BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My '12 R12R has a nice Corbin seat on it, and while I've found Corbins to be more comfy than my stock seat on the R11S, this one seems a bit tough. Needless to say I lack what my wife calls "a nice catcher's butt". So I'm wondering if any of my same-afflicted riders have better experiences with other brands (FWIW I bought the bike with the corbin, so I've no idea what the factory seat feels like).

If it matters, 6' & 200 lbs.

·
Registered
490 Posts
I had a Corbin on my XX. It was harder than stock saddle but it was shaped so I was sitting on my pelvic bones and not putting pressure on my sciatic nerves. I wound up buying an Airhawk cushion for long tours. Never had an issue until after I lost 35 pounds.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts
FWIW, for nothing is more subjective than the 'feel' of our bikes' seats - I found the gold standard to be the BMW 'komfortsitz' (no translation needed I'm sure) and always sought that option when changing bikes.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Learning to love my comfort seat on short Covid runs around the Facifern valley after a few painful trips on the standard seat. Not sure how a full day in the saddle would work so have ordered a sheepskin pad.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
FWIW, for nothing is more subjective than the 'feel' of our bikes' seats - I found the gold standard to be the BMW 'komfortsitz' (no translation needed I'm sure) and always sought that option when changing bikes.
I don’t see 'komfortsitz’ as an option for my R1250R.

·
Super Moderator
4,775 Posts
I don’t see 'komfortsitz’ as an option for my R1250R.
Lawrence doesn’t ‘speak’ LC, Doug. The LC’s have the various rider seat height options, the higher ones simply having more padding on the same base, but consequently different levels of ‘scoopiness’ in their shape, so comfort will be a subjective thing depending on your anatomy.

But the LC’s do have a KomfortBeiFahrerSitz option - Comfort Pillion Seat. It was a A$75 option I ticked for my 1200LC.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
My '12 R12R has a nice Corbin seat on it, and while I've found Corbins to be more comfy than my stock seat on the R11S, this one seems a bit tough. Needless to say I lack what my wife calls "a nice catcher's butt". So I'm wondering if any of my same-afflicted riders have better experiences with other brands (FWIW I bought the bike with the corbin, so I've no idea what the factory seat feels like).

I have bony ass syndrome and was looking for more padding but not height. Sargent seats is an option but I have no idea if they would be more komfortable.

·
Registered
4,846 Posts

·
Registered
4,846 Posts

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
Nothing wrong with a nicely-tanned sheepskin on your motorcycle seat; they're quite comfy. A whole sheep, however, is a whole 'nother issue. Even moreso if it's riding on the tank. Best left to the Oz crowd to explain.

·
Registered
100 Posts

So, I’m 6’2” 210 lbs, bony butt. My wife who also rides is also afflicted with bony butt. The problem we have is in the tailbone area. So...starts the quest years ago and many $1000’s of dollars in seat...and the conclusion is.....you just have to have one made! I have a Russell Say Long on my R1200R and I can ride that bike easily 500+ mile days. My wife had a Mayer seat built for her at last years rally and it was like buying a new motorcycle! Out of all the seats we’ve tried, I would say get with Russell or BMS, give them your measurements, send the picture of you open the bike, tell them where your pressure points are, and then be happy forever!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
29 Posts
Ive got the same issue. Bought a Sargent Seat and too has worked well for me. They may still be running there 20% off sale, Worth a look. Great company to deal with very responsive. Customization available as well.

·
Premium Member
648 Posts

Wow! You call 200 bony. How's bout 165 and 6'? I have had Sargents in the past and they are very nice but the new ones are very expensive. The Russel Daylong is the way to go if you don't worry too much about your bike looking "cool". I have a seat made my a fellow in Redding CA. It is a Lamm and I am pretty pleased with it. If I were touring a lot, (74 y.o. so not so much) I would get a Russell Daylong without a doubt. My buddy has these seats on two bikes and swears by them. It comes down to what type of riding you do and how important your bony butt is.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I’ve used Corbin, Sargent and custom saddles I’ve done myself. I prefer Sargent over Corbin as I find the Corbin makes you sit back in the saddle while the stock, Sargent and the ones I’ve done allow you to use more of the seat.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
I’ve used Corbin, Sargent and custom saddles I’ve done myself. I prefer Sargent over Corbin as I find the Corbin makes you sit back in the saddle while the stock, Sargent and the ones I’ve done allow you to use more of the seat.
How does the Sargent compare with the stock seat? Softer? Harder?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I find myself scooting as far back on my Corbin as I can... at times i'll sit on the passenger "hump" just to stretch. The Corbin is pretty firm and tiring- odd, since the Corbin on my R11S was perfect.

May try a Sargent. The RDL are comfy, I've perched on one, but it's like sticking a barcolounger on a bike. Things massive!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts