BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would like to introduce you to Project Parts Bin. My 2016 R1200R that I just couldn't fall in love with, but decided to make it fit my vision of what a boxer roadster could be.

To start, this is the current mod list:

- Spoked wheels from an R9T
- Tubeless wheel conversion
- R1200GS spoked wheel RDC sensors modified to fit wheels
- Front Fender from an R9T Classic
- NRC Rage 360 Turn Signals (replacing Analog Motor Goods Front Turn Signals)
- Windshield and mount delete
- Front end upper triple and headlight assy parts powder coated black
- Headlight Bezel painted body color
- Front fender painted body color
- Clip-on style handlebars from an R1200RS
- S1000R bar ends
- CRG Hindsight LS mirrors
- Akrapovic Header
- Leo Vince Carbon Muffler
- Machine Art Moto head guards
- Diopa Rear Cafe hump w/ storage
- Rear pillion peg delete
- BMW Sport Seat
- Custom Exhaust Hanger
- Custom rear rack delete and covers
- Custom luggage and cases delete
- Carbon Fiber Fender Supports
- Carbon Fiber Radiator Guards
- Carbon Fiber Air Intakes
- Carbon Fiber Center Tank cover
- Carbon Fiber Lower side panels
- Carbon Fiber rear panels
- Carbon Fiber frame covers
- Carbon Fiber rear left frame cover
- Carbon Fiber rear brake line cover
- Added Lower Spoiler Brackets
- Carbon Fiber Lower Spoilers
- NRC LED Tail Tidy
- Sato Racing Rear Sets
- Modified Kickstand
- Modified Gauge Bracket
- 2014 R1200R round headlight conversion (in progress)
- LSL Headlight Brackets.

So I bought the bike two years ago when my wife was buying a new R1200RT. I really loved the color when I saw them new, and always wanted to pick one up, because I knew it was a good looking, affordable roadster, that had a long enough chassis to comfortably tour on. But a couple months into ownership, I liked it but just didn't love it. I prefered my Triumph Thruxton R because it was more comfortable for my riding style preference.

I tried multiple windscreens, and hated how they all looked, and the buffeting, and got some handguards to keep my hands warm because I needed it for commuting. But these changes, just made me dislike the overall look of the bike more and more.

In spring, I looked into trading up to a R1200RS, because at least to my eye the look wouldn't be spoiled by a big windscreen because it already had one, but with the upcoming 1250's there was no stock, and the trade they were offering value wise sucked.

Then as bad luck would have it, I whacked a pothole hard on my way home from work and bent a wheel. Not bad enough for a leak, but it was obvious and it worried me constantly. Prices for a new or used front replacement was crazy high. I started to get this crazy idea of modding the bike to be a streetfighter, and doing a spoked wheel conversion. Next thing I know, I found a full set of R9T classic spoked wheels that would work on the bike WITH brand new tires for less than the price of just a replacement front wheel for my bike, and it started a long process of modding and changing, and then painting, and then turning it into Project Parts Bin. I was always at odds with the upright position. It felt so unengaging, and boring to ride compared to my Thruxton R. The primary thing other than the fairing on the RS that I loved was the handlebar. So on a whim I bought one hoping it would fit.

Turns out a ton of parts are just straight up interchangeable between models. So on the bar went, but then I wanted bar end mirrors, and discovery that bar ends for a S1000R work on the bike. I finally got my wheels, and set upon converting them to tubeless so I could put my RDC sensors in them. Then the discovery that I needed different ones, and then getting some for a GSA w/ the spoked wheels, and it all just kinda worked.

I could go on forever, but I painted some parts, added a R9T fender and I generally was happy with it, except I always hated that headlight shape, and desired a round one.

Rode it happily all summer after that and kinda left it alone. Over this winter, I started a new business, and money has been steady, so I decided to go all in on the bike after realizing that while the bar change helped it be more engaging, the peg position had my weight in a way that hurt my lower back. So on went rear sets, and now the bike feels pretty aggressive to ride, like a proper streetfighter. So now it's nearly complete, and totally against what most BMW boys and girls do with their bikes (I don't understand why) but it's turned into this super great delightful project.

Just seeing how much I can do and if I can make a totally custom bike without hacking up the frame, and raiding the BMW parts bin as heavily as I can. So here's some pictures from stock to now. I now totally love the way the bike has turned into something I love visually, and also is much more involved to ride. As an example, the RS handle bar dropped it about 2" and went forward 2-3". The Sato Rear sets are set 3" back, and 2" higher. But I also went from the stock 890mm seat to the 840mm set, so my legs aren't crunched at all and are pretty comfortable, just more rearset. Ergos really matter, and I hate being straight upright. I need some forward lean.

Feedback from the MOA and other places has ranged from "Why the **** would do do this" to "Why not just buy an R9T?" I was really hot for a R9T/5 for a while, but after riding a upspec Classic for an afternoon, I realized that my R had far more "content" than even the upscale Classic, and was more comfortable with the longer chassis, and the massive amount of tech the R has over the 9T would never satisfy me, and I'd be chasing down getting that stuff, like a quickshifter, heated grips, cruise control, etc. The /5 being based on the Pure is even more stripped back. So it made more sense to build a streetfighting modern R9T of my own, and turn it into something show-worthy when I'm done.

Here's the current state of the bike as of today: "Project Parts Bin" is coming together. LSL Headlight brackets for the round headlight conversion are being drop shipped, and the modified gauge bracket and kickstand are out for powdercoating. Diopa rear cowl back from the painter. Round headlight conversion wiring worked out. Sato Rearsets adjusted and broken in, new Akrapovic header installed. So close to the finish line.

This is better than I ever expected a R1200R LC bike could look, and a far cry from the stock bike.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Streetfighting black-n-blue wethead Roadster!

Keep us posted on the headlight conversion. I think a lot of people may be interested in that modification.

Ride on!

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
Competition!

Come so far from the stock look, it's hardly the same bike at all, and I love it.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Tastefully customised & love the colour. It's a credit to you - well done!

Question - the passenger seat pod/cowl, is that an off the shelf item? If so, where did you get that from?

Anyway, congrats on your bike build.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,236 Posts
It's in the first post, made by Diopa in Germany

Just wondering if the Diopa pod can be used with the OEM riders seat. I've been looking at the Sargent & Corbin...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
601 Posts
Danielle... I read through this entire thread and only got "LSL headlight" mount.

I love the headlight, so if you could please list the part #s for the mount and the headlight+ bucket. I think there are a lot of us that would be thankful.

I like the RS Clips, too, but my neck would probably complain.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You!
Is that a DOT or ECE headlight? The page lists those 2 as options, and I have to pick one.
And is there anything I need to do to modify the connector? Any additional parts like resistor or similar?

The spoked wheels are a great fit on your Blue.

And just wondering...
Have you considered one of those small fairings (that only fit on a round headlight?)

Nice Thrux, BTW.

I've got a '07 Bonneville I am thinking about doing a facelift on. I've upgraded the suspension, carb jets but am wistfully thinking about a British Racing Green theme with orange and white pin striping, or some like that.
Have you done anything with your Thrux, like performance mods?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank You, Thank You, Thank You! The spoked wheels are a great fit on your Blue.

And just wondering...

Have you considered one of those small fairings (that only fit on a round headlight?)

Nice Thrux, BTW.

I've got a '07 Bonneville I am thinking about doing a facelift on. I've upgraded the suspension, carb jets but am wistfully thinking about a British Racing Green theme with orange and white pin striping, or some like that.

Have you done anything with your Thrux, like performance mods?
I have considered a mini fairing and likely will, but it's only been back together for less than 48 hours, lol. I'm waiting on resistors because I had one fail.

Thruxton R has all the bolt-ons and tuned (I actually run DNK TuneWorks, www.dnktuneworks.com) So it was obviously the first bike I tuned when I started my business. I specialize in the Water-cooled Modern Classics. The bike makes 98whp on the stock camshaft, and I'm patiently waiting for a better cam to come to market.

·
Registered
601 Posts
I've read, around here that the ECU and CanBus systems can be tricky when it comes to aftermarket gear.

The resistor is inline/downstream from the OEM power cable? If it's failing there may be a way to lie to the ECU, I'll have to take a DMM to the power lead and see what comes out besides the expected current.
I may be able to advise on that. I wish that BMW made better documentation available to builders, owners, tuners. It would make it easier to play.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oh no, it was working fine all this time, just when I cut up the headlight brackets/gauge combo to just retain the gauge mount I had to change from my Analog Flush lights to NRC Rage 360 Fork turn signals and I think when I was resoldering I managed to burn up a resistor.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Oh no, it was working fine all this time, just when I cut up the headlight brackets/gauge combo to just retain the gauge mount I had to change from my Analog Flush lights to NRC Rage 360 Fork turn signals and I think when I was resoldering I managed to burn up a resistor.

I see. That's reassuring. I'm hoping to do that headlight swap.

In the olden days of PCs and Network gear, technicians actually had to fix things, and I nuked my share of capacitors, resistors, diodes and even complete circuit boards, back planes and well, you can imagine.

Now, everything is a FRU (field replaceable unit). Just buy new and fling the old one.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I also was trying to work with something compact and tried ceramic resistors, but they honestly got too hot, so I swapped to the metal heatsink type. 39ohm 10w resistors for the turn signals as they aren't on constant, and a 39ohm 25w resistor for the DRL since that bulb is eliminated entirely.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts