BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Extra riding pants will be bulky to pack and not needed.
We have ridden in 49 states and never needed to carry extra fuel.
Do you want the extra fuel to minimize fuel stops during the ironbutt section?
One little space saver is convertible pants. Pants with zip off legs.
The extra fuel is more for "just in case" , but there is one leg between planned fuel stops that I want to make that is more miles than I think the bike will do without a small bottle. Good to know about the riding pants.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
The extra fuel is more for "just in case" , but there is one leg between planned fuel stops that I want to make that is more miles than I think the bike will do without a small bottle.
Maybe you better take it. If you don't and run out you'll be cussing that damn Lee guy :)
One thing I have learned is not to trust Google or the GPS for gas. Sometimes the phone or GPS will show gas but the place went out of business.

• Haha
Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Oh, as far as lodgings, I'm a Marriott Bonvoy member, and have enough points right now to stay free just about anywhere there's a Marriott property... :) Planning on mostly SpringHill and Fairfield brands this trip, at about 15k points per night. Free breakfasts, and gasp ability to do laundry in Topeka after camping... LOL! (another reason to make day 1 of the return a little shorter.)

I thought about passing through Moab, but the points/pricing in summer there is really high.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,506 Posts
Thanks for the thread r0ckrat!

I didn't realize this was the MOA 50 YEAR Rally, lots of /5 and vintage stuff, should be very special.

I haven't been since 2019 in Lebanon TN and am signing up for this one, maybe see you there.

Here's a few relevant road tool threads (there are others), obviously can pick & choose what you think you'll need.

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: MGL and r0ckrat

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 · (Edited)
I've put together my toolkit, and have it all in a small MOA travel bag (similar to an old-fashioned men's dopp bag for shaving). I'll spread it out and take some pics sometime soon. I also have all my camping gear settled, and almost the whole kit fits in my 35l roll-top duffel. So I have all three stock boxes for clothes, food, and beverages... ;)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Packed up the bulk of the camping gear. I'm going to try to do an overnight trip before June to make sure it all goes well.

Here's the 35 L drybag stuffed. Let me know if there are questions about any of the gear.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
662 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: dbyker

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,506 Posts
I've put together my toolkit, and have it all in a small MOA travel bag (similar to an old-fashioned men's dope bag for shaving). ... ;)
I normally ignore typos, but I just can't resist this one...
I was wondering why he would put shaving stuff in his dope bag :)
Obviously space is tight on a bike, plus Officer Friendly ain't likely to go digging thru your tampons lookin' for your stash. o_O 🤪

Signed up for the Rally! Haven't been since the 2019 MOA in Lancaster TN and RA in Woodstock VA. :D

Redverz 50L dry bag has tent, ground tarp. sleeping bag, air mattress, pillow & camping chair nestled comfortably inside. (y)

VR00M! W00T!!!

Cheers, Dave

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Obviously space is tight on a bike, plus Officer Friendly ain't likely to go digging thru your tampons lookin' for your stash. o_O

Signed up for the Rally! Haven't been since the 2019 MOA in Lancaster TN and RA in Woodstock VA. :D

Redverz 50L dry bag has tent, ground tarp. sleeping bag, air mattress, pillow & camping chair nestled comfortably inside. (y)

VR00M! W00T!!!

Cheers, Dave
Look forward to meeting you IRL! (And any other members that are going, too!)

The tent is an old Sierra Designs tent that I've had for 20+ years...

Tire Wheel Plant Fuel tank Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
So, the plans have changed a little... Surprise!
For the Grand Coddiwomple, I have decided to pick up all the Route 66 related points that I can (Cities from the Get Your Kicks song, including Reno NV for some reason), as well as trying to get the Platinum "Wander Farther" challenge - 'places' (cities, basically) that start with each letter of the two words. That's 13 letters. The Platinum version is each place in a different state. Route 66 passes through 8, so I'm going to pick up the other 5 states/places on the way home, which also allows me to get Reno without a special trip... This is turning into an almost 4000 mile trip... LOL!

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,506 Posts
... This is turning into an almost 4000 mile trip... LOL!
Women say a hard man is good to find.

No wait, that's a good man is hard to find.

Dang, I hate it when that happens. 😈

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
I've settled on my route to the rally, with an extra couple of days to hit Chicago really quick...
Since two events are synchronizing well, I'm taking the Grand Coddiwomple seriously this year, and incorporating it into my trip to the National Rally... Taking a 2 week vacation from work, and leaving home early the Saturday before the rally...

Day 1 (Sat): to Seligman: 534 Cherry Ave to Seligman / Route 66 KOA Journey
Day 2 (Sun): Seligman to Albuquerque: Seligman / Route 66 KOA Journey to 66 Diner
Day 3 (Mon): Albequerque to Clinton: 66 Diner to Oklahoma Route 66 Museum
Day 4.1 - Springfield (Tue): Milk Bottle Grocery to Red’s Giant Hamburg
Day 4.2 - Near St. Louis (Tue night - need to add any additional points): Red’s Giant Hamburg to Fairfield Inn by Marriott St. Louis Fenton
Day 5 (Wed): St Louis to Chicago and partway back: Fairfield Inn by Marriott St. Louis Fenton to Courtyard by Marriott Bloomington Normal
Day 6 (Thu) To the Rally: https://goo.gl/maps/dQLV44Gv84DctAsCA
~ 2,723 miles

I've already picked up the "end of the route" sign at Santa Monica pier, and the Wigwam hotel in S.B., so will try to pick off all of the following challenges in the trip to the rally:
  • The Get Your Kicks on Route 66 Challenge
  • The WANDER FARTHER Platinum Challenge
  • The Historic Route 66 Challenge
  • The States Along Route 66 Challenge
  • The Celebrate the Mother Road! Challenge

For "Kicks" and Platinum, I'm heading home through 5 more states for a total of 13, passing through Reno, NV before re-entering CA. I still have to plan that route to find compatible cities to pass through, but have a few ides...

Additional states are: Nebraska, Colorado, Wyoming, Utah, and Nevada. Finding cities (one from each state) that start with the letters of Wander Farther is the only really hard part... :)

Wish me luck!

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,248 Posts
Before your trip you may want to check, how many miles you can ride your bike pass zero. I have ridden mine twenty eight miles once. I'm not promoting to do this on a regular
basis, but I think it's good to know.
But it isn’t good to run an FI bike dry

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
TRUE,
I'm not promoting to do this on a regular
basis, but I think it's good to know.
I'll just not run over 200 miles per tank...

On another note, bought a cheap sheepskin seat cover, and am making the skin part into a saddle cover...

In progress. The center panel of the $30 amazon cover is real, decent skin, comes within an inch of the seat edges, and will help with cushion and cooling.

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

21 - 38 of 38 Posts