BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
If BMW put an R50/2 rear fender on a R1250R, people would laugh at it. Not that the laughing wouldn't be a cruel expression of modern ignorance, but imagine....
View attachment 110473

View attachment 110474
I wouldn't expect a direct transplant, but my hugger for instance could be say six inches longer down the back of the tire and I expect it would make a world of difference.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Ok, as someone who actually likes riding on rainy days, mostly because it lowers the amount of traffic, especially bicyclists, the 12R isn't the most mudfree moto around, and I too, have actually pitched a * over the amount of slop and goop that gets embedded in the area under the seat, the ESA thingy, and yes, that brown strip down my back.

I got the Puig hugger for the back and it only keeps the shock spring from getting splorched, but the underside of the seat and everything else are usually well-covered in brown dirt.

Even with all that, the older R bikes weren't mud-free, either. I commuted 90 miles each way twice a week on my R50/2 when I was a wee lad of 18, and yes, I got soaked with grime, despite the generous and voluptuous fenderage.

I rarely did more than hose it off in the 5 years I rode that bike. At the time, a bit of dirt wasn't a big issue.
Yes Jim it’s just something I’ve never really had to puzzle over either with my previous bikes , it’s not really something you do is it - go around the rest of bikes parked up to see what is dirtier than another .

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
I wouldn't expect a direct transplant, but my hugger for instance could be say six inches longer down the back of the tire and I expect it would make a world of difference.
Yes that’s it again that seems to be designed visual and form over function , what’s wrong with utilising the empty holes at the rear drive and supply something wider and as u say lower to send the water down , not up at the back and spew out the sides and from what I understand they are prone to breaking with possible disastrous outcome 🙁

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
The RS front fender is longer, but it could still be longer and look ok.
Will need to make a point on a grim day ( plenty of those in Scotland ) on an rs to see what affect if any it has - I doubt that it will be any better really , I can see the point that it has to look nice and fit the profile of the bike but they could at least make it stronger so you can fit a decent extender - the thing weighs 139 kg already , cut 2kg off rear silencerzilla and give us that at least

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
We have 314 days a year without precipitation. It is dusty, however.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
We have 314 days a year without precipitation. It is dusty, however.
Precipitation? I take it that is what you call rain. 314 days without, more like 314 days with over here.

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Precipitation? I take it that is what you call rain. 314 days without, more like 314 days with over here.
But I bet it’s very green. It’s a trade off. Verdant rolling hills of the Scottish highlands or blazing hot stinking desert.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
But I bet it’s very green. It’s a trade off. Verdant rolling hills of the Scottish highlands or blazing hot stinking desert.

OK I’ll stick with the cold and precipitation. Heated grips – tick. Just need functioning mudguards.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
Yes that’s it again that seems to be designed visual and form over function , what’s wrong with utilising the empty holes at the rear drive and supply something wider and as u say lower to send the water down , not up at the back and spew out the sides and from what I understand they are prone to breaking with possible disastrous outcome 🙁
You're thinking of those other huggers. Those disasters weren't with ilmberger parts. Those disaster ones used one of the swingarm pivots as a mounting point I as understand it. Zero pivot bolts for mounting my ilmberger.

Ilmberger might be expensive, but at least it looks expensive and it works correctly. The extra money probably seems like a bargain to the people that experienced the disaster units now ;)

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
OK I’ll stick with the cold and precipitation. Heated grips – tick. Just need functioning mudguards.
Yes agreed us pasty complexion Scots don’t handle sun well at all - haven’t saw a lobster on a bmw yet though and I bet they don’t sell sun block factor 70 in the USA either lol- yes I even have a heated vest Gareth

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
You're thinking of those other huggers. Those disasters weren't with ilmberger parts. Those disaster ones used one of the swingarm pivots as a mounting point I as understand it. Zero pivot bolts for mounting my ilmberger.

Ilmberger might be expensive, but at least it looks expensive and it works correctly. The extra money probably seems like a bargain to the people that experienced the disaster units now ;)
So would you say the limberger one actually protects somewhat the rear end area of the bike then pale roadster ? Is yours a carbon one ?

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
Yes agreed us pasty complexion Scots don’t handle sun well at all - haven’t saw a lobster on a bmw yet though and I bet they don’t sell sun block factor 70 in the USA either lol- yes I even have a heated vest Gareth
In the USA we use SPF 70 to protect tattoos and red heads. It's available.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
407 Posts
So would you say the limberger one actually protects somewhat the rear end area of the bike then pale roadster ? Is yours a carbon one ?
Yes, protection for the shock was excellent, and while not 100% there was protection for the rest of the under bike and some reduction in the slop thrown up on my back. Ilmberger only does carbon fiber, not fiberglass or plastic.

I would have made the hugger 4-6" longer, down the backside of the tire, but I bought what was available, and am well pleased

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Looks like it should protect the shock and reduce the spray up your back. Not sure it would help keep you legs clean. Did you ask the owner? What do they say?
I’m the owner. No rain here. I might get caught in a thunderstorm during the summer but that would soak me anyway.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi all just cleaned my r1250 after a run today - well thorough / wash - polish / wax due to the pathetic over gritting of Scottish roads and noticed apart from the usual rubbish shot blasted centre stand bar the r 1250 seems to be blasting the centre link pipe between the Downpipes too - I can defo feel a warranty claim coming on for both because at 370 miles it’s just not good enough - **** weather protection / centre stand bar / downpipes link bar , front timing case all being battered from grit / stones etc from the front wheel - all because they can’t be a””sed to fit a decent front guard mud flap / extender - ‘ something ‘ , ditto at rear end due to same , I love the 1250!shiftcam but the rest is almost thrown on as an afterthought - really not good enough bmw - a new Yamaha 900 tracer gt is looking even more promising by the day - or maybe a secondhand gs low as I have a full set of mudsling set for it - , why should you have to pay £14 k for your new bike then fork out time and time again to road / weather proof your bike - so disappointed - think a e mail to motorrad uk is Iminent also 🙁👎

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Looks like it should protect the shock and reduce the spray up your back. Not sure it would help keep you legs clean. Did you ask the owner? What do they say?
Yes the biggest problem is spray and gunk / crapola onto my wife’s legs really , I don’t bother I’m a tuff biker lol

21 - 40 of 56 Posts