BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have a 2017 LC with 4k on the clock. All was fine and then my dipped beam indicator light started to flicker. I have the led running lights on, and the top bulb in the headlight is on. But no green light on the dashboard.

If i press the button on the left hand grip the lights do not move between main and dipped beam.

If I press the flash or pass button, the bottom bulb lights and the blue dash light for main beam comes on.

Looking for suggestions to point me in the right direction.

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
Hi Gavin

Have you studied the relevant section of the manual to fully understand the headlight functions and what the light button on the LH grip does? It’s not clear to me from your description whether you have Headlight Pro and what is actually happening.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Hmmm. Not sure I follow. What is "dipped beam"?
Upper bulb is low, lower bulb is high. Running lights are the two small LED's on either side.
1) Blue light indicates "High Beam". Flash to pass/high beam switch activates the lower bulb and the blue light on the dash.
2) Green light is only for auxiliary lights if installed, and are controlled by the button on the grip.
3) Button on the grip does nothing if no auxiliary lights are installed.

In the UK, you may have one other option, as in the US we don't get to turn off the main "low" beam. It's on as soon as the bike is running. Not sure about the UK and elsewhere.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Panzermann, I am not sure if I have the headlight pro or not. When I turn on the ignition all idiot lights come on and then go off, the green low beam light used to stay on, but now doesn't.

Pressing the button in the picture used to turn high beam on, it does not now. It just changes between auto and auto off.

I have read the handbook, but it looks like I am missing something 😕

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks R0ckrat, so the upper bulb, low is on, but the light on the dashboard is not. Pressing the button where my finger is in the picture does not turn high, the lower bulb on, and the high beam blue light on the dash does not come on. But the trigger for the pass light does turn the lower bulb on and the blue high beam dashboard light works..

I am confused

·
Registered
137 Posts
The "trigger" should push away and stick to enable high beams.

Reactions: Panzermann

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
As rockrat says, the high/low ‘dip-switch’ is the trigger switch at the front.

In countries other than US, the low beam can be switched off in favour of daytime running lights. The switch at the top is for setting options on how the headlights operate - manual or auto.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you R0ckrat. You have helped with some of my issue. Feeling a bit relieved. You were right, pushing away turned on the blue main beam light and the bottom bulb. So my issue is that the green light has stopped coming on, though it does light up on the self test.

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Cheers guys, so my only issue is the green dash light is not coming on after the self test. (The one next to the main beam). And everything else is fine. All lights are working OK. Quite a relief.. cheers

·
Super Moderator
5,407 Posts
You may well have the DRL set on manual. Note, though, that the green light may only come on once the engine is started (can’t remember for sure, and I’m nit yet dressed to take the bike out and check 😄).

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok, i will have a look.

With the engine started, the green light does not come on. This is what made me start the thread. It started to flash on and off, then went off and has not come back on. I thought it was a bulb at first, but you guys indicated the top bulb in low, and that lights up. Just not the green light. Yet on self test it does, so the dash bulb is OK.

I now understand how it all works. I have only recently bought it, moved from a 2012 classic.

Gavin

·
Registered
132 Posts
If you have headlight pro, the LH button selects auto/manual for the dipped beam. In manual, the dipped beam will be on and the green indicator off! In auto, the green indicator will be on and the dipped beam off, but LED DRL on ... unless the light sensor on the dash thinks it is dark, in which case it switches the dipped beam on and the green indicator off.

I hope that makes sense, but only if you have headlight pro. Once or twice I have set off for a ride and my green light hasn't been on because the bike thinks the daylight is dim so puts dipped beam on. It also happens in the garage.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Keith, that makes perfect sense. I think I have the headlight pro then. This was the first time I've ridden in dusk, it must have turned the green light off. Makes sense why it was flickering now too.

Guy's thank you all for your advice. Really appreciated.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts