BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from snowing Connecticut. I just sold my Honda GL1800 Goldwing and looking to downsize to something where my wife and I can do some light touring and more local riding. Was looking at a new Honda but stopped into a local BMW dealer in South Windsor CT (Max BMW). They have a beautiful '16 R1200R for $12,490 with about 4700 miles on it. I have no idea if this is a good price or not. Nada puts it at about $11,500 but I've not found those values to be accurate in the past. I'm interested in the expert opinion here on if this is a good price or not, a good bike for what I want to do, and what, if anything I should be aware of regarding this bike/year. I really love it and it's right in my price range. Wasn't considering used, but I've always felt that owning a BMW bike was the pinnacle so I'm excited about the prospect.

Here's the listing of options:

Dynamic ESA
  • Headlight Pro
  • Gear Shift Assist Pro
  • Touring Package
  • GPS Prep
  • Heated Grips
  • Cruise Control
  • DTC (Dynamic Traction Control)
  • Keyless Ride
  • On Board Computer Pro
  • Ride Modes Pro
  • Tank Cover Pure
  • TPM (Tire Pressure Monitors)
  • Center Stand

Arrow Exhaust
Engine Bars
Hand Guards
Tinted Windscreen

Best regards,
Ron

·
Premium Member
596 Posts
Nice bike! But I would try to get it for less. An individual would have a hard time upping their price to cover the extras like the exhaust and bars--which is maybe what they're doing. Plus, even though it is a fantastic bike, R12Rs don't exactly fly off the shelves, so I would think they expect some bargaining.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
KBB is $11.2k for “premium”, which must be close to top spec (select). This bike is top spec but the extras like exhaust don’t add anything. The dealer didn’t pay for them. Do they add dealer prep or shipping?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the replies - I was able to talk him down a bit on the bike and got a sizable (over 25%) discount on the purchase of new top trunk and saddlebags to complete the touring package. He also threw in the saddlebag mount for nothing, which is another $70 or so. All in all, I think I probably paid more than I could have, but I don't think I was taken to the cleaners, either. I am REALLY excited about getting this bike. My wife came with me, sat on the pillion and pronounced it "comfortable," so that's the most important thing. I'll be test riding it in the next week or two, weather permitting, and finalizing everything after that. The $500 deposit is refundable, so no downside to locking it up today. I'll post pics once I have it.....come on spring!!!!!

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
325 Posts
I bought my bike from that location. I believe 20-25% off accessories is a pretty standard offer from them with a bike purchase, I found them to actually be fairly aggressive in offering a deal, but I was shopping online, and it might have been a timing issue or other factor, like the bike I bought new was overloaded with billet etc. And had been there a while. I see they rarely list a price online for used stuff which always leaves me suspicious. But overall Max has a decent reputation.
When looking at used vehicles I always think about what trading in or selling it would be like. They will never give you over book unless you are getting buried on a used vehicle you finance with them, and they get a generous vig on your finance.
If you started off $1000 over book and got some off it sounds like your doing ok. And once you have it you'll forget the price, especially with financing being practically free money right now.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I bought my bike from that location. I believe 20-25% off accessories is a pretty standard offer from them with a bike purchase, I found them to actually be fairly aggressive in offering a deal, but I was shopping online, and it might have been a timing issue or other factor, like the bike I bought new was overloaded with billet etc. And had been there a while. I see they rarely list a price online for used stuff which always leaves me suspicious. But overall Max has a decent reputation.
When looking at used vehicles I always think about what trading in or selling it would be like. They will never give you over book unless you are getting buried on a used vehicle you finance with them, and they get a generous vig on your finance.
If you started off $1000 over book and got some off it sounds like your doing ok. And once you have it you'll forget the price, especially with financing being practically free money right now.
Roadster,

That's great to hear - I was a little nervous about the dealership so it's good to hear some positive feedback. I think you are correct - all thoughts of what you paid evaporate while riding away. Also, I've been told by so many dealers that stock is veryt hard to come by now due to "that stupid disease" that I suspect it is about to get very hard to find what you want come March. I thought that I'd rather pay a little extra and get something that really fit for me than watch longingly as others enjoyed riding on that first nice day in spring :)

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Roadster,

That's great to hear - I was a little nervous about the dealership so it's good to hear some positive feedback. I think you are correct - all thoughts of what you paid evaporate while riding away. Also, I've been told by so many dealers that stock is veryt hard to come by now due to "that stupid disease" that I suspect it is about to get very hard to find what you want come March. I thought that I'd rather pay a little extra and get something that really fit for me than watch longingly as others enjoyed riding on that first nice day in spring :)
Good choice.

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
325 Posts
Roadster,

I know the manager of wicked powersports in Stafford, she doesn't do BMW's very often, but she says she can't find anything to sell. Auctions are light, she buys lots from dealers all over the country now and sells out within a week of getting a truck load.

I don't understand with the economic turmoil where all the money comes from? I don't think the "stimulus" checks were big enough to buy bikes atvs and jet skis?

I make military aircraft and naval components, and my wife works in nursing home so economically we have been untouched. All the government workers seems to be getting paid too, mostly small business owners getting burned down?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Congratulations on the new bike! A fair deal is all you needed and it looks like you got that. You will never look back with any regrets, it’s some bike. After many years of riding Honda’s once I stepped across to BMW I became a total convert.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Max is a reputable dealer in the NE. I'd feel comfortable buying from them, and any prep they'd do on the moto before you roll away. If not negotiating for dollars on the sale price, perhaps ask for a full fluid replacement(s), or maybe a follow-up checkover once you put on some miles in the next few months. The only option I'd be sure the moto includes is the push-of-a-button suspension adjustment which allows a quick change from one person, one+luggage, two persons. If you plan to switch a lot between just yourself and with a passenger, it'd be a great convenience. It's the one core feature I wish for on my own R12R.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Agree on a complete check over, oil, water and brake fluid change. It should have a 10,000 km service, no? I bought a 2007 Triumph Rocket in 2015. It had 6000 miles on it and a relatively unworn set of Avon Cobras on it. These were not the original tires. By the date of manufacture on the tires, they were past their age date and were in fact squirrelly on the road. The rubber gets brittle just sitting on the shelf. You might think about replacing yours if they are the originals.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,680 Posts
Welcome to the forum Ron, (y) you will love this bike, it can do almost anything (cant make the tea though). :)

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
5,982 Posts
A perfect example tastefully farkled. 👌

Reactions: YankeeRon

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Max is a reputable dealer in the NE. I'd feel comfortable buying from them, and any prep they'd do on the moto before you roll away. If not negotiating for dollars on the sale price, perhaps ask for a full fluid replacement(s), or maybe a follow-up checkover once you put on some miles in the next few months. The only option I'd be sure the moto includes is the push-of-a-button suspension adjustment which allows a quick change from one person, one+luggage, two persons. If you plan to switch a lot between just yourself and with a passenger, it'd be a great convenience. It's the one core feature I wish for on my own R12R.
It actually does come with that - I was looking for it as I ride with my wife quite often.....

·
Registered
399 Posts
Be sure the tires are new before delivery. I paid $10k for a very similar bike here in CA in June from my local dealer withv5600 miles. If it doesn't have new tires, they will be 5 years old.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
325 Posts
Be sure the tires are new before delivery. I paid $10k for a very similar bike here in CA in June from my local dealer withv5600 miles. If it doesn't have new tires, they will be 5 years old.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
If you're going for tires try for something better than the Metzlers, like maybe Michelin PR5s.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Some time around 2009, I almost crashed my Triumph Rocket trying to avoid an accident on the highway. No ABS, fishtailing. I had heard about BMW integrated brakes and headed to the BMW dealer. He offered a test drive, probably on an R1200. I didn’t do it because they didn’t insure their inventory and mine didn’t cover it. This was a mistake, although I was pretty solidly in bagger mode at the time. I had to wait until 2020 to discover BMW.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts