BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am interested on R1200R very much. But R1200R is not popular in Thailand. (I base in Thailand). I am thinking whether I should buy 2nd hand bike R1200R year 2008 or buy new classic one year 2012. In average, how many percentage price drop for 2nd hand bike year 2008 compare to new price?

If I buy 2nd hand bike, do you think it is still well to use for 4-5 years old bike. Mostly these 2nd hand bike are came from USA.

R1200R classic, it is very great appearance. Is it difficult in term of maintenance to keep the cromo look glossy? Or is it better to buy normal R1200R (non-classic)?

Thank you in advance for sharing information if possible. It is hard to find R1200R information in Thailand.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
335 Posts
I can't speak about price differences, new versus used r1200r's; I can say as the owner of a Classic r12r that so far keeping the chrome parts shiney has not been a problem

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Thanks for your input. Would u mind to share info about fuel consumption per your experience. Dealer here claim at 23Km/L at speed of 120km/Hr.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Hey, Don't really know the motorcycle market in Thailand so is hard for me to give you any advice price wise.

I can tell you that this bikes run for long long time as long as you service them regularly, I wouldn't be afraid on buying a used one but if you have the money, go and get yourself a new one.

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Thanks for your input. Would u mind to share info about fuel consumption per your experience. Dealer here claim at 23Km/L at speed of 120km/Hr.

Thanks
We have touch this subject, and every one has a different number but the average is 20 km/l

There are so many variants on that number that it's impossible to get a 100% accurate one.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
Hi Kwang

I just got back from Thailand actually :). I visited a BMW motorcycle dealer in Bangkok. They had two r1200r in their show room. Both classic models. One was already sold. Apparently they only get the classic models. The problem in Thailand is the import tax on foreign vehicles, it's something like 30-40%? The cheapest new r1200r was over 900 000 baht. So about 30 000 $. So it seems a used one might be a better option. The other option I would consider if I lived in Thailand would be Ducati. The monster is build in Thailand (like many car companies, e.g. Toyota, they figured it was easier for them to build them in Thailand rather than have to export it there where huge taxes get added). I was told that another Ducati model should be build there soon too for sale in Thailand. The monster was 500 000 baht (under 17 000 $).

The Ducati dealer was also way more impressive and organized than the BMW dealer.

It seems the r1200r however is a little more popular than other BMW models. I was told there is only a total of 10 f800r bikes in all of Thailand. So maybe you can get lucky and find a decently prized used one.

Good luck, hope you find what you want .

I am interested on R1200R very much. But R1200R is not popular in Thailand. (I base in Thailand). I am thinking whether I should buy 2nd hand bike R1200R year 2008 or buy new classic one year 2012. In average, how many percentage price drop for 2nd hand bike year 2008 compare to new price?

If I buy 2nd hand bike, do you think it is still well to use for 4-5 years old bike. Mostly these 2nd hand bike are came from USA.

R1200R classic, it is very great appearance. Is it difficult in term of maintenance to keep the cromo look glossy? Or is it better to buy normal R1200R (non-classic)?

Thank you in advance for sharing information if possible. It is hard to find R1200R information in Thailand.

Thank you.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hi Atractaspic,

Many thanks for your sharing info. Hope you had great time in Thailand. You are exactly right. I used to think about Ducati-monster like you said. And also used to test ride on the model produced in Thailand Monster-795. I don't understand why their engine is super heat when I compare to 796 or 696 or even 1100. 795 price is just half of imported models price. Then, they produce another model - Diavel. Price is around Baht900K or USD30K. Diavel imported model (same spec.) Baht 1.2M or USD40K. So I thought to buy Diavel-Thai version. But it is not nimble for me when I drive in town, specially in Bangkok. That's why I try to find other options i.e. R1200R. I love on their look even I have never test ride before (there is no test ride for this model).
Anyway, I may need to reconsider and think carefully whichone I should go to buy after getting more info. It is quite big amount for me. So jealous, you all can ride great bikes which a lot of cheaper price.

Even I can get R1200R or not, I will keep reading on this forum. Very friendly forum here.

Thanks you all for sharing good info and wish you all enjoy and safe on riding R1200R.

Cheers,

Thanks

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
kwang: Thailand was beautiful. Let us know what bike you end up buying ..we want to see pictures! :)

By the way it must be frustrating not to be able to ride motorcycle on the freeway in Thailand! Found out that none (no matter what engine size) are allowed on the freeways!

Good luck.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Atractaspic, impressing! How long did u stay in Thailand. seem u know thailand quite well. U are right. Here they are not allow any bike run on free way and expressway even some bridge across some junction too. Yes, it's very frustrating.
Finally, I got r1200r classic. But 2nd hand one. used millage was 857km. Around 20% discount from new bike price. I will take picture and share u all this weekend.

Very happy to get it even I have not familiar with it yet.

Cheers

·
Registered
16 Posts
Atractaspic, impressing! How long did u stay in Thailand. seem u know thailand quite well. U are right. Here they are not allow any bike run on free way and expressway even some bridge across some junction too. Yes, it's very frustrating.
Finally, I got r1200r classic. But 2nd hand one. used millage was 857km. Around 20% discount from new bike price. I will take picture and share u all this weekend.

Cheers
Kwang
Excellent choice to get R12
Come and Ride to Malaysia...there are number of Malaysian riders riding up to Thailand , I believe you are aware of this....

·
Premium Member
215 Posts

Cheers
Hi again.. My brother and his family live in Thailand. They moved there three years ago. I visited him last year and this year and spent nearly three weeks there each time. I am very impressed with the driving skills of people on scooters there (as crazy as they are. Ha). Thailand is a beautiful country and very nice people! Am jealous my brother gets to live there !

Congratulations on your bike!!! Pictures please! :)

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts

Cheers
Hey, congrats on the purchase, 857km it's new, and broken in, and who doesn't like a %20 off a new toy??

Go out and enjoy riding, here it's way to cold for me to do that.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hoshiko, it is my 1st bigbike. I am not familiar with it much but I enjoy riding it. Like Atractaspic said last time, there are only 10-20 bikes for this model in Thailand. It really attracts people when it is on the road hahaha. Only problem I have rightnow is engine heat when traffic. If traffic is longer than 2 minutes, I have to kill engine to avoid overheat. Currently, there are only 2 level remain on heat meter when I jam at traffic light. Not sure, what I do now is correct way to do or not?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,242 Posts
Two bars is not unusual. No need to do anything but enjoy the ride.
:iagree:

Don't worry about overheating the bike, we talked here about that and no one under any circumstance of traffic and weather has overheated the bike, including myself.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi Kwang, I saw your posting and I happen to be in Bangkok. I own a R1200R Classic. Have you gotten your R1200R already? Call me 0937674851.

Thanks

Thomas

1 - 18 of 18 Posts