BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For sale – R1200 R Rockster in very good condition and with many useful extras. This is the rare 2003 twin-spark model with Telelever front end, which at 105,000 km is a lot better than its age might suggest.

The current (second) owner is a Motorrad Master Technician so the bike has been well looked-after, with a major service completed only three months ago. Unique paintwork – black, blue, with copper-coloured wheels and other highlights – is in very good condition, and the bike is mechanically extremely sound.

Extras include BMW hard panniers: 2 x tank-bags: disc-lock plus cable-lock: BMW cylinder-head covers: tank-protector: Laser exhaust + OE also included. 11 months registration remaining,
Bridgestone tyres are at 50%.

Asking only $4700 this bike offers a reliable and affordable introduction to the world of BMW boxer-twin sport-touring motorcycling. To see it in outer SE Brisbane, phone owner (Mark) on 0410684832 or e-mail [email protected] for further details and/ or much better pix than the following!

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
Rode one once, having an f800st at the time, and was most under-whelmed. By comparison, it felt heavy and underpowered. They can look cool though ...

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rode one once, having an f800st at the time, and was most under-whelmed. By comparison, it felt heavy and underpowered. They can look cool though ...
They were only (supposedly) heavy and underpowered judged by the standards of the day, Pz, as they are an R1200R under the skin. I don't much care for the coolth, frankly, but one man's meat an' all that.

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
They were only (supposedly) heavy and underpowered judged by the standards of the day, Pz, as they are an R1200R under the skin. I don't much care for the coolth, frankly, but one man's meat an' all that.
I was judging it against my 2007 f800st, which is a similar 'day' and I was very happy to return to my zippy, frisky upright twin. But as you say, each to his own.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I looks of the rockster - but they were def polarizing. FYI, this is a variant of the R1150R, not the R1200R.
Quite correct, N8: I was too hasty accepting what the seller - a mate - told me! Should have known better, having owned an R1150R myself, with that same very tasty welded tubular art-like Telelever component! Thank you.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I was judging it against my 2007 f800st, which is a similar 'day' and I was very happy to return to my zippy, frisky upright twin. But as you say, each to his own.
Hardly a good point, Pz - definitely comparing apples with oranges. Might as well compare a (say) H-D with a Vespa. Most unlike your usual considered observations: 'must try harder next term', as my teachers used to say in my end-of-term reports. :frown2:

And - you refer to your 'zippy, frisky, upright twin' F800 ST. I again have to cross swords with you on this opinion, having owned a similarly-powered F800 GT for quite some time, travelling on it not only hither and thither, but also yon along SEQ's country roads. A fine smaller machine in many respects, with the usual BMW fit and finish and nice touches, the belt-drive being well appreciated, but mine must have had one cylinder out of action, for it was about as zippy and frisky as a 90-year old suffering from chronic asthma! Once going it was OK, but getting it going was an exercise in patience. But again - each to his own.

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AMENDED AD COPY - mea culpa!

AMENDED COPY AS I MISTAKENLY DESCRIBED IT AS AN R1200 …

For sale – R1150 R Rockster in very good condition and with many useful extras. This is the rare 2003 twin-spark model with Telelever front end, which at 105,000 km is a lot better than its age might suggest.
The current (second) owner is a Motorrad Master Technician so the bike has been well looked-after, with a major service completed only three months ago. Unique paintwork – black, blue, with copper-coloured wheels and other highlights – is in very good condition, and the bike is mechanically extremely sound.
Extras include BMW hard panniers: 2 x tank-bags: disc-lock plus cable-lock: BMW cylinder-head covers: tank-protector: Laser exhaust + OE also included. 11 months registration remaining, Bridgestone tyres are at 50%.
Asking only $4700 this bike offers a reliable and affordable introduction to the world of BMW boxer-twin sport-touring motorcycling. To see it in outer SE Brisbane, phone owner (Mark) on 0410684832 or e-mail [email protected] for further details and/ or much better pix than the one below!

·
Super Moderator
5,150 Posts
Hardly a good point, Pz - definitely comparing apples with oranges. Might as well compare a (say) H-D with a Vespa. Most unlike your usual considered observations: 'must try harder next term', as my teachers used to say in my end-of-term reports. :frown2:

And - you refer to your 'zippy, frisky, upright twin' F800 ST. I again have to cross swords with you on this opinion, having owned a similarly-powered F800 GT for quite some time, travelling on it not only hither and thither, but also yon along SEQ's country roads. A fine smaller machine in many respects, with the usual BMW fit and finish and nice touches, the belt-drive being well appreciated, but mine must have had one cylinder out of action, for it was about as zippy and frisky as a 90-year old suffering from chronic asthma! Once going it was OK, but getting it going was an exercise in patience. But again - each to his own.
I know I shouldn't have baited you with that remark, Lawrence. :grin2:

Actually I recall now riding a better example of a Rockster on the open road more recently and it was more responsive, with better set up suspension, and wasn't such a bad ride at all.

For its nearly 50% capacity advantage over the F800, the Rockster has about 10% more power and maximum torque is but 15% more. It is also rather porky, being handicapped with an extra 30kg in the saddlebags. The result though is a virtually equivalent 0-100 km/h figure. With a nearly 50% capacity advantage, I suppose I expected more, and the original one I rode didn't carry its additional weight well, hence my remark.

We have discussed your F800GT's performance before, Lawrence. I suspect it was well weighed down by farkles, which would have affected its performance. I also feel you expected similar torque characteristics to the R1200 you had forsaken to buy it. With its capacity disadvantage, it was never going to feel like a 1200 Boxer twin. But if ridden in a way that suits the engine's characteristics, it can be very brisk, and I certainly never felt it took any effort to get off the mark. Too much enthusiasm would see the front wheel skimming the bitumen, and I recall once performing a quick third gear overtake with my adult son as pillion and we were suddenly doing 160 (in a rural 70 km/h zone :surprise:). It's relatively light weight meant even its unsophisticated suspension imbued great confidence in the bends and through the mountains I never had trouble keeping up with (and on occasions leaving behind) more capable bikes in our group and hunting down others (hence it's moniker Panzerjaeger) without having to wring its neck - just smooth riding with high corner speeds. Perhaps your GT simply didn't match your riding style/ability ... :wink2:

·
Registered
5,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think we have zorsted each other - and maybe others! - on this sword-play, Pz. Enough already, she cried!

But in similar vein, although recent continuous and continuing downpours here in the sub-tropics have made forays out on the new-to-me R9T rare indeed (thus offering plenty of time for farkling opportunities) I must say that despite my very long experience since 1997 (AD) with these boxer twins, the performance and dynamic 'feel' of this one is eye-opening. In almost every respect it is a very far cry from my latter-day Yamaha MT-09 Tracers and GT, fine little machines though they are. (Please note that I said 'experience' not 'expertise'!).

Reactions: Panzermann
1 - 10 of 10 Posts