BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!

I hope everyone had a wonderful weekend.

I'll start with my riding experience:

I started riding about three years ago. My first bike was a Triumph Street Triple R. I liked it but I wanted something with a little more touring ability. I then went with a Yamaha FZ6 that had a top box and side panniers and that was great - until a very close call almost got me hit by a bus. I sold that bike and took a break (it has been about a year or so now out of the saddle) and after a lot more research and a little more discovering of "who I was as a rider", I decided to jump back into the motorcycle game. I've been looking for about two months now, and this gem came along after a long period of patience.

What I'm currently looking at is a 2017 R1200R. The bike looks like it is in wonderful condition - around 2000 miles or so (I've attached some pictures for reference, including the original sticker - don't worry about the red ink, owner says all that is included too). They're asking 11,500. As I live in Hawaii these bikes are quite rare!

Owner seems super informed about the bike (I feel like that is a rarity these days, but perhaps I've never dealt with many mature owners). The only thing that it is missing is some panniers (and I'd really like to get some engine protection if possible).

I'm posting here to gather some wisdom from others; do you folks think this is a good deal?

Any input is greatly appreciated. I'm ser

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,509 Posts
Welcome Tim.

That’s a mighty fine example you’re looking at there - barely run in and looks like it’s never been ridden in the rain. The MY17 model has the benefit of transmission/gear change updates as well as the Pro version of ABS (lean angle sensitive).

I’m not in a position to comment on pricing in the US, but it looks like a good deal to me - I’d buy it for that, although in Australia it’s customary not to pay the full asking price, so I’d offer, say $11,000.

The items crossed through in red are part of the Touring Package so are doubled up on the listing - I assume that’s why they are crossed through. But for the On Board Computer Pro, I can see from the photos all of them are fitted so there’s no reason to be suspicious.

Note that the bike is fitted with the low seat option. Depending on your stature, you may need something higher.

The bike is also fitted with some of extras which would add to its value and are not included in the original purchase price shown:
  • full Akrapovic system, including headers - big $$$$ (check the internet for new pricing)
  • Puig rear wheel hugger, with custom painted mount
  • handlebar riser/pullbacks which bring the ‘bars up and closer to the rider - may or may not be to your taste, but easily swapped back to stock.
Hopefully a forum member from the US can comment on pricing.

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,793 Posts
Welcome to the forum Tim (y) that's a fine looking machine, I have one just like it. :)

·
6,509 Posts
Not trying to talk you out of crash bars, but head covers are another option if you’re looking for protection but don’t need to mount farkles. Machine Art Moto are a favoured model on this forum.

Reactions: FinPatu

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not trying to talk you out of crash bars, but head covers are another option if you’re looking for protection but don’t need to mount farkles. Machine Art Moto are a favoured model on this forum.
I checked those out and they look great and seem to perform well. I like that rubber buffer that is placed underneath the guard to absorb and spread out the blow as well. Unfortunately they're sold out at Revzilla and I live in Hawaii so shipping is rather rough.

I was looking at this as well but I don't know - the install seems difficult, but it seems like it might do a good job protecting. I'm not going adventuring or anything - at the moment I'm more just worried about a low speed tumble. It's a huge investment for me so I'm being a little paranoid perhaps.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Hi Tim, I have an almost identical 2016 model with panniers. Let me give you my personal views and experience. The guy that owned the bike before me toured Europe on it, but sold it because he wanted something lighter with more weather protection. After a brief foray with a GS800 which he dropped like a hot potato, he’s now happily touring on a GS 1250.

I adore the bike, suits me like a made to measure. However, I do modest daily mileages (max 170 miles a day - arthritis in hands) mainly in dry weather at always legal speeds (max 70mph, mostly 60 or less). Some people do monster mileages in all weathers and ride way faster than me and that’s fine too. A naked bike will always have some limitations in that regard. However, for the wonderful power delivery and handling, fairings tends to be compromises on weight and nimbleness. The R12 is a brilliant road bike for general purpose, bit of (or lot of) everything.

So eyes wide open, just consider carefully what sort of riding and touring you want to do the MAJORITY of the time and get a bike that fits the majority of miles you’ll ride rather than the odd occasion, no bike is ideal for all situations. For me it’s absolutely perfect, I couldn’t be happier. Buy once, buy right, then get to know and love the bike you buy, and enjoy many many happy miles together!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,262 Posts
I checked those out and they look great and seem to perform well. I like that rubber buffer that is placed underneath the guard to absorb and spread out the blow as well. Unfortunately they're sold out at Revzilla and I live in Hawaii so shipping is rather rough.

Can you not buy direct from MaAMoto? I recall doing so once. And I fully endorse all positive comments about these guards, not that I ever had to put 'em to the test...

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
343 Posts
  • full Akrapovic system, including headers - big $$$$ (check the internet for new pricing)
  • Puig rear wheel hugger, with custom painted mount
  • handlebar riser/pullbacks which bring the ‘bars up and closer to the rider - may or may not be to your taste, but easily swapped back to stock.
Hopefully a forum member from the US can comment on pricing.
With those options included -- and I love that custom-painted mount on the Hugger, first time I've seen that -- that would seem to be a good deal based on prices I've seen as I shopped for my own R, though I would check comparable listings on CycleTrader for comparison. But given that the selection is inherently more limited in Hawaii, it's probably safe to add some sort of premium for a bike that you both like and is uncommon there. The naked-roadster R would also seem to be an ideal bike for Hawaii (though you don't specify which island), given that you won't be doing much touring or highway riding, that the majority of riding you do will be sunny afternoon/weekend rides...but if you do choose to island tour to the degree possible, the brackets are there waiting for panniers.

To me, that looks like a solid deal on a excellent-looking, low-mileage bike.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
With those options included -- and I love that custom-painted mount on the Hugger, first time I've seen that -- that would seem to be a good deal based on prices I've seen as I shopped for my own R, though I would check comparable listings on CycleTrader for comparison. But given that the selection is inherently more limited in Hawaii, it's probably safe to add some sort of premium for a bike that you both like and is uncommon there. The naked-roadster R would also seem to be an ideal bike for Hawaii (though you don't specify which island), given that you won't be doing much touring or highway riding, that the majority of riding you do will be sunny afternoon/weekend rides...but if you do choose to island tour to the degree possible, the brackets are there waiting for panniers.

To me, that looks like a solid deal on a excellent-looking, low-mileage bike.
I live on Oahu. There isn't much "touring" to be had here, but the drives around the island are like my mini tours lol. Now I'm trying to figure out how bad shipping will be to get a set of panniers sent out here:/

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
343 Posts
Ah. My wife and I tend to favor Maui and -- more these days -- Kauai...Oahu is still a destination we need to make. Good luck with your decision...for what it's worth, I think that's a heckuva nice bike at what seems to be a very fair price, especially given the additions. Panzermann mentions the low seat option, which may make for a slightly firm ride...were it me, I'd probably set aside some $$ for a standard seat or aftermarket (Sargent, et al). But otherwise...(y)

EDIT: Okay, your post about the giving you the stock seat just came up while I was typing the above. If you don't buy the thing now, I think you're really missing out on a heckuva opportunity.

·
Registered
1 Posts
That’s a very fair price. Even more so because Hawaii. I just bought a 2015 R1200R with about 8500 miles with identical factory packages to yours, plus OEM left, right panniers and top case for $10,900. Extensive service records, quite a few choice farkles (+1 on Machine Art Moto, my bike had their cylinder covers, front radiator guard, and rear mud guard).

I lived on Oahu for 4 yrs and agree that, other than a fast blast down H3 or up the Windward side towards North Shore, you’re not really going to have to worry about traditional touring needs. The locking panniers are very convenient, as they will fit a full face helmet.

Also, consider if there a good independent Euro bike shop there you can take it to for service, if you can’t handle it yourself? I don’t remember there being a BMW Motorrad dealer there either....good luck!

·
Premium Member
605 Posts
That is a nice color combination. Have you considered a top case? My Hepco Becker was able to hold 2 full face helmets or my full face helmet and armored jacket. It was really convenient. I later ended up adding mini panniers just so that I could also transport my rain gear and some tools. Granted by itself, the top case made the bike look a bit top heavy. I have sold my bike but yeah these bikes are rare here in Hawaii. I only knew of one other person that was on this forum but I never ran across him while riding.

I had the engine bars and I regretted it. A bit overkill in my opinion.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Nice ride for Hawaii if that's your price range. I could only afford a Yamaha RD 400 when I was a 17 yo and switched to BMW when I went to California. It's not about the bike so much as it is about you. As it looks it should be fine you you.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Beautiful bike!! Love that colormatched hugger mount. Don't bother with the heavy crash guard cage for headers. Get the basic plastic drop guards, they do the job for tipover protection, which is more likely to happen.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Tim, Soundwave - aloha! finally found someone who rides a R1200R like I do in the islands! I live on Oahu by Ewa Beach. maybe we can ride togehter one day soon! Mahalo!

·
6,509 Posts
Tim, Soundwave - aloha! finally found someone who rides a R1200R like I do in the islands! I live on Oahu by Ewa Beach. maybe we can ride togehter one day soon! Mahalo!
Tim hasn’t posted other than in this thread - maybe start a conversation with him, which will trigger an email.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts