BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The nav v1 on my 2017 R1200R has developed a fault. When you turn off engine I used to be able to select a softky to turn off navigator immediately. The button turns blue but nothing happens. When riding the screen flicks around sometimes aligning west then east etc. Another problem is the screen flicks left and right as if it is losing GPS then suddenly finds it again.

Any suggestions, please? If it does need to be repaired I presume the only choice is a return to BMW. Are there any independent repair shops in US, please?

Thanks

·
Registered
796 Posts
I presume you mean the Navigator VI (6)?

I’m on my 4th unit (3 replacements).

Garmin buggered the QC/QA on this model and had been hustling to address all the unhappy owners. If the unit is prompting you to turn off or remain on, try opting to remain on. As you may know, the unit does this twice (annoying as f***). Once when you turn bike off. Again when the CANbus cuts all power to the cradle. See if it does this in both prompts.

Next, can you access the GPS via computer and Garmin cable? If so, Garmin will want you to try and troubleshoot the issue before sending you a new unit. If not, they likely will just arrange a replacement unit.

If not already done, you need to sign up and register your unit. I can’t say I’ve had your precise issue, but I’ve had my unit act like it was possessed (older replacement) and my last swap was when the comm port stopped working...so I couldn’t get it to interface with my PC.

If you send it back, remember to remove your memory card if one‘s inserted, and if you can interface with Garmin Express, use the application to back up your GPS…it will make it much easier to reconfigure your replacement unit over doing it manually. ALSO, if you have music/podcasts and playlists on the unit, copy them to your PC before shipping. The VI is a POS when it comes to creating and organizing music to a playlist. I spent hours reprogramming mine because I didn’t back up the playlist files from the old unit.

Reactions: dbyker

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,787 Posts
You might find this thread relevant

Reactions: dbyker

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I presume you mean the Navigator VI (6)?

I’m on my 4th unit (3 replacements).

Garmin buggered the QC/QA on this model and had been hustling to address all the unhappy owners. If the unit is prompting you to turn off or remain on, try opting to remain on. As you may know, the unit does this twice (annoying as f***). Once when you turn bike off. Again when the CANbus cuts all power to the cradle. See if it does this in both prompts.

Next, can you access the GPS via computer and Garmin cable? If so, Garmin will want you to try and troubleshoot the issue before sending you a new unit. If not, they likely will just arrange a replacement unit.

If not already done, you need to sign up and register your unit. I can’t say I’ve had your precise issue, but I’ve had my unit act like it was possessed (older replacement) and my last swap was when the comm port stopped working...so I couldn’t get it to interface with my PC.

If you send it back, remember to remove your memory card if one‘s inserted, and if you can interface with Garmin Express, use the application to back up your GPS…it will make it much easier to reconfigure your replacement unit over doing it manually. ALSO, if you have music/podcasts and playlists on the unit, copy them to your PC before shipping. The VI is a POS when it comes to creating and organizing music to a playlist. I spent hours reprogramming mine because I didn’t back up the playlist files from the old unit.
What a forum. Thank you for your detailed response. I'm pretty sure there is no fix I can do so back to garmin. Do I need to go through bmw or straight to garmin? Any advice on how to position problem with garmin. Unit is 4 years old. I've dealt with garmin before with marine electronics problem...just like their manuals...bloody nightmare. Any advice on handling them appreciated!

·
Registered
796 Posts
You should go through BMW as it's their product.
No. For the USA at least, unless you just got it from a BMW shop, they will refer you to Garmin. It’s Garmin’s product made for BMW. Again, follow the link I gave, sign up and register your product. Then contact support. If the unit works enough to try diagnostic tests, they will ask you to try it before authorizing a replacement, but they’ve been good (so far) at no hassle replacement once they determine it can’t be fixed on your end.

If it works with your PC (be sure to NOT use a USB 3.0 port as sometimes that causes communication issues), if you get it recognized by Garmin Express, back up your unit to make formatting a replacement easier and back up playlist data and files as well.

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,787 Posts
Thanks @zer0netgain. In Oz, BMW handle it because it is a BMW badged product and they market them exclusively. The dealer will simply send it back to the BMW Motorrad for replacement. When I took my faulty unit in, the service manager had a stack of replacement claims on his desk, and no questions were asked.

Good advice on the USB3 too - I was once stymied for hours by that one.

·
Premium Member
2017 R1200R
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks all. Spoke to Garmin and they are replacing at no cost. The unit I had on my 2017 was according to garmin a 2020 unit so must have been replaced before. The warranty in their mind runs for 5 years from that date which is a bit of a win! Unit on its way to me. All hassle free.

·
Registered
12 Posts
What a forum. Thank you for your detailed response. I'm pretty sure there is no fix I can do so back to garmin. Do I need to go through bmw or straight to garmin? Any advice on how to position problem with garmin. Unit is 4 years old. I've dealt with garmin before with marine electronics problem...just like their manuals...bloody nightmare. Any advice on handling them appreciated!
Go to Garmin's website (Garmin International | Home), call support and let them know your touch screen is malfunctioning. They will send a label and shipping instructions. When they receive your old unit they will send out a new one. Tech told me today that they have resolved the problem with the new units. I just sent in my second Navigator VI and hope to receive the third soon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts