BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, loving my new to me 2020 R. Bike has only 16,000 km on it. I have an issue with the quickshifter occasionally not downshifting from 4th gear maybe one in twenty times. I’ve tried a few different techniques but problem still there. Anyone seen this before ? My bike still covered by warranty for next 14 months but local BMW dealer known to be a bit dodgy. Looking forward to your input. Cheers from Oz

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
111 Posts
I'm not sure I understand what it's doing.
Do you move the shift lever the normal distance for a downshift and the bike stays in 4th?
Do you press down on the shift lever without being able to move it enough to make the bike shift?
Do you move the shift the normal distance and you get a false neutral?

Give us a little more info, if possible. Have never had this happen on my bike. I will occasionally think I have moved the shift lever far enough on a clutch-assisted UPshift and, despite thinking that I am feeling the normal 'clunk', it will still be in the same gear (usually 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th) but I'm pretty sure that this is me not moving the shift lever the full stroke. The shift pro or whatever it is called seems to work pretty flawlessly on downshifts. I rarely use it upshifting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi pbansen. Gear lever normally shifts smoothly and positively. When this problem occurs lever won’t move at all unless l use the clutch

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,551 Posts
The Shift Assist will be cancelled if the clutch lever cruise control cancelling switch operates, if you partially move the gear lever prior to the throttle fully closing, or if the throttle is not fully closed. These sources need to be looked at, either rider technique or bike fault. Are the gear lever linkages all tightened and the lever pivoting smoothly under load?

Reactions: Pale Roadster

·
Registered
2020 R1250R HP
484 Posts
The Shift Assist will be cancelled if the clutch lever cruise control cancelling switch operates, if you partially move the gear lever prior to the throttle fully closing, or if the throttle is not fully closed. These sources need to be looked at, either rider technique or bike fault. Are the gear lever linkages all tightened and the lever pivoting smoothly under load?
I initially had some downshift issues before I adapted my technique so I have positive pressure against the throttle stop for all downshifts. Not super hard pressure, but unless I had some pressure against the stop I wasn't always 100% closed.

I seem to be in the minority, but I find the quick shifter pretty flawless now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Interesting, l’ll check linkages in the morning. I had a KTM before the R and the downshifting was perfect at any rpm with throttle closed. Maybe l’m a little lazy with throttle or maybe the R more sensitive. How far through clutch pull would the switch actuate ? KTM downshift motion very light compared to R. Will investigate and post results. I generally have very good coordination. Thanks Panzermann

·
Registered
2015 R1200R LC
111 Posts
How far through clutch pull would the switch actuate?
My clutch switch activates very early in the throw: take up any slack in the lever and with maybe 1/4" more movement (measured at the end of the lever) you can hear the switch open or close. That said, I have aftermarket levers which may activate the switch in a different location in the throw of the lever, but probably not THAT much different. Put your ear down next to the clutch master cylinder with the bike off and pull the lever - you'll hear it.

I keep my fingers off the clutch and the throttle rolled off all the way when using shift assist, works well. I don't use it much upshifting.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My clutch switch activates very early in the throw: take up any slack in the lever and with maybe 1/4" more movement (measured at the end of the lever) you can hear the switch open or close. That said, I have aftermarket levers which may activate the switch in a different location in the throw of the lever, but probably not THAT much different. Put your ear down next to the clutch master cylinder with the bike off and pull the lever - you'll hear it.

I keep my fingers off the clutch and the throttle rolled off all the way when using shift assist, works well. I don't use it much upshifting.
Thanks pb

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Okay guys problem solved (mostly). I lubed the shifter pivot with white Lithium and gave it a good clean while l was at it. This and the combination of ensuring l was on absolute zero throttle and not even covering the clutch lever has sorted it out nicely. I still get it wrong if l’m a bit lazy on the 4 to 3 but happy with the outcome and advice from Pb and Pa. Cheers from Oz 👍

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello all, loving my new to me 2020 R. Bike has only 16,000 km on it. I have an issue with the quickshifter occasionally not downshifting from 4th gear maybe one in twenty times. I’ve tried a few different techniques but problem still there. Anyone seen this before ? My bike still covered by warranty for next 14 months but local BMW dealer known to be a bit dodgy. Looking forward to your input. Cheers from Oz
The bike is definitely sensitive to having a fully closed throttle position for the auto blooper to work. Mine is the same.
I’m regard to our local dealer I would recommend trying Mark at Dream Adventure Motorcycles to look after your bike. Very experienced BMW technician and rally racer. You will find him on FB.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts