BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2015 R12 R
16 Posts
Hey YankeeRon,
If you're still deposit only, then this might be useful.

I just purchased a 2015 R1200 R. I did a nationwide search for 2015-19 R12 and found probably 40 offered for sale. From fully factory dressed (Touring/Comfort/Pro packages) to the bare minimum. The price range I found was $14k to 9k. Miles ranged from 27k to less than 4k. I did consider the one at MaxBMW. Looks clean and Max does have a good rep. (Since you are in CT, they would be your shop of choice...I use them and I'm in NYC).

Price for bike at Max is definitely on the high end. I think you could get a comparable R12 for considerable less if you have the time to search. I paid $10k for a 2015 R12 R, comparably dressed with BMW packages and under 10k miles. More snow coming, so Max should be willing to drop the price, especially if they know you are still searching.

Good luck. What ever you do is right for you.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Hey YankeeRon,
If you're still deposit only, then this might be useful.

I just purchased a 2015 R1200 R. I did a nationwide search for 2015-19 R12 and found probably 40 offered for sale. From fully factory dressed (Touring/Comfort/Pro packages) to the bare minimum. The price range I found was $14k to 9k. Miles ranged from 27k to less than 4k. I did consider the one at MaxBMW. Looks clean and Max does have a good rep. (Since you are in CT, they would be your shop of choice...I use them and I'm in NYC).

Price for bike at Max is definitely on the high end. I think you could get a comparable R12 for considerable less if you have the time to search. I paid $10k for a 2015 R12 R, comparably dressed with BMW packages and under 10k miles. More snow coming, so Max should be willing to drop the price, especially if they know you are still searching.

Good luck. What ever you do is right for you.
Brooklyn,

That is great information. I go to test ride it next week weather permitting, so 'll definitely keep that in mind. I have a long list of things to look over, any one of which will end up being a negotiating point. I did get them down a bit initially but as you say I think it's still a bit on the high side. Unfortunately I've been spending the week making a list of the things I'm going to add, so in my heart I've already purchased it and brought it home, which is always dangerous :)
Ron

·
Registered
397 Posts
I negotiated mine down by over $2k, some of that last minute by using BMWFS for financing after starting to get finance through my bank...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
I also used BMW finance, and while it was a new bike with promotional financing interest is low. My total cost to finance over the full term ended up being about $450, no reason to bother paying it off early.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello from snowing Connecticut. I just sold my Honda GL1800 Goldwing and looking to downsize to something where my wife and I can do some light touring and more local riding. Was looking at a new Honda but stopped into a local BMW dealer in South Windsor CT (Max BMW). They have a beautiful '16 R1200R for $12,490 with about 4700 miles on it. I have no idea if this is a good price or not. Nada puts it at about $11,500 but I've not found those values to be accurate in the past. I'm interested in the expert opinion here on if this is a good price or not, a good bike for what I want to do, and what, if anything I should be aware of regarding this bike/year. I really love it and it's right in my price range. Wasn't considering used, but I've always felt that owning a BMW bike was the pinnacle so I'm excited about the prospect.

Here's the listing of options:

Dynamic ESA
  • Headlight Pro
  • Gear Shift Assist Pro
  • Touring Package
  • GPS Prep
  • Heated Grips
  • Cruise Control
  • DTC (Dynamic Traction Control)
  • Keyless Ride
  • On Board Computer Pro
  • Ride Modes Pro
  • Tank Cover Pure
  • TPM (Tire Pressure Monitors)
  • Center Stand

Arrow Exhaust
Engine Bars
Hand Guards
Tinted Windscreen

View attachment 110226

Best regards,
Ron

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello from snowing Connecticut. I just sold my Honda GL1800 Goldwing and looking to downsize to something where my wife and I can do some light touring and more local riding. Was looking at a new Honda but stopped into a local BMW dealer in South Windsor CT (Max BMW). They have a beautiful '16 R1200R for $12,490 with about 4700 miles on it. I have no idea if this is a good price or not. Nada puts it at about $11,500 but I've not found those values to be accurate in the past. I'm interested in the expert opinion here on if this is a good price or not, a good bike for what I want to do, and what, if anything I should be aware of regarding this bike/year. I really love it and it's right in my price range. Wasn't considering used, but I've always felt that owning a BMW bike was the pinnacle so I'm excited about the prospect.

Dynamic ESA
  • Headlight Pro
  • Gear Shift Assist Pro
  • Touring Package
  • GPS Prep
  • Heated Grips
  • Cruise Control
  • Keyless Ride
  • On Board Computer Pro
  • Ride Modes Pro
  • Tank Cover Pure
  • Center Stand

Arrow Exhaust
Engine Bars
Hand Guards
Tinted Windscreen

View attachment 110226

Best regards,
Ron
I’ve seen these bikes advertised privately for around $9000 with the same specs. The new ones from 2019 have the 1250 engine with variable valve timing which gives it much better performance, especially 2 up. You should try looking for one of these more recent bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I’ve seen these bikes advertised privately for around $9000 with the same specs. The new ones from 2019 have the 1250 engine with variable valve timing which gives it much better performance, especially 2 up. You should try looking for one of these more recent bikes.
Thanks Dave - that makes sense....

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I negotiated mine down by over $2k, some of that last minute by using BMWFS for financing after starting to get finance through my bank...

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Thanks Rat - that's great to know - I'll be sitting down with them next week.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Dynamic ESA
  • Headlight Pro
  • Gear Shift Assist Pro
  • Touring Package
  • GPS Prep
  • Heated Grips
  • Cruise Control
  • Keyless Ride
  • On Board Computer Pro
  • Ride Modes Pro
  • Tank Cover Pure
  • Center Stand

Arrow Exhaust
Engine Bars
Hand Guards
Tinted Windscreen

View attachment 110226

Best regards,
Ron
Hey Ron!

i was looking at that very bike you are talking about. I talked to Mile at Max and what he is asking is on the high side. I got the very same bike with same equipment from a private sale in Long Island with only 1386 miles on it and I paid $9500. I think that at $12500 it is way too much. You could look at similar bike in a different region and even with shipping it would be cheaper. You should push the guys at Max to lower their price. I owned many bikes where I started with a R1150R in 2004 then went to Ducati and back to BMW with K1300S and now I am back with the boxer engine. Love the bike!

Fritz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Hey Ron!

i was looking at that very bike you are talking about. I talked to Mile at Max and what he is asking is on the high side. I got the very same bike with same equipment from a private sale in Long Island with only 1386 miles on it and I paid $9500. I think that at $12500 it is way too much. You could look at similar bike in a different region and even with shipping it would be cheaper. You should push the guys at Max to lower their price. I owned many bikes where I started with a R1150R in 2004 then went to Ducati and back to BMW with K1300S and now I am back with the boxer engine. Love the bike!

Fritz
Thanks Fritz....

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
While it is an individual decision if it's worth anything dealer bikes are always more $. Even book value reflects this when the books have enough data to be accurate. Regardless of any claims you should always assume you are 100% on your own in a private sale. A dealer should stand behind it and depending on state you have way more recourse too. Also consider service, dealers have been known to give short shrift to people that didn't buy from them.

I wouldn't consider a private sale bike unless it was very significantly cheaper.

·
Registered
2016 BMW R1200R
73 Posts
Welcome and congrats on the new bike. I made the switch from a 2012 Kawasaki Concours 1400ABS to a 2016 R1200R. I think you will find it is soooooo easy to ride. Dont get me wrong, I liked my C14. While my R12 does not have that jet sled acceleration and top speed, it is just over all so much easier to ride. It just kind of flows with ya, and its pretty sporty also. Hope you enjoy. Stay safe.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
While it is an individual decision if it's worth anything dealer bikes are always more $. Even book value reflects this when the books have enough data to be accurate. Regardless of any claims you should always assume you are 100% on your own in a private sale. A dealer should stand behind it and depending on state you have way more recourse too. Also consider service, dealers have been known to give short shrift to people that didn't buy from them.

I wouldn't consider a private sale bike unless it was very significantly cheaper.
Roadster - I agree with you - private sales make me nervous. I know dealers can have problems too, but I always feel I have more recourse than I would with a private sale.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Well, I road the bike today and was blown away - quick, nimble, powerful, light, and very easy to ride. Smooth as butter with a pleasant roar that isn't overpowering. I was 100% certain I wouldn't use the quick shifter but tried it once just for fun and was immediately hooked. Beautiful bike that'll be coming home to me here in the next week or so after they put on the top case and saddlebags. I feel good about the final price I got - I still think I'm a little high but not egregiously so, but I consider that an acceptable cost given that the dealer is 3 miles from me should I have any issues. Also, the bike has so many things that I wanted to get anyway, such as the Denali CANsmart controller, driving lights, aux brake light, etc. I was going to have to purchase that along with a lot of other stuff it has that I would like. I'll post photos when she's home :)

·
Registered
2015 R12 R
16 Posts
Well, I road the bike today and was blown away - quick, nimble, powerful, light, and very easy to ride. Smooth as butter with a pleasant roar that isn't overpowering. I was 100% certain I wouldn't use the quick shifter but tried it once just for fun and was immediately hooked. Beautiful bike that'll be coming home to me here in the next week or so after they put on the top case and saddlebags. I feel good about the final price I got - I still think I'm a little high but not egregiously so, but I consider that an acceptable cost given that the dealer is 3 miles from me should I have any issues. Also, the bike has so many things that I wanted to get anyway, such as the Denali CANsmart controller, driving lights, aux brake light, etc. I was going to have to purchase that along with a lot of other stuff it has that I would like. I'll post photos when she's home :)
Very cool! Many great rides ahead of you. Congrats!
Alan

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
319 Posts
Now you can forget the purchase price and focus on justifying spending too much on accessories, like the rest of us. We won't tell your spouse.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts