BMW R1200R Forum banner

R1200R 2015-2018

923 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  trogdor1138 
#1 ·
What has been the issues with the R1200R 2015-2018?
Been thinking of one and do not know what ails it.

Also, in 2015, did BMW change the R for more room for the rider?
I did not fit the older ones and heard the 2015 started w/ a change

#2 ·
My '16 gets pounded hard. Other than a fork seal it's only needed routine maintenance & consumables. 36K miles, 30K by me.

My aging body can easily do 500 mile days on it but last weekend I learned that a 600 mile day is pushing comfort.

#3 ·
From 2015 BMW completely revised the Roadster, with the liquid cooled (LC) power train as the basis as per the 2013+ GS and RT.
Like the GS/RT, there have been some with corrosion issues on the rear drive splines, principally the rear, due to insufficient assembly grease. There have been drive shaft Cardan joint failures, again, like the GS (same part) although not common.
Other than that, I can’t think of any systemic issues. My 2015 has done around 120,000 km and runs like new.
The LC Roadsters have a variety of seat options of various heights, and are amenable to handlebar risers if you are looking for additional room.
Model update info is shown at the top of this section, as well as info on seat options.

#6 ·
You don't state your height, but I'm 6' 1" / 1.85m tall and I find the R works. It's not as relaxed a position as my F650GS, but I can still ride for hours in a go.

However, I did make the following changes to accommodate:
  • Bar risers, specifically from Hornig. I went with parts that not only raise the bar, but also bring it towards the rear
  • Installed the "HP" adjustable pegs and levers. I have the pegs set at their lowest height; with US 13 boots I have dragged the toe if I'm not mindful
  • Swapped for the sports seat. I also have the "high" / RS seat and the original seat, so I've got a complete set :p I'll swap for the high seat for travel as it's wider. The low seat would lead to stiff knees for me. I can flat-foot the bike with any of the seat options (34" / 86cm inseam)
But like Panzermann said, talking about it does no good; you gotta go hop on a bike :cool:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.