BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, I am new to this forum as I have just got myself a R1200R 2015.
I do all my own work on bikes so am looking at resetting my service indicator.
I've done the google thing and it says I need a GS911. I have a Launch 123E for checking the fault codes so don't really want to buy a GS911.
Doe's anyone know how to reset the service light without a GS911.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I have followed @mjgt's and @MikeHSG's advice (much appreciated, thank you both for sharing), and used the following to reset the service light last month after a DIY oil change, here are notes I have captured during my info-gathering in this forum and shopping:

hardware:
  • OBD-II reader:
    OBDLink LX OBD2 Bluetooth Scanner;
    most importantly, it is compatible w/ the MotoScan software/app (see 'software' below);
    www.amazon.com/dp/B00H9S71LW
    price: seems like a covid/chip-shortage-price-jump from $60 Jun-2020 (www.r1200rforum.com/threads/odb-software.41369/post-600921) to $90 Apr-2022
    Rectangle Font Groundcover Grass Packaging and labeling

Note something that might get one confused (me for one) is the fact that the software that comes with this OBD2 scanner cannot connect/read the BMW computer, and I had initially thought hardware was faulty, till I realized one had to use the 'MotoScan for BMW Motorcycles' app/software (see 'software' below) instead

• OBD Adapter for BMW Motorcycle:
    OHP OBD Adapter for BMW Motorcycle | GS-911 Scanner OBD2 Alternative | 10 Pin (Portable)
    www.amazon.com/dp/B01HQSNBR2
    price: Portable==12" $18.5, longer==40" $22.
    Font Event Fashion accessory Audio equipment Auto part

software:

·
Registered
2016 R1200R
17 Posts
If you're reasonably technical, a 3rd option is to use BMW's ISTA software itself with a DCAN adapter. This is a bit of a grey area so I won't go into detail here; you can find plenty of information elsewhere on setting it up. I already was used to ISTA from my four-wheeled BMW's and had the necessary adapter when I picked up my R1200R so this was essentially free to me. It's also the exact same software a dealership uses when working on your bike. You can legitimately pay for online access to ISTA at www.bmwtis.com, but I checked again recently after the service manual garbage and they still don't provide access to resources for bikes. It looks like you're outside the US, which means you should be able to register at aos.bmwgroup.com and get access to all of the BMW Group's information, including Motorrad.

In order of least to most expensive, the 3 options stack up like so:
  1. BMW ISTA and a DCAN adapter
  2. MotoScan and a bluetooth adapter
  3. GS911
I use MotoScan as well and like it; it's faster than hooking up my laptop to the bike. If you do decide on MotoScan, I would recommend getting their own adapter simply because it supports some service functions that the OBDLink LX does not. I found this out when trying to flush the ABS lines on my R13 F650GS; the command only works when using the UniCarScan adapter from WGSoft, the developer behind MotoScan. Here's a retailer in Australia:

UniCarScan Bluetooth OBD2 Adapter Bimmercode - BMW – (obd2australia.com.au)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts