BMW R1200R Forum banner

41 - 59 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Hi Guys, I have just bought a Puig Hugger for my 2015 R1200R LC. It looks quite different to your model. Can you tell me if there have been any reports of failures on the later design? This is the model I purchased: PUIG HUGGER

Thank you guys!!
This is timely, as I've been considering one of these for my R9T, which has a very exposed Ohlins rear shock, liable to be sand-blasted to bits if left unprotected. Does anyone here have knowledge if the dedicated R9T hugger from PUIG will suit my bike: I have asked NNs but they aren't sure. BTW - I have fitted these units to a couple of previous Roadsters with none of the issues met by others.

·
Registered
478 Posts
This is timely, as I've been considering one of these for my R9T, which has a very exposed Ohlins rear shock, liable to be sand-blasted to bits if left unprotected. Does anyone here have knowledge if the dedicated R9T hugger from PUIG will suit my bike: I have asked NNs but they aren't sure. BTW - I have fitted these units to a couple of previous Roadsters with none of the issues met by others.
Hello LofS!
Long time, no talk to. I'm elated you're back in the saddle with your R9T. While the R9T is not listed on many Puig vendor sites, the old style hugger (camhead '10 - '14) fits not only the R12R, but also the '07 R12S's. Assuming you're looking at the older style Puig hugger, it thus "should" fit your camhead R9T. YMMV...but I would risk it! The attached pic shows the identical swing arm housing on both my 12R and 12S, both with Puigs, and I did interchange them just to be certain they were identical. btw, that older Puig hugger comes in matt black, as well as fake carbon fiber...and...also is available with black or silver mounting bracket. Some Puig hugger combo's are more difficult to source than others. I found the carbon with black mounts (to match black swing arm on the 12S), but had to buy it from an Italian source. Good luck in your continued, long ranging farkle pursuits! Oh, and Sydney says "woof" to Honey. She's sitting in my lap as I compose this, and growled a bit when I went to hit Send...before adding her canine regards.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Thanks, Birk - and getting priorities right, Honey woofs right back at Sydney! How's she going?

I've found PUIG to be pretty helpful and responsive to my queries about their rear hugger for the R9T and its compatibility with the OHLINS rear shock, which is quite a bit bulkier than the simpler OE shock. The matte black hugger with silver supports will suit me, as there is fair amount of silver paint on the bike to complement the hugger parts. I'd probably do what I have before and spray-paint the hugger itself in semi-gloss black to suit the rest of the bike. There's no other 'carbon' on the bike so I'd avoid that option. All versions seem readily available on-line here.

Good to hear from you again - love those bike pix!

Cheers..

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Thanks, Birk - and getting priorities right, Honey woofs right back at Sydney! How's she going?

I've found PUIG to be pretty helpful and responsive to my queries about their rear hugger for the R9T and its compatibility with the OHLINS rear shock, which is quite a bit bulkier than the simpler OE shock. The matte black hugger with silver supports will suit me, as there is fair amount of silver paint on the bike to complement the hugger parts. I'd probably do what I have before and spray-paint the hugger itself in semi-gloss black to suit the rest of the bike. There's no other 'carbon' on the bike so I'd avoid that option. All versions seem readily available on-line here.

Good to hear from you again - love those bike pix!

Cheers..
Further to this, and relative to the silver support brackets, it seems that these are now a thing of the past - much like myself! So it's black or black it appears. Bummer! I may now have to be satisfied with the MaMoTo Mudsling, as the primary reason is to protect the Ohlins shock and spring, very exposed as they are. Given the gold colour, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the reservoir body is made of 24ct gold, such is its price! :surprise:

Attachments

·
Registered
478 Posts
Further to this, and relative to the silver support brackets, it seems that these are now a thing of the past - much like myself! So it's black or black it appears. Bummer! I may now have to be satisfied with the MaMoTo Mudsling, as the primary reason is to protect the Ohlins shock and spring, very exposed as they are. Given the gold colour, I wouldn't be at all surprised to learn that the reservoir body is made of 24ct gold, such is its price! :surprise:
LofS...Don't throw in the towel just yet!

The silver bracketed PUIG 6861J is still available from a variety of Ebay vendors....at least here in the States. This Ebay vendor states "free shipping worldwide" and does not exclude Australia. Try: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Puig-Rear-Tire-Hugger-Matte-Black-5861J-BMW-R-1200-R-R-1200-S/392668533077?fits=Model:R1200R|Make:BMW&epid=203017238&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item5b6cde5155:g:qHgAAOSwHt9eN6Gb&enc=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&checksum=392668533077a7bf1b2bdf0c448cbd407f382ce3a1a1#shpCntId

Here's another at an even lesser cost, and again specifies "free shipping" and proactively states includes Australia. https://www.ebay.com/itm/PUIG-5861J-Rear-Huggers-Mudguards/292307036538?fits=Model:R1200R|Make:BMW&epid=203017238&hash=item440edb697a:g:w5sAAOSwy11c1wx5#shpCntId

There are several others on Ebay.com (US). Sydney sez: "He who waits shall be rewarded".

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Thanks again Bob. I shall have to look further! I see there is a brand called 'Azoma' - which couldn't, of course, be a slip-of-the-pen version of quality brand 'Rizoma', could it? - advertising on EBay a much cheaper but lookalike version of the PUIG item, but I wouldn't take a chance. And - important point - few of the advertised items, priced as cheaply at about USD$35, are compatible with my R9T. But in any event I'm still awaiting info from PUIG's tech department as to whether or not their rear fender/ hugger will work with the chunky OHLINS rear shock. Some things are not meant to be easy! But I say again that armed with your links, much appreciated, I shall keep looking.

BTW - please alert Sydney that Honey has taken to eating grass - seems to think he is a Shetland sheep rather than a Shetland SheepDOG!!! Big savings on dog-food in the offing! :grin2:

·
Registered
601 Posts
Steve ... I put a Puig on my '18, and the mounting process was a cinch. It's been on the bike for 6,000 miles and counting. I've checked the torque values on the bolt next to the brake caliper and it's unchanged.

I did go through some aggravation getting that bolt off the bike, though. I mangled the head of the bolt with a cheap ass torx bit. Embarassing to say the least, but I did get it off with a Snap-On torx wrench and a bit of elbow grease.

Anyway...I read someplace where they had updated that sleeve, since early deliveries did not even come with one, more of a set of washers, from what I read.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
LofS...Don't throw in the towel just yet!

The silver bracketed PUIG 6861J is still available from a variety of Ebay vendors....at least here in the States. This Ebay vendor states "free shipping worldwide" and does not exclude Australia. Try: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Puig-Rear-Tire-Hugger-Matte-Black-5861J-BMW-R-1200-R-R-1200- Here's another at an even lesser cost, and again specifies "free shipping" and proactively states includes Australia. [url]https://www.ebay.com/itm/PUIG-5861J-Rear-Huggers-Mudguards/292307036538?fits=Model:R1200R|Make:BMW&epid=203017238&hash=item440edb697a:g:w5sAAOSwy11c1wx5#shpCntId

There are several others on Ebay.com (US). Sydney sez: "He who waits shall be rewarded".

Again, Bob, thanks for taking the trouble. Trouble is - oils ain't oils (or so we have been lead to believe) and unless my three remaining brain cells and eyes are ganging-up on me I can only record that none of the items you've highlighted are compatible with my R9T! However, what is clear is that if I'm dead-set on the silver support arms/ brackets I could always spray them: after all, I did the reverse once, and sprayed the matte black guard itself in a glossier black paint to chime with the then-bike (R1200R Classic) and that looked pretty good as far as I recall. Shouldn't be any more difficult to spray the support brackets! But I await info from PUIG on compatibility with the Ohlins shock...

·
Registered
478 Posts
Again, Bob, thanks for taking the trouble. Trouble is - oils ain't oils (or so we have been lead to believe) and unless my three remaining brain cells and eyes are ganging-up on me I can only record that none of the items you've highlighted are compatible with my R9T! However, what is clear is that if I'm dead-set on the silver support arms/ brackets I could always spray them: after all, I did the reverse once, and sprayed the matte black guard itself in a glossier black paint to chime with the then-bike (R1200R Classic) and that looked pretty good as far as I recall. Shouldn't be any more difficult to spray the support brackets! But I await info from PUIG on compatibility with the Ohlins shock...
Yep, I agree waiting for the Puig official R9T response is the safest. Having said that, my 1200S has the same rear Ohlin as your R9T. Clearance is more than adequate. I do have a minimal Puig clearance issue with my 1200S exhaust pipe, but that near ailment does not apply on the R9T.

Honey's grass diet isn't good, but pretty normal self-administered hound therapy. Sydney is quite down today with some type of digestive issue, likely caused by her acquired taste for deer poop; and deer poop is plentiful here. There are six of the rascals grazing in our backyard as I write this. Some of their brethren rest in our freezer, and next year more need to be there.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
After some more examination of the will-it-fit-or-not motif, I have bitten the bullet and ordered the PUIG 7023J rear hugger from an Italian retailer I've had good service and keen pricing from in the recent past, <motostorm.it>. From close examination of various pix of the hugger on other R models with the factory shock it looks likely that the OHLINS shock should present no fitting or clearance issues. If it does, I'm sure there's a way to work around it.

I cannot find this hugger with the silver mounting-brackets on-line anywhere, so I'll see how it looks as-is, and if I think it desirable I'll spray-paint the brackets in a silver colour to match the other nearby elements of the R9T.

Many thanks to all for helpful advice. :grin2:

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Just completed the installation of the PUIG rear hugger 7023J in matte black, made in Spain but shipped to me from <motostorm.it> in Italy, arriving only 15 days after ordering. To be honest, I’d have preferred the model with silver-painted support arms, if only to visually ‘lighten’ the rather sombre all-black area around the rear wheel, but it seems that model is nowadays not available.

Fitting the hugger onto the bike was not the easiest of tasks, as I had difficulty aligning the holes for the new front bolt. This important part of the job was a lot more straightforward on the three (3) previous PUIG hugger installations I had done on my earlier R1200 Roadsters with centre-stands: my R9T sits on a rear paddock stand and was thus a little harder to manoeuvre. Finally I used a small hydraulic jack to lift the bike up, and from there it flowed fairly easily.

Happily, there is plenty of clearance between the lower leading edge of the hugger and the OHLINS spring in front of it, something I had to take bit of gamble on. Running my fingers around the installed hugger there’s also plenty of room between the hugger edge and tyre, so no worries on that score unless an arm support breaks – which has been known.

This item will now give me excellent coverage and protection of the vulnerable painted OHLINS spring and adjacent anodized reservoir, which are very exposed and subject to a beating from road gravel and debris, which I’m keen to avoid. Recommended.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Looks good, Lawrence. I’d go to the trouble of protecting that beautiful ($$$) Ohlins too!

Did you follow Steve’s fitment recommendations to ensure it survives?

Fortunately I had good recollections about many past posts here concerning the issues experienced by some, so quickly reviewed them, and of course dredged-up my own recollections of past installs. I naturally followed the suggested procedures this time around too. As a matter of interest I think I'm going to remove the hugger (should be easy with the use of the small jack) and spray-paint the now-black support arms in silver. When reassembling I'll take good care to check everything again. This will give me reassurance, AND give me something to do when locked-down in compulsory self-isolation for 14 days, which is surely the next step of increasingly desperate authorities here.

This Sunday I'm going on a short five-day holiday - long booked BC (Before Coronavirus) - with Mrs Suburbia, and will have to ensure that my heirs and successors know where everything relating to the R9T is in case they have to make an emergency sale!

Beautiful Ohlins? - $1500 + installation and tuning...!!!

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I’ll keep an eye out for a cheap rNineT.

Oh, and stay safe on your holiday. 😄

Thanks, Pz. I found quite some trickiness with this installation - even bearing in mind that it's my fourth (4th) such one - when it came to fitting a chunky spacer (5mm thick according to the PUIG spec sheet) at the rear mounting point that goes into the brake caliper. On reflection, and accepting that a few years have passed since my last install, it may be that this spacer is a new addition to the PUIG kit, for I cannot recall having the same difficulty with it last time round, so maybe it was not included then. Its function seems to be to better align the relative positioning of the front and rear mounting faces of the hugger's arms or supports, thereby negating any distorting or twisting of the arms as the mounting bolts are tightened up. I may be quite wrong in this, but it's not impossible that having noted the breakage issues PUIG may have made that small improvement. One would certainly hope so! We shall see...

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
I removed the freshly-installed PUIG rear hugger after a decent 200km shake-down ride, and spray-painted the support arms silver, matching some of the adjacent parts of the bike. Of course, I’d have preferred to have bought the version with support arms finished in silver, as I have done in the past more than once, but that choice doesn’t nowadays seem to exist now with the R9T.
Masking-up was done carefully, as high-pressure paint-spray can easily enter the tiniest gap and I didn’t want a tiger-striped hugger. A final coat of clear gloss finished the job. The hugger is a rather poorly finished casting or moulding, and it took quite some elbow-grease to prepare it to get the finish I wanted, but eventually I achieved it.
The sole purpose of this is to visually lighten or lift the area around the rear of the bike, which like the NZ rugby team is All-Black, and unlike them rather sombre and dull-looking – I think it has done that.
With the hugger off I took the opportunity to secure a small rubber flap to its bottom leading-edge, just to extend the protection downwards a couple of inches and cover the lower spring suspension joint – job done!

left - as supplied and originally fitted

left - repainted...

left... which also chimes quite nicely - even if not quite perfectly - with adjacent silver elements on the R9T.

·
Registered
4,567 Posts
Great work, Lawrence. It makes the hugger look very tech. 👌

Thanks, Mark. It would have been easier by far if the hugger itself and the support arm came as two separate parts, so that all that tedious masking-up wasn't necessary! This is how the same PUIG product came in the past for fitting onto my R1200 R and later Classic. Easier still if PUIG had retained the already-silver painted arms, again as in the past! Progress, I guess.

But the job - fiddly rather than difficult - did give me something rewarding to do while in self-imposed semi-isolation at home!

41 - 59 of 59 Posts