BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
Just trying to relieve a little frustration. When considering to purchase an item for my 'treasure', I am frustrated to find ; available for R1200R up to 2010.
What is the official / recognised date for the R1200R DOHC.

I would really like to purchase the Wunderlick clear hand guards (8600346). These appear only adaptable upto 2010.

Can they be fitted with a small modification or is there another brand that is suitable for the DOHC.

So many items, So few for the dohc. it seems.

Regards
John

·
Registered
5,105 Posts
G'day from Brisbane, John. One of the very few items I miss on my previous 2010 GS (now on a 2013 R) is the handguards. I wonder if the guards from a GS would fit your R?

L of S

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
DOHC date?

I wonder if the guards from a GS would fit your R?
YES. Buy the GS handguards for the same production year model of your Roadster. There are numerous posts on this.

The official date would depend upon where you live. Europe USA Asia Australia
The newer DOHC camheads have a 0400 or 0490 vehicle number.
Here is one site you can check for yourself.
RealOEM.com   Online BMW Parts Catalog
Patience is a virtue.
It just takes a few years for the aftermarket manufacturers to catch up.
There have to be enough of the new bikes sold to make it profitable for them to put out a new product line.
Five years from now, when the new liquid cooled Roadster is out, we'll be complaining about the same supply problem for those farkles.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just put a set of generic Barkbusters on my '09. No problem, fit like they were made for the bike, not expensive.

·
Registered
44 Posts
As has been stated here many times, when it comes to aftermarket accessories, manufacturers tend to pander to the GS crowd but many of the parts will work for the R also.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hi All,
Many thanks for the replies. I did do a lot of searching in regard to the clear hand guards. Unfortunately many well meaning replies indicated just how nice THEIR hand guards looked on their bike, not specifically if the clear guard would fit mine ( R1200R dohc 2012 ).
I have had confirmation from Wunderlich that the problem with fitment is a change from 5mm to 6mm mounting screws ( not really enough to get upset over).
I will try and check the fitting instructions and determine if anything else may be involved, So ...
For those R12 2012 owners how like this, the Wunderlich 8600346 may just be screwed back to life.

Always appreciate the replies
John

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Acerbis

Acerbis Rally Pro offers a solid aluminum bar for protection, IF that's what you desire. Just another option.

Report this image

Acerbis Rally Pro X-Strong Handguards

A Swivel mount for larger 1 1/8" bars is available.

Acerbis Handguards Pro Taper 1 1/8 Bar Swivel Mount Kit --2041860061/12911700

1 - 10 of 10 Posts