BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 56 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
Wunderlich has a rear inner fender guard - I have not installed one so can't comment on how well it works.
Well I had looked at that instead of the mudsling but went for that as I had them on my gs , - is it the rest section of tyre / tread pattern / water displacement or just no thought at all that they going to be ridden in the wet lol

·
Registered
720 Posts
Hi all just cleaned my r1250 after a run today - well thorough / wash - polish / wax due to the pathetic over gritting of Scottish roads and noticed apart from the usual rubbish shot blasted centre stand bar the r 1250 seems to be blasting the centre link pipe between the Downpipes too - I can defo feel a warranty claim coming on for both because at 370 miles it’s just not good enough - **** weather protection / centre stand bar / downpipes link bar , front timing case all being battered from grit / stones etc from the front wheel - all because they can’t be a””sed to fit a decent front guard mud flap / extender - ‘ something ‘ , ditto at rear end due to same , I love the 1250!shiftcam but the rest is almost thrown on as an afterthought - really not good enough bmw - a new Yamaha 900 tracer gt is looking even more promising by the day - or maybe a secondhand gs low as I have a full set of mudsling set for it - , why should you have to pay £14 k for your new bike then fork out time and time again to road / weather proof your bike - so disappointed - think a e mail to motorrad uk is Iminent also 🙁👎

Get some of this, wrap the cross piece with it.

·
Registered
720 Posts
It’s weird. Look the majority of bikers today are sunny summer Sunday bikers. And yeah I like my sunny summer Sunday rides. I’m no all year round ‘real biker’. But I also like to commute from spring to autumn and I don’t mind getting wet, but what I can’t stand is getting filthy.

It wouldn’t take much to stop this bike covering the rider (and/or passenger) in road grime every time it rains. My last two bikes have been nakeds (well albeit with small nose fairings) and I never got covered in crap – and no they didn’t look silly.

I don’t quite get it. Look the RTnines are hipster bikes – their priority is fun and looking super cool – nothing wrong with that. I thought about getting a RnineT but dismissed it as I need a little practicality.

The R1250R is sold with optional full hard luggage fittings. The RS is the same bike but with a substantial half fairing and is marketed as a full on sports tourer.

And all it is, is a matter of is being an inch or two longer on the tail (maybe an inch wider) plus a front mudguard which is actually a mudguard.

Me? Despite this bikes numerous niggly faults, I have fallen for it – I think I love the darn thing. So that maybe leaves me looking for a wet weather bike for daily use – keep the BMW for the dry days.
Rain Rider: Get an Oilhead, like a '95 RS, pretty good protection, and they're amazingly cheap, now that they are total relics.

·
Registered
R1250R
545 Posts
Rain Rider: Get an Oilhead, like a '95 RS, pretty good protection, and they're amazingly cheap, now that they are total relics.

I’m looking for something – I think. I fancy a VFR800F

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Hi Jim thanks for your suggestion but I use clear tough film that you can get at an auto store and cut to size - sometimes need to look at the cycle dept for it 😃
Update on the stand - gave it a couple of costs of primer , satin black hammerite and clear lawyer finished off with the clear film - good job done - I’m sure the factory only give it couple of coats at most as my stand centre bar was peppered by stones at 630 miles - couldn’t be bothered going down the warranty route as just have same happen why isn’t a small piece of plastic clipped on like the frame protectors on the ralleye gs ? Such a simple thing to save a lot of hassle !

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Update on the stand - gave it a couple of costs of primer , satin black hammerite and clear lawyer finished off with the clear film - good job done - I’m sure the factory only give it couple of coats at most as my stand centre bar was peppered by stones at 630 miles - couldn’t be bothered going down the warranty route as just have same happen why isn’t a small piece of plastic clipped on like the frame protectors on the ralleye gs ? Such a simple thing to save a lot of hassle !
Lacquer

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,105 Posts
..,why isn’t a small piece of plastic clipped on...
I did exactly that with a strip of poly garden watering system pipe. Barely noticeable.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
I did exactly that with a strip of poly garden watering system pipe. Barely noticeable.

View attachment 110810
Yes that almost looks factory panzermann , I’ll take a pic today of my handiwork lol , would take someone on production line 10 seconds to fit and possibly save loads in warranty claims ? Makes you wonder eh , maybe they do an accessory part one for a few dollars ( quid here lol )

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Yes that almost looks factory panzermann , I’ll take a pic today of my handiwork lol , would take someone on production line 10 seconds to fit and possibly save loads in warranty claims ? Makes you wonder eh , maybe they do an accessory part one for a few dollars ( quid here lol )

·
Registered
35 Posts
I fitted Machine Art Moto “Mudsling” and a front mudguard extender. Good investment.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
I fitted Machine Art Moto “Mudsling” and a front mudguard extender. Good investment.
Well I have a mudsling and yes kept the shock clean but I’d say that’s all it really does, still considering the mudguard extender though .

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well I have a mudsling and yes kept the shock clean but I’d say that’s all it really does, still considering the mudguard extender though .
Let us know if you find something. I didn’t think there was room for a hugger as well?

·
Registered
436 Posts
Let us know if you find something. I didn’t think there was room for a hugger as well?
The hugger stays close to the tire, so yes, you can fit both.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Well I’ve heard that some of the mudguard extenders can actually break the front mudguard ? Perhaps someone can confirm or deny that and some have said the hugger does help the gunk at the rear end ? Maybe a front engine case protector might be a better investment but I think the machine art moto one doesn’t fit with those all important Downforce wings 😀😀 the wunderlich one does though 👍

41 - 56 of 56 Posts