BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just fitted an sc-project explorer 2018 r1200r euro 4 exhaust on my r1250r and it seems to fit fine and ride fine, no isues with engine management lights or change in pOwer as felt on the bum. Only the carbon heatshield does not fit due to the OE heat shield being diff on the r1200r . I have ordered a servo cover and once fitted will fit carbon shield. At some stage in the near future after lock down I'll get it dynoed to check fuelling.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I bought the 2019 onwards SCR-1 can. SC project state on their web site that the can is EURO4 and has a ‘DB killer’. Now I’ve always thought the term DB Killer referred to a removable baffle. So, I was a little disappointed to find the baffle is welded in and not in any way removeable as far as I can see. However, something had to be done about the horrendous dust bin OE can.

As it’s Euro4 I don’t see any need to check the bike on a Dyno?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think your right, is there any chance of you posting a sound clip ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
Wouldn’t really know how to Beaky. It seems fine to me, I want a bike, that well sounds like a bike, but I don’t want anything anti-social. Wouldn’t mind a wee bit more noise but I think it will do. I’m assuming (never assume anything) that the slight changes should be within the scope of the closed loop engine management. My dealer was happy for me to fit from new, plus there’s a similar factory Akra option – I just thought the SC project stuff looked better.

Different sound from what I am used to (FZS1000). Rather than purr then sign like the Yamaha, it just seems to fart, vibrate and take off.

Is the baffle fixed in your explorer can?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes the baffle is spot welded into the link pipe, but there is a circlip at the end of the exhaust. Not sure what it is holding in place. I'll have a look when the rain stops at the wkend. The sound on start up is ok but once you open the throttle it seems to be quiet? Not much louder than the oe pipe. Guess I'll no more once I can get out on it...

·
Registered
188 Posts
Yup mine is quite loud on start up, then the revs drop and it quietens down. There is a good bit of bark when you open the throttle wide, but its rather muted on constant throttle.

I understand it is possible to lock the ‘exup’ style exhaust valve open for a bit more low-down noise. Ask others here, I think you have to fit something to fool the ECU that its still working. The theory is that the valve is there for noise control only, but I personally feel it must have a measurable impact on back pressure, and possibly low down torque.

One thing I’ve noticed the last couple of days, is riding in the rain the bike seems to spray or suck road crap into and all over the rear of the bike and the rider. The roads are filthy and I ended up with muck all over my troosers, the seat and lower jacket. I sat down on the chair in ma conservatory to take of ma boots – big mistake – yuk.

Need to go out in the rain and wash the bike now. Never been OCD about keeping my bike clean, maybe washing it every other month or so, but I better get all that muck off, the roads are just rivers of salt and grit.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the info, I'll read up a little more out of interest than anything. I fitted a gs splash guard on the rear for that very reason of all the crud on the road going everywhere. I've taken it off now anticipating being able to ride in the better weather soon.

·
Super Moderator
5,125 Posts
I understand it is possible to lock the ‘exup’ style exhaust valve open for a bit more low-down noise. Ask others here, I think you have to fit something to fool the ECU that its still working. The theory is that the valve is there for noise control only, but I personally feel it must have a measurable impact on back pressure, and possibly low down torque.
Hi Gareth,

The exhaust valve on Boxers is unlike an EXUP-style valve. The EXUP is fitted right up close to the exhaust port to achieve its effect, whereas the Boxer's valve is way downstream in the exhaust system.

I can't speak authoritatively on the 1250 exhaust but I'd be very surprised if it differs in concept and operation to the 1200 LC (and I'd think the air cooled 1200's would be the same). The exhaust valve opening is related only to rpm – it starts opening at 2000 rpm and is fully open at 2500, which is outside the range of normal riding unless you're just dawdling in stop-start traffic, where you are barely using any torque anyway. The exhaust flap opening is unrelated to throttle opening. This is graphed below on a data set of over 1700 points from cold start through normal operating temperature. I'd be happy to be proven wrong if anyone with a 1250 engine cares to record a similar data set.

The only exception is that I've heard the valve operate when idling in slow, city traffic for a long period – perhaps simply to exercise the valve to avoid it binding with carbon build-up.

I've been running with the valve disconnected since out of warranty (maybe even before) and I'm now past 80,000 km. I've not experienced any snatchiness or hesitation off low rpm or low throttle.

If disconnecting the valve, it is necessary to fit an exhaust valve eliminator module though as without the exhaust flap to limit travel, the torque of the stepper valve can eventually break the travel limiters within the control module's gearbox, causing an error to display. Disconnecting the cables temporarily to see if it gives the desired audio effect is highly unlikely to do any harm though. Simply removing the control module will result in a fault being registered by the bike, so the eliminator module is necessary.

·
Registered
188 Posts
The exhaust valve on Boxers is unlike an EXUP-style valve. The EXUP is fitted right up close to the exhaust port to achieve its effect, whereas the Boxer's valve is way downstream in the exhaust system.

The original Yamaha EXUP valve is fitted in a cast collector box. I think mid 00’s Yamaha started moving to the more compact type we see fitted to the BMW’s. It’s just a couple of inches back from where the old-style valve used to sit.

I was just a bit disappointed when my SC Project can arrive to find the baffle was fixed. I considered returning it, but then something still had to be done about the OE dust bin – it’s just horrendous in my opinion.

I get the impression that the days of removeable baffles are over. Insurance companies also want notified of any modifications, and if you mention a can, they immediately ask if it’s road legal. They will insure non-road legal mods, but then you find your premium shooting up quite significantly.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts