BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just came back from a run,parked up,only to notice a small drip at my left fork seal.on further investigation,I found my seal is away.my.question is,is there a special one to purchase,as the bike has ESA.
Thanks,
Jim.

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
How many km have you done, Jim? It’s actually unlikely the seal has gone - more likely some grit has got under the seal.

You can carefully prise the dust seal down and use a Seal Mate to clean under the seal. The Seal Mate is simply a shaped piece of 0.2 mm stiff plastic, so you could make your own from say X-ray film.

The Max BMW online fiche shows a different part number for the ESA forks, so if you do go down that road, be mindful of the distinction. If it were me replacing seals, I’d go All Balls seals, based on my research. You’ll need a manual - disassembly/reassembly is a meticulous operation. The Haynes manual has useful info on making a tool with which to compress the springs (the BMW manual just says to use their special tool). There’s a thread on here about changing the fork oil that will give some useful tips for at least part of the job.

·
Registered
98 Posts
This type of issue with the USD type fork is what puts me off buying any bike with this design .There may be some improvement over the conventional type forks, on say, the F750GS ,but having a USD fork tube so close to the road surface and brakes seems a little flawed to me . I would much rather stay with the telelever or conventional fork set up .But everyone makes their own choice, and that's the way it should be .

·
Registered
27 Posts
This type of issue with the USD type fork is what puts me off buying any bike with this design .There may be some improvement over the conventional type forks, on say, the F750GS ,but having a USD fork tube so close to the road surface and brakes seems a little flawed to me . I would much rather stay with the telelever or conventional fork set up .But everyone makes their own choice, and that's the way it should be .
Seal Mate has worked for me on 5 bikes over the last 15 or so years. Each time I thought I needed new fork seals but cured the problem with a quick cleaning. 2 bikes with conventional forks and 3 upside down forks. The inverted forks did not seem more prone to a leak. I have 5 years and 35,000 miles on my 2015r LC without a leak so far (knock on wood).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Seal Mate has worked for me on 5 bikes over the last 15 or so years. Each time I thought I needed new fork seals but cured the problem with a quick cleaning. 2 bikes with conventional forks and 3 upside down forks. The inverted forks did not seem more prone to a leak. I have 5 years and 35,000 miles on my 2015r LC without a leak so far (knock on wood).
Thanks for replying,I've done approx 17,000 miles,got it last year,it had done about 15,000..where can I buy a seal mate? I'll give that a go before I go down the road of new seals..thanks..
Jim

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
Unlikely the seals have worn out. I had a somewhat persistent weep, which I cleaned a number of times, and in the meantime ordered some All Balls seals. The original seals are now working fine, so I'm in a quandary as to whether to change them at the next fork oil change. Because I have the seals on hand, now the originals will likely last forever ...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've purchased this to see how I get on,before I go down the road of new seals..

·
Super Moderator
4,787 Posts
👌 Should do the job. Looks a more robust solution that the Seal Mate, which is very expensive shaped piece of cheap plastic (but it does work, although can crease under tight seals).

·
Registered
23 Posts
Just came back from a run,parked up,only to notice a small drip at my left fork seal.on further investigation,I found my seal is away.my.question is,is there a special one to purchase,as the bike has ESA.
Thanks,
Jim.
Make sure you don’t have debris under the seal, put a pick in there and shoot some WD-40 in there to clear out any dirt or debris. If it still seeps a regular seal will work

1 - 11 of 11 Posts