the dampest of roads which we ( I ) have never had to do from Norway to Spain and a lot of places in between , last year was torrential rain on the Brenner pass on the f800 gt and was fine . After about 2 miles ( if that ) the 1250 r is black and trust me no one loves motorbikes and cleaning them as much as me (48 years and counting ) washing / cleaning is a joke after a short run 👎 I’m going to try my gs mudsling and see if it will fit but no idea about the back - we now having to get a pair of over trousers to go over my wives textile s if it’s wet ! Just rubbish and with more inclement weather than good here in pot hole city Scotland it’s not looking good

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
We’re victims of the fashion that the motorcycling community has demanded. Heck, most don’t even care if the pillion seat is functional, let alone mudguards work.

Welcome to the 21st century - the Roadster is already a bit ‘out there’ in its practicality. Don’t expect Nirvana, I say, or you’ll end up with a bike that appeals to such a small niche in the market it won’t even be manufactured.
Yes totally agree , does not matter one bit if it’s comfortable etc as long as it looks good on that showroom floor eh - well I’m still seriously interested in the new Yamaha 900 gt but on purpose will pick a foul day to test it this time - even been looking at s/ hand f800 gt again

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes now that’s what I’m talking about , my wife ( well I have to lol) wash and clean the whole inside legs of her textile trousers if we out in even the dampest of roads which we ( I ) have never had to do from Norway to Spain and a lot of places in between , last year was torrential rain on the Brenner pass on the f800 gt and was fine . After about 2 miles ( if that ) the 1250 r is black and trust me no one loves motorbikes and cleaning them as much as me (48 years and counting ) washing / cleaning is a joke after a short run 👎 I’m going to try my gs mudsling and see if it will fit but no idea about the back - we now having to get a pair of over trousers to go over my wives textile s if it’s wet ! Just rubbish and with more inclement weather than good here in pot hole city Scotland it’s not looking good
Ok tried the gs mudsling on the front , would maybe go if I cut off the side captive fixings but not going to risk it but it looks like it would be good as it sort of points straight down from the tyre and would clear the side spoiler things too but on downside appears to be quite heavy , might be forced to butcher the mudsling yet lol

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok tried the gs mudsling on the front , would maybe go if I cut off the side captive fixings but not going to risk it but it looks like it would be good as it sort of points straight down from the tyre and would clear the side spoiler things too but on downside appears to be quite heavy , might be forced to butcher the mudsling yet lol
And found a good way to keep some weather off her legs and back of bike lol , looked out the old trusty Oxford sports expandable soft bags from Norway 🇳🇴 Just need to blank that bit off under the top box and sorted lol

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts

It’s weird. Look the majority of bikers today are sunny summer Sunday bikers. And yeah I like my sunny summer Sunday rides. I’m no all year round ‘real biker’. But I also like to commute from spring to autumn and I don’t mind getting wet, but what I can’t stand is getting filthy.

It wouldn’t take much to stop this bike covering the rider (and/or passenger) in road grime every time it rains. My last two bikes have been nakeds (well albeit with small nose fairings) and I never got covered in crap – and no they didn’t look silly.

I don’t quite get it. Look the RTnines are hipster bikes – their priority is fun and looking super cool – nothing wrong with that. I thought about getting a RnineT but dismissed it as I need a little practicality.

The R1250R is sold with optional full hard luggage fittings. The RS is the same bike but with a substantial half fairing and is marketed as a full on sports tourer.

And all it is, is a matter of is being an inch or two longer on the tail (maybe an inch wider) plus a front mudguard which is actually a mudguard.

Me? Despite this bikes numerous niggly faults, I have fallen for it – I think I love the darn thing. So that maybe leaves me looking for a wet weather bike for daily use – keep the BMW for the dry days.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Hi Gareth,

Oh well I won’t bother with the license plate extender then. Yup I’ve had road crap all over my legs and all over the back of my jacket.

Which also means if you pull over for a coffee or a bite to eat on a wet day – well dare one sit down in the café/restaurant. Not good.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It’s weird. Look the majority of bikers today are sunny summer Sunday bikers. And yeah I like my sunny summer Sunday rides. I’m no all year round ‘real biker’. But I also like to commute from spring to autumn and I don’t mind getting wet, but what I can’t stand is getting filthy.

It wouldn’t take much to stop this bike covering the rider (and/or passenger) in road grime every time it rains. My last two bikes have been nakeds (well albeit with small nose fairings) and I never got covered in crap – and no they didn’t look silly.

I don’t quite get it. Look the RTnines are hipster bikes – their priority is fun and looking super cool – nothing wrong with that. I thought about getting a RnineT but dismissed it as I need a little practicality.

The R1250R is sold with optional full hard luggage fittings. The RS is the same bike but with a substantial half fairing and is marketed as a full on sports tourer.

And all it is, is a matter of is being an inch or two longer on the tail (maybe an inch wider) plus a front mudguard which is actually a mudguard.

Me? Despite this bikes numerous niggly faults, I have fallen for it – I think I love the darn thing. So that maybe leaves me looking for a wet weather bike for daily use – keep the BMW for the dry days.
Yes I know what u mean , you go into the garage and take one look at it and say man what a bike . Yes I looked at the rs too but the weight was creeping back up near gs territory which I need to stay as light as I can but as you say don’t want to pull up looking like stig of the dump simply cos the roads are wet and dirty eh .

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Just had a look at a new rs and the *** papers eh I mean the mudguards don’t really look any different to the r? Just looks the same but with a half fairing , same token front thingy and totally open rear area ?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh well I won’t bother with the license plate extender then. Yup I’ve had road crap all over my legs and all over the back of my jacket.

Which also means if you pull over for a coffee or a bite to eat on a wet day – well dare one sit down in the café/restaurant. Not good.
I don’t see why a manufacturer isn’t all over making decent but stylish weather protection for these bikes as there’s clearly a big market and with modern lightweight / strong materials being available too . From
What I’ve gathered on the forum the rear huggers are hit / miss with quality / breakage etc and fronts same /not enough choice - even bmw themselves are they must be clearly aware of the bikes shortcomings and you’d think they could engineer decent stuff eh - everything seems either concentrated on s1000rr or gs - the others are just also runners

·
Registered
720 Posts
Ok, as someone who actually likes riding on rainy days, mostly because it lowers the amount of traffic, especially bicyclists, the 12R isn't the most mudfree moto around, and I too, have actually pitched a ***** over the amount of slop and goop that gets embedded in the area under the seat, the ESA thingy, and yes, that brown strip down my back.

I got the Puig hugger for the back and it only keeps the shock spring from getting splorched, but the underside of the seat and everything else are usually well-covered in brown dirt.

Even with all that, the older R bikes weren't mud-free, either. I commuted 90 miles each way twice a week on my R50/2 when I was a wee lad of 18, and yes, I got soaked with grime, despite the generous and voluptuous fenderage.

I rarely did more than hose it off in the 5 years I rode that bike. At the time, a bit of dirt wasn't a big issue.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Just had a look at a new rs and the *** papers eh I mean the mudguards don’t really look any different to the r?
The RS front fender is longer, but it could still be longer and look ok.

Reactions: MGL
1 - 20 of 56 Posts