BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Nice. Hey, which H7 bulbs do you have, for that nice looking white light? Or are LEDs offered in Europe? Thx. I just installed Philips Diamond Vision bulbs yesterday, which are supposedly the whitest halogen bulbs available, but no idea how they'll be :).

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mine has the stock lighting for Aus spec Exclusive, although I probably had high beam on and long exposure photo.

·
Registered
213 Posts
So same halogen H7 bulbs as ours (US market)? Weird the camera can make it look like that. Ha ha. Are the bulbs clear, with a charcoal tip? In order to produce whiter light, they need to be coated in a blue hue. Curious what you have. Take care.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Indeed. Thank you. BMW should have upgraded to LEDs for the 1250s. Even cheapo bikes have LED headlights now. Oh well. It had to have a flaw, right? Ha ha. At least mine looks a little more distinctive now, with Diamond Vision blue bulbs, and LED turn-signal boards :). And should throw white light now, but we'll see.

Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire

·
Registered
59 Posts
@ElpTXjc Are you aware that, according to this site the lightbulbs put out approximately 40% less light than regular halogens and are in fact the dimmest of the bulbs tested. Yes, they may look cool, but I'd much rather see further and be seen, than look cool (and possibly dead :)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Two things on that. First, white light is more visible, so you're not going to see 41% less on the road than an OEM bulb, as you can clearly see on the side by side video. If that was the case, nobody would buy them :). You'd be hard pressed to notice the difference on the road. But yes, when you coat a bulb of the same wattage, it's only common sense that light output will be diminished, as well as life expectancy reduced, due to extra internal heat. And second, I hardly ever ride at night (never by choice), so yes, I bought them basically for looks, to have a white DRL :). It's embarrassing to have a $20K+ bike (out the door) with freaking yellow halogen bulbs. Ha ha. As a side note, the manual doesn't even mention H7 bulbs, because ALL trims of the R1250Rs (and I'm sure RSs too) were supposed to have full LED headlights in the US for 2020. Not sure why BMW changed them, when even cheapo bikes had LED headlights already. Oh well.

Finally, if you want better lighting on your bike, none of the available H7 bulbs are going to cut it IMO. It'd be very hard for a regular person to notice the difference between the dimmest and the brightest 55W halogen bulbs. You'd need auxiliary lighting for that.

·
Registered
651 Posts
"White light" may be more visible, but... It also increases glare, and reduces contrast, making it actually harder for the rider to see in the distance, and making it harder for oncoming traffic to continue to see as you approach them. It's the way our eyes are built - the red and green rods & cones are larger/stronger than the blue rods/cones, which is one of the reasons red/green deficiency is also less prevalent than blue. Also why sharpshooters look at the grass before taking aim on a bright day - helps the eyes relax so that they can see more clearly the tiny target at the end of the range. I'm actually slightly blue sensitive - on a bright cloudy day or in full sun I get an instant headache without sunglasses, and those blue-tinted sunglasses just make it worse.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I actually see better with white light, and I imagine I'm not the only one. Europe now requires all vehicles to have white light (no more yellow one), and the ultra great majority of vehicles made today have white light, at least in the US.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,730 Posts
As a side note, the manual doesn't even mention H7 bulbs, because ALL trims of the R1250Rs (and I'm sure RSs too) were supposed to have full LED headlights in the US for 2020.
I suggest checking your manual again.

Also, as stated earlier, there is never been an LED headlight option on any BMW Roadster - only an LED DRL, which is standard on the 1250 but optional on the 1200LC.

Font Parallel Screenshot Number Document

·
Registered
213 Posts
I suggest checking your manual again.
Man, I'm one more post like this away from ignoring you. Do you think I'm making stuff up? I told you my manual says my bike has LEDs and a lithium battery because it was there, and you say to check it again? What the heck is wrong with you? You're unbelievable, and more stubborn than a freaking donkey. Geez. Anyway, there's a picture of my manual below.

Font Computer Personal computer Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
651 Posts
That page does not say that you have a lithium battery, it says the battery is an option - not standard, something that must be requested before the build. It is not automatically included with the HP.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
6,730 Posts
You're unbelievable, and more stubborn than a freaking donkey.
Thanks for the compliment, ElpTXjc. As a forum moderator, it is my duty to be persistent in helping ensure misinformation is not posted on the forum, in particular on matters of a technical nature.

Having searched through three of the R1250R US model online manuals, I can now see where you are coming from. US models from 03/2019 onwards were planned to have LED main beams (high and low) in addition to the LED DRL that all 1250's have. It seems this never came to fruition, though, as no forum member has thus far reported having a full LED light assembly fitted to their 1250, and there have been threads on upgrading the H7 bulbs to LED and no-one has mentioned a full LED solution being available from BMW Motorrad. The online parts catalogues do not list an LED headlight assembly, nor has there been an announcement in the motorcycling press or by BMW regarding a full LED version for the bike. The subsequent versions of the US 1250R manual make no mention of LED main beams, specifying simply H7 halogen bulbs.

So it seems that your bike was always destined to be like every other R1250R delivered - same headlight as the R1200R-LC, sporting H7 main bulbs. And yes, it does have a hinge on the LHS. Check any of the other R1250R manuals for details of the headlight assembly.

Regarding the HP lithium battery, it is listed in the manual as OE, meaning optional equipment. Having the HP paint scheme doesn't necessarily mean the optional HP battery (later termed M Lightweight battery OE) is linked to that paint scheme – in some countries, the national distributor may specify it though.

At least we now know why we have been at crossed purposes over this matter.

Font Screenshot Parallel Number Rectangle

A further part of a moderator's role is to promote appropriate behaviour on the forum. That includes encouraging new members to search existing threads before creating a new thread on a matter that has already been addressed in detail. We're a pretty helpful mob, willing to please, but it does become a little tedious for the experienced regulars to keep reposting information on matters that have been well covered. Hence my propensity to simply post a link to an existing thread rather than explain something again.

If this post 'breaks the camels back', by all means ignore me. But as a moderator, I'll not be ignoring you.

Cheers

Mark

Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
213 Posts
You can verify whatever you want... but do that FIRST, instead of insulting people you don't like, with insinuations that we're lying, or making stuff up. Didn't expect that from a moderator, but it's your 'house', and you can do whatever you want. So I'd just quietly leave, if needed. Will only post the absolute minimum from now on, and look for other forums. Take care.

·
6,730 Posts
Have your hissy fit if you choose, @ElpTXjc, but it would have been simpler to simply substantiate your statement re the LED lights in the first place and we could have got to the bottom of it much earlier, avoiding the agro and all be better informed in the process. I don’t have the time to go through all the various editions of owner manuals on every issue that appears anomalous where often the poster hasn’t taken the time to read the manual, or hasn’t been able to comprehend it.

Forums are awash with false assertions (such as yours that there is no hinge on the headlight assembly, for example) and if moderators or other forum members can debunk these then other members won’t be led astray. You’ve only been here about five minutes, so haven’t yet established a lot of credibility – I suggest you shouldn’t feel aggrieved if challenged on a point of fact.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts