BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any information on a recall of R12's from years 2005-2011?

A number of owners tell me that BMW are recalling the above year bikes as the fuel pump flange (and the auxiliary fuel pump flange if equipped) could develop cracks and leak fuel.

I have a 2012 model, and have heard nothing from BMW.

Opinion is that BMW will notify owners, and dealers will either reinforce the fuel pump flange or replace the pump, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in February 2014.

Whaddya think??:001_unsure:

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Whaddya think??

The original recall was in Canada. Then the USA.
Those two have been posted B4.
Since you are in South Wales, UK , maybe Google it or talk to your dealer.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Whaddya think??

The original recall was in Canada. Then the USA.
Those two have been posted B4.
Since you are in South Wales, UK , maybe Google it or talk to your dealer.
Hmmm, That's exactly what i have done, with vague results. That's why i thought 'Get on the forum!'
Thanks for the replies guys.

·
Premium Member
2,873 Posts
Just to offer my opinion about the recalls scheduled in Canada & USA now.
BMW did NOT volunteer to initiate the recalls.
I don't think it's a worldwide recall.
Safety branch of the governments drew a line in the sand
in response to concerned owners requesting action.:mob:
Squeaky wheel get the grease kind of thing.
If you expect to get any action from BMW,
UK owners will have to unite & raise their voices.
I do not know about UK law or government.

Dave is a Sr. member there.
There are many other UK members.
:whatdoyouthink:
Here is the BMW VIN Decoder:
http://www.bmwarchiv.de/vin/

·
Premium Member
2,105 Posts
I've spoken to my main BMW dealer and they say head office is in the process of writing to all owners of affected bikes, getting the relevant details based on chassis/engine numbers held by DVLA. I guess if you don't hear anything soon a call to a main BMW dealer will see if you need to do anything or not.

·
Registered
372 Posts
You have a 2012 so it would appear your bike is not affected. I don't know what changed between the 2011 and 2012 but would like to know..

Paul

·
Registered
802 Posts
I just got the letter yesterday. According to it, my 2012 is on the list.?? the way the letter is worded seems serious enough to attend to, possible fuel leakage and fire, etc. I did replace the chintzy and leaky plastic quick disconnects on the fuel lines a while back and have had no further issues.

b w

Does anyone have any information on a recall of R12's from years 2005-2011?

A number of owners tell me that BMW are recalling the above year bikes as the fuel pump flange (and the auxiliary fuel pump flange if equipped) could develop cracks and leak fuel.

I have a 2012 model, and have heard nothing from BMW.

Opinion is that BMW will notify owners, and dealers will either reinforce the fuel pump flange or replace the pump, as necessary, free of charge. The recall is expected to begin in February 2014.

Whaddya think??:001_unsure:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sold my 2012 R1200 GS , a few month ago, but got the letter yesterday for it! Looks like is on the list, built late 2011.

·
Registered
802 Posts
I
Sold my 2012 R1200 GS , a few month ago, but got the letter yesterday for it! Looks like is on the list, built late 2011.
I looked up my VIN # on the web site www.bmwmotorcycles.com/recall. according to that, my bike has no open recalls. The letter is kind of vague in that is says: "...you are the owner of a POTENTIALLY affected motorcycle."

·
Registered
20 Posts
I looked up my VIN # on the web site www.bmwmotorcycles.com/recall. according to that, my bike has no open recalls. The letter is kind of vague in that is says: "...you are the owner of a POTENTIALLY affected motorcycle."
[/QUOTE]
Thank you for the link! It's free and clear, NO Recall for m VIN.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received my notice just recently with Vin #.
Recall Campaign No. 21V-060: Fuel Pump
”BMW AG has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain Model Year 2011-2014 BMW R1200, R nine T, K1300/1600, S1000/RR and HP4 motorcycles.”

I have a 2013 R1200R and a 2015 R nine T . The R1200R is going in ASAP.

The fix: BMW will replace the fuel pump for free and should take about an hour. Right from the recall notice.
Cheers

1 - 15 of 15 Posts