BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
Minor late-breaking change in plan, leaving Friday instead of Saturday, and reducing mileage each day a little for the first few days. A heat wave is building, and on day one I'll be passing through Needles, CA which is projected to have temps near 116*f (46.6*c)... Luckily I shan't be there long, have a cooling vest (water soaked slow-evap material) and neck bands of the same. I will have 3 liters of water on my back, and 3 20 oz Gatorades in my box. Once past Needles, I'll be heading into Oatman, AZ where the temp is at least 10*f cooler, which is something I know I can handle better.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,577 Posts
. . . Signed up for the Rally! Haven't been since the 2019 MOA in Lancaster TN and RA in Woodstock VA. :D . . . Cheers, Dave
Unfortunately won't be able to attend the rally after all. Ride safe and have a great time!

Best! Dave

• Sad
Reactions: r0ckrat

·
Registered
694 Posts
Have fun. A friend stayed with us a couple nights last week after a 36 day Route 66 trip. He had a couple side trips along the route.
He lives in Kansas and started the route in LA.
He said the road was not much fun but found all the Points Of Interest and history very interesting.

Tire Wheel Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #46 ·
That's definitely the right bike for a 36 day highway trip!

Looks like I'll be passing through Needles before it gets over 105f (40.5c) and definitely before it's 110f(43.3c), and my first night will be in Seligman where the high is mid-90's and overnight low in the 50's range (35c high, 12c low).

·
Registered
694 Posts
Looks like I'll be passing through Needles before it gets over 105f (40.5c) and definitely before it's 110f(43.3c),
Forecasts can be wrong and it may get hotter.
It's not a sin if you have to call it a day due to heat.
Be safe and have a fun trip.
Hope to bump into you at the rally.

Look for a old guy on a BMW :)
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Picture of Debbie
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
LOL! Old guy on a BMW, at the MOA rally... Riiiiiiiiiiiiight.... LOL!

Sent from my SM-N970U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
Middle of day 3 now. Day 1 was HOT with 119 f heat through a big chunck of eastern CA and heading up towards Oatman AZ.

Lunch in Oatman, then continued on to Seligman AZ with it averaging around 105. Camped in Seligman at a KOA next to a train track...

Day two it stayed below 103, with a stretch of rain where it dropped the temp to upper 60s, a lot of time in the high 80s. The missus booked a rom for me in Albuquerque NM, for a soft bed and nice shower.

Day 3 so far was up to Santa Fe, NM, and then a nice road SE through high desert to Clines Corner before I40 E again to my lunch stop here in Santa Rosa at the Sun and Sand Motel & Restaurant.

I'll have to post pictures soon, but have been pretty tired the last couple of days and poor signal right now. Or you can check my Facebook timeline... look for Stephen Hughes-Jelen.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #50 ·
Spending a day and doing laundry, seeing a couple places around Oklahoma City today since I was in so late last night. Have to switch hotels, though. :(

Ok - here comes the photo dump, part 1...

Loaded up and ready to go, I left just before 7 PST.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle Sky

The first stop was San Bernadino for a quick 'Welcome" sign.
Sky Plant Tire Light Automotive tire

Then on to Elmer's Bottle Tree ranch outside of Barstow for a few pictures since they had a Barstow City Limits sign I was able to get more than 1 tag at this location. Bonus for me was that the Long Beach Blvd sign was in this shot as well.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Sky Vehicle

While in Barstow I was able to get a Classic Rte 66 CA sign, before starting to really make some distance. Off into the desert I went where temperatures really started to climb. I put on my TechNiche evaporative cooling vest, and sometimes soaked my head sock to combat heat stroke, staying well hydrated along the way. At Roy's Cafe it was 109f, I had an ice cream bar and bought a little fuel before heading on to the next stop.
Sky Wheel Car Tire Vehicle

I missed a tag opportunity in Needles, but it was 119f, so I blame a little bit of heat confusion. So hot that my phone didn't want to cooperate much - I had to cool it against my body to take this next shot, and couldn't get it running for nav heading to my next stop.
Sky Wheel Plant Automotive tire Motor vehicle

Fortunately, I knew the way to the state line...
Fuel tank Tire Wheel Sky Cloud

More pics to come!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
From the AZ state line (it was still 115f+) I headed to an ex-mining town, where the past inhabitants set their burros (like a donkey/mule crossbreed) free when they left. Oatman AZ is now a touristy little town with a daily gunfight in the streets, and the burros wander into town to be hand fed by the tourists. Fun little place, where I had a good burger, a coffee over ice, and a tall water with a splash of lemonade while I cooled down a bit. It was 105f in Oatman.
Those are dollar bills all over the walls, ceiling, and fixtures...
Food Tableware French fries Deep frying Ingredient

Tire Wheel Sky Cloud Vehicle

From Oatman, it was eastbound some more, with the phone cooled and giving GPS navigation again. I headed to Kingman AZ (a bit of a theme here, that will be clearer later, but I'm getting cities from the song Get Your Kicks on Route 66 in reverse) for a couple more pictures. Another theme along the route that started in 2003 - adding thematic bits from the Disney/Pixar movie Cars. The animation team took a trip down 66 before starting to get a sense of what the writer was looking for. Temperatures ranged from 103f to 108f for most of the rest of this day.
Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Motor vehicle

Tire Wheel Plant Sky Cloud

The next stop was the Hackberry General Store. As kitschy as you imagine, but I always try and support places like this to keep them alive - really neat historical stuff (some would say trash) surround the building (rusty cars, old gas pumps, etc.)
Sky Cloud Automotive tire Art Window

After that, there was some long, lonely Rte 66 highway as I made my way to Seligman, AZ for the night.
Cloud Sky Ecoregion Infrastructure Road surface

Cloud Tire Sky Plant Wheel

Enjoying the sunset at the KOA campground in Seligman, AZ. Unfortunately, it's right next to a freight line train track... One train overnight actually shook the ground... what they call a "3-miler" (about 3 miles long, 6 engines in front, 3 in the middle, and 1 pushing from the rear.)

Cloud Sky Plant Tire Automotive tire

And that concludes day 1 of the trip. Roughly 450 miles.

Time to pack and move to the next hotel, more to come!

·
Registered
694 Posts
It's only going to be in the 90s at Springfield. Did you pack a down coat :)

• Haha

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Day 2 started with a stop in Williams for a tag - in the middle of a car show, so the picture is kind of lousy...
Smile Car Motor vehicle Beard Sports equipment

Then a trip to Flagstaff for some time on Rt 66 and a stop at the visitors center.
Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Property

Somewhere along the way I tried to find Winona AZ, but it no longer exists. The Twin Arrows in Toonerville are still there, but one has fallen down.
Cloud Sky Plant Plant community Land lot

Next stop was in Winslow AZ where I - yes - stood on the corner. And had a sandwich.
Cloud Sky Plant Tire Automotive tire

Wheel Tire Land vehicle Vehicle Window

From Winslow I kept going to Holbrook for a picture of the other Wigwam Motel (there's one in San Bernadino, and one in Holbrook - there used to be 8 locations.) A few years ago the wife and I stayed at this location when driving the lower half of Rt 66.
Cloud Sky Plant Tree Cumulus

Before crossing into NM I stopped at Chee's to get a couple of t-shirts.
Tire Wheel Sky Vehicle Automotive tire

Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Vehicle

More to follow.

·
Dave in NE TN USA
1,577 Posts
Awesome! Save some room for rally swag (or you can mail it home).

Cheers! Dave

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
Awesome! Save some room for rally swag (or you can mail it home).

Cheers! Dave
Planning on mailing home a few things that I find I'm not going to need anyway... LOL

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,410 Posts
Did you stand on the corner in Winslow Arizona?

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,410 Posts
And I quote myself... "Next stop was in Winslow AZ where I - yes - stood on the corner. And had a sandwich."

:)
I must admit I missed that caption.

Such a fine sight to see, I’m sure.

• Haha

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
OK - so I left off at the New Mexico border...

First stop was in Gallup, where I took pictures and ran - getting the Welcome to Gallup sign, what used to be the Thunderbird Motel (really cool architecture) and a New Mexico Rt 66 sign.
Cloud Bicycle Sky Tire Plant

Cloud Tire Sky Plant Wheel

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Cloud Sky

Albuquerque NM was a long way off, so I asked the missus to book a motel room for me instead of camping. Arrived in town before dark by just a little, with enough time to stop at the 66 diner for a photo.
Sky Tire Cloud Motor vehicle Automotive tire

The next morning I was on the road by 9 (not early enough, but...) and headed to Santa Fe for another tag.
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

Around the corner there's a really neat church, which was just letting out Sunday morning service.

Sky Plant Cloud Window Building

From there I took 25 and 285 back to I-40 - nice ride through high desert emptiness - I stopped to remove the windscreen, but discovered I'd forgotten the pads and tie-downs I'd set aside for that purpose. :( On reaching I-40 I got gas at Clines Corners Travel Park (I have a picture, but it's nothing special.)

After that it was on to Santa Rosa NM and the Sun & Sand Motel & Restaurant. I got there just in time for a sandwich before they closed for the afternoon.
Cloud Sky Tire Wheel Land vehicle

At this point I knew it was going to be late by the time I got to Oklahoma City (I hadn't even made it to Texas yet) - so I again called the wife for help with motel booking in OKC. Then I high-tailed it to Tucumcari for more pictures.
Tire Wheel Cloud Sky Land vehicle

Tire Sky Wheel Cloud Vehicle

Sky Cloud Tire Wheel Vehicle

Next up - Texas!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Welcome to Texas! I was able to get pretty close to the sign using a gravel access road from the exit...
Wheel Tire Sky Fuel tank Ecoregion

I had an issue with Google Maps navigation, and ended up having to back-track a few miles to get the Rt 66 Midpoint (halfway between Chicago and L.A.) but got there.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Window

Sky Cloud Plant Tree Land lot

It didn't help that the entire day it had been between 97 and 108f degrees... While running behind... but I still managed to get the midpoint photos.

As I was getting ready to exit I-40 for the Cadillac Ranch, my odometer turned over 16,000 miles, so of course I stopped to commemorate it on the off ramp.

Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive exterior Vehicle

Then I quickly walked out to grab a photo at the ranch.

Glasses Cloud Vision care Sky Beard

Continuing on into Amarillo, getting photos of things as fast as I could, and on the road again...

Fuel tank Cloud Sky Helmet Motorcycle helmet

Sky Automotive tail & brake light Car Cloud Vehicle

The Big Texan offers a free 72 oz steak - good steak too. If you can eat the whole thing within an hour it's free... I didn't go in this time.

Instead I continued on to McClean TX, where there is a restored early Phillips 66 station.
Sky Cloud Plant Property Wheel

Then on to Shamrock TX where en route to the Pioneer West museum I also found Texas' version of the classic Rt 66 sign, and the really cool restored Conoco station - now a visitors center/chachkie shop/museum.
Sky Tire Motor vehicle Automotive tire Vehicle

Sky Cloud Building Facade Wheel

Pic of the Pioneer West museum will follow, along with... Oklahoma!

41 - 60 of 87 Posts