BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was planning on running my Gerbings heated jacket and gloves when the colder weather hits, using the powerlet rather than going directly off the battery. In searching for an adapter I came a cross a site (can't remember where) that mentioned that BMW's powerlet isn't designed for such loads, and is only good for running gloves. Is this true? Is anyone using the powerlet for heated gear?

·
Registered
29 Posts
a heads up on heated gear. Warm n Safe sells a "heated layered shirt" that draws much less wattage than a heated jacket liner. the best part is the hls is MUCH warmer, I have never gotten past 3 (out of 5) on my controler because it's HOT.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK 5w, that explains it, thanks.

That heated shirt looks really nice, less bulky than my old heated jacket liner, and draws less power too. I'll have to look into it, thanks.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My R1200R LC was rated at 5A for the accessory socket, not 5W (P188 of the manual). 5W would seem a strange limit - wouldn't even power some gloves. I used it with gloves taking 2A with no problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, 5w seems almost useless. Would the powerlet work for my gloves and jacket which draws 117 watts if turned all the way up? I'm pretty electrically inept.

·
Mark – 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,509 Posts
mentioned that BMW's powerlet isn't designed for such loads
Most likely 5A, ratter than 5W, but why not check your owners manual?

·
Registered
315 Posts
We have Warm & Safe jacket liners and like them.
Never considered the shirt because it would require a lot more washing.
Not sure how that would hold up over the years.

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic MU
201 Posts
Powerlet.

Slightly off topic. Apologies.

How long has this been a word in common use? I had never seen or heard it used before.

Power outlet is more descriptive..

·
Registered
315 Posts
Powerlet.

Slightly off topic. Apologies.

How long has this been a word in common use? I had never seen or heard it used before.

Power outlet is more descriptive..
Powerlet is a name of a company, not the name of the BMW accessory outlet.

Reactions: SteveJH
1 - 10 of 10 Posts