1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I thought I would share my new project.

The plastic pulleys on my 2011 R12R throttle body started to crack. I did not want to spring for the $400 aluminum replacements - although they look very nice! The Bing replacements looked like a good option, at a more affordable price, but I wanted something that was just plug and play and didn't require dissembling the TB or drilling/tapping. So... I designed a replacement that will slide on the metal portion of the throttle pulley and fasten with two screws. It will be made from SLS Nylon12 which I think will be stronger than the stock POM part. The POM part snapped to pieces way to easily when I was taking it off.

After a bunch of iterations I finally have something that I think will work and have ordered in my first two samples made of Nylon12 to test on my bike. I would like to sell these eventually, but need to test them thoroughly first.

Here are pictures of one of my final prototypes. As you can see I have beefed it up a lot from the stock pulley. The spring does touch the pulley a tad when the throttle is pulled, but I do not think it rubs enough to pose a problem.

Any thoughts/feedback is welcome!
Camera accessory Camera lens Gas Machine Auto part

Automotive tire Bicycle part Engineering Auto part Gas

·
Registered
Beatrix - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
482 Posts
Interesting. My "2 cents": spring rubbing might create small debris after prolonged use, and increase stress on the spring attachment points (are these metal?). If there is no cover above the spring, small derbies shouldn't be an issue, otherwise shavings might clog something in the mechanism. You might want to add a dab of plastics safe grease (silicone based?) to the bottom of the spring to aid in sliding on top of the pulley. Again, grease is probably not necessary due to most plastics self lubricating properties.

Reactions: Jonah

·
Registered
2011 R1200R Classic
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I took a little off the top so the spring doesn't rub now. I was trying make it as thick/strong as possible, but even with the 1.5mm removed off the top, it is plenty strong. I did a hammer test on a version printed in ASA and it dented and squashed but didn't shatter like the original POM one did. I will post up again after some real world testing.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

1 - 4 of 4 Posts