BMW R1200R Forum banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
372 Posts
My hugger from Wunderlich arrived yesterday(for the '15 R12R)........ and it is indeed a Puig unit. Says so on the enclosed Puig brochure.

The bushing seems to extend beyond the bracket just a tad, no rework necessary.
Paul

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
My hugger from Wunderlich arrived yesterday(for the '15 R12R)........ and it is indeed a Puig unit. Says so on the enclosed Puig brochure.

I'm just a little surprised that a company with a reputation for excellence in engineering and design such as W'lich - or even PUIG themselves - should have allowed this somewhat flawed product to market. Good to know that LC-lovers are now OK with this.

L of S

·
Registered
372 Posts
I'm just a little surprised that a company with a reputation for excellence in engineering and design such as W'lich - or even PUIG themselves - should have allowed this somewhat flawed product to market. Good to know that LC-lovers are now OK with this.

L of S
I did not say I was OK with paying Wunderlich prices for a Puig product.
Make no mistake... I'm not.

The Wunderlich hugger I had on my '11 cam head seem to be of better quality. I plan to call Wunderlich USA on Monday and express my disappointment.

As to the binding issues reported here, I wonder if those experiencing the problem actually followed the installation instruction and used a torque wrench to tighten the bolts as specified in the installation instructions. My experience is that many folks don't read the instructions most folks don't own a torque wrench. :surprise:

Paul

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
I plan to call Wunderlich USA on Monday and express my disappointment.
I don't know how far you'll get with them on your issue, but they did me right when I over-torqued my wind deflector and cracked it. I explained that it was totally my fault, but pointed out their insufficient instructions, and they were kind enough to replace it at no cost to me.

You can see my complete write up here: http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1200r-general-discussions-7/wunderlich-wind-deflector-my-story-17665/

I know your issue is completely different from mine, but I'm sharing this to express my satisfactory Wunderlich Customer Service experience. Good luck, I hope it's a positive resolve.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The binding issue has nothing to do with installation, at least not on the one I received. As I noted with my pics, the part could not possibly be installed per instructions and then function as intended. The first 2 pics illustrate the mismatch between the bushing and the bracket. If the bushing isn't thicker than the bracket, it can't function as a bushing when bolted together, period. Torque values are irrelevant.

It's simply poor quality control on Puig's part. Their design decision to use a moving part of the paralever as an anchor point necessitates a much higher degree of precision in both design and manufacturing in order for the final product to function properly without failing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I don't know how far you'll get with them on your issue, but they did me right when I over-torqued my wind deflector and cracked it. I explained that it was totally my fault, but pointed out their insufficient instructions, and they were kind enough to replace it at no cost to me.

You can see my complete write up here: http://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/bmw-r1200r-general-discussions-7/wunderlich-wind-deflector-my-story-17665/

I know your issue is completely different from mine, but I'm sharing this to express my satisfactory Wunderlich Customer Service experience. Good luck, I hope it's a positive resolve.
I to have had good experience with Wunderlick customer service in the past.

I'm calling them on the new hugger just to express my dissatisfaction in the value, low quality, high price. I expect a premium product and service when I pay premium price, same goes for my motorcycles and my automobiles. I suspect Wunderlich would allow me to return the hugger but that's is not my current plan.

Paul

·
Registered
147 Posts
Juste ordered Puig rear hugger for my R1200R LC and, while waiting for it to be delivered, I've been reading about the problems you guys had on pre 2015 models... I understand that hugger front arm going to para lever bolt should have free play in order to avoid problems, but new LC model also has ABS cable bracket fixed to this bolt and, according to pictures I found on the internet, it sits tight next to hugger front arm... Now, I'm wondering will the movement between para lever/rear drive housing cause front hugger arm to hit this ABS cable bracket and possibly cause the bracket (or even ABS cable) to snap. Here's the picture how it looks like. You can see how close it sits to the bracket.
Another problem, it looks like there could be some unwanted friction between the same hugger front arm and the brake line...

Attachments

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
The only problem with the previous model was the sloppy manufacturing, the design was fine. From what those who have purchased the hugger for the new LC model have reported, Puig seems to have gotten it right and it works properly. The bracket for the ABS cable won't be a problem at all. If you're worried about the brake line rubbing on the bracket, either inspect it occasionally to see if it actually is, and if so, simply sleeve it with a short piece of fuel line where it rubs and that will take care of any problem. Any movement in the brake line is probably quite minimal.

·
Registered
147 Posts
The only problem with the previous model was the sloppy manufacturing, the design was fine. From what those who have purchased the hugger for the new LC model have reported, Puig seems to have gotten it right and it works properly. The bracket for the ABS cable won't be a problem at all. If you're worried about the brake line rubbing on the bracket, either inspect it occasionally to see if it actually is, and if so, simply sleeve it with a short piece of fuel line where it rubs and that will take care of any problem. Any movement in the brake line is probably quite minimal.
Well, I was right, unfortunately. I installed my Puig hugger and went for a 800 km trip with it. When I returned home, washed the bike and visually checked everything, I've noticed that my ABS cable bracket is bent and there were clear marks on the hugger arm where the contact between ABS cable bracket and hugger arm was made. ABS cable didn't get damaged, fortunately.
I was traveling alone and with no luggage. If there was 2 of us with the luggage, I believe that the movement between hugger and diff housing would be even more pronounced, which would probably cause larger damage and possibly snap the bracket or ABS cable in it.

I used a Dremel to cut a little slot in hugger arm, making room for ABS bracket to move freely behind the arm and without touching it. I also need to change ABS cable bracket, because it's no longer possible to align it to stock position after it got bent.
Hopefully, this will solve the problem. I will take a picture of the mod and post it later

·
Registered
147 Posts
Well, I was right, unfortunately. I installed my Puig hugger and went for a 800 km trip with it. When I returned home, washed the bike and visually checked everything, I've noticed that my ABS cable bracket is bent and there were clear marks on the hugger arm where the contact between ABS cable bracket and hugger arm was made. ABS cable didn't get damaged, fortunately.
I was traveling alone and with no luggage. If there was 2 of us with the luggage, I believe that the movement between hugger and diff housing would be even more pronounced, which would probably cause larger damage and possibly snap the bracket or ABS cable in it.

I used a Dremel to cut a little slot in hugger arm, making room for ABS bracket to move freely behind the arm and without touching it. I also need to change ABS cable bracket, because it's no longer possible to align it to stock position after it got bent.
Hopefully, this will solve the problem. I will take a picture of the mod and post it later

As I promised, here's a picture showing the mod.
Note that ABS cable guide will sit closer to hugger arm when I replace it with new one.
This one on the photo is damaged, hence it sits further from hugger arm

Attachments

·
Registered
824 Posts
esso_sa, I hope you didn't weaken the already questionable bracket on the Hugger by Dremeling the casting down!
Also, if you haven't checked through Pierre's post on the Hugger please do! There is potential for serious problems using the Hugger!

·
Registered
147 Posts
esso_sa, I hope you didn't weaken the already questionable bracket on the Hugger by Dremeling the casting down!
Also, if you haven't checked through Pierre's post on the Hugger please do! There is potential for serious problems using the Hugger!
Bracket is already hollow behind this slot I Dremeled. I removed the material only from the edge of the bracket and opened access to already available free space.

I don't believe I weakened it's structure, but after reading Pierre's troubles, I believe it's a simply bad design and I think it's probably still restricting some diff housing movement. Even if it's rotating freely around paralever bolt.
After seeing what happened to Piere, I'm seriously thinking about taking it of the bike. Prevention is better than fixing

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
After seeing what happened to Piere, I'm seriously thinking about taking it of the bike. Prevention is better than fixing
^ X1 - Even though I like the look of the hugger, this is why I never purchased and installed one, as it seems to be more trouble then what it's good looks would be worth to me.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Been thinking about this. So, what's the latest verdict on these? Trim it a bit so it doesn't rub the ABS cable and you're good to go? I have a 2016R1200R. I like the functional aspect of this and probably something that should have been standard on the bike. Thank you.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Is there a moral to these sort of discussions - ?

How expensive are manufacturer's aftermarket parts? Very
How much design rigour, and testing have they been through? Loads

How expensive are aftermarket parts? Usually cheaper
How much design rigour, and testing have they been through? Somewhere between quite a lot and not very much to zero.

You pay your money and take your choice, it's your life.

·
Registered
708 Posts
I don't know why anyone having seen Pierre's posts would even consider the Puig. In comparison, the Mudsling does a good job of protecting the shock and is lighter weight plus it does not break or try and kill you or need re engineering before fitting and is not cast from recycled coke cans.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Just to let you know, I just received Wunderlich hugger for R1200R 2017 and it doesn't need any modification.The bushing is 0,57mm longer then the mount.
steve b in sd thank you for the guide none the less!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi Guys, I have just bought a Puig Hugger for my 2015 R1200R LC. It looks quite different to your model. Can you tell me if there have been any reports of failures on the later design? This is the model I purchased: PUIG HUGGER

Thank you guys!!

21 - 40 of 59 Posts