BMW R1200R Forum banner

R1200R Totaled, Rider OK -- ATGATT, Ride Aware

12K views 69 replies 25 participants last post by  moto-rama 
#1 ·
I totaled my beautiful 2009 R12R last month. I was returning home from the dealer along familiar roads. It was a cool clear day, about 43F/6C. I was probably riding about 35mph/56kph. I started leaning into a familiar left-hand curve and BAM just like that I was DOWN, sliding on the left side of the bike down the road and across a front lawn. I think my left fork and cylinder hit the driveway and flipped me over the bike, because I came to on the other side of the driveway with a dislocated right thumb (my only injury!). Thankfully the homeowner came out and a couple passers by stopped, administered some roadside first aid, and pushed my bike to the house for collection later. I called my wife who came and drove me to the Emergency Room, where they cleaned my wound and re-located my thumb. I was incredibly lucky, I always ride with ATGATT, and my suit & gloves took the hit. My beautiful "Cassie" not so much, though she doesn't look bad the dealer stopped estimating when they got up to $14K US, she was totaled. My dealer Service Manager told me when the tow truck brought the bike in, they said there had been another accident there earlier, and there may have been some antifreeze or other fluid in the road.

I'm posting this in the interest of rider awareness. Wear ATGATT and ride aware. Maybe get some gloves with armor on the palms. I just completed Jim Ford's Rider's Workshop two months prior, and Jim's mantra is "Anticipate Continuously. Now precisely pre-position myself first for safety, then for traction and then for the absolute clearest view of the vanishing point". I was setting up for the curve at the time, but I probably wasn't anticipating or watching for safety or traction as much as I should have, especially as this was a familiar road and I was almost home. So let that serve as a word to the wise for what it's worth. It's frightening how quickly I went down. Ride aware and be careful.

Cheers, Dave

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
I was wondering the same thing and was thinking it was a US rider training system. That said, I am in the same camp - ATGATT - 100%.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: slowpoke
#6 ·
Always ATGATT. Yes it can get hot and if it looks too be a really hot day skip the ride rather than not wear the gear. I have a friend who is a first responder paramedic, his wife just also happens to be a nurse, stories they’ve told of the results of not wearing your gear would make ones hair curl.

#8 ·
I also wear earplugs every ride. I am on my third BMW StreetGuard suit and while it's quite heavy (although use it), appreciate all the suits protective design aspects & built-in cool back back protector. I also have a BMW Airflow jacket but haven't used it for a couple of sessions.

ATGATT... I'm running with this acronym - love it!

#9 ·
So sorry to hear of your 'off' Dave, that seems so unfair, especially as you are one of the rare motorcyclists who had spent the time and $$ investing in your own training.

Luckily, you are reasonably OK and will get to ride another day.

The damage doesn't look too bad on the bike. Would there be any possibility of you buying the wreck back from the insurer and repairing it yourself using good quality parts gleaned from here and other places? That said, here in Sydney Australia, once a vehicle is 'financially totalled', IIRC it can not be legally put back on the road. Other states have slightly different rules.

Hope your thumb mends very soon and this New Year is much better than the last.

#13 ·
...The damage doesn't look too bad on the bike. Would there be any possibility of you buying the wreck back from the insurer and repairing it yourself using good quality parts gleaned from here and other places? That said, here in Sydney Australia, once a vehicle is 'financially totalled', IIRC it can not be legally put back on the road. Other states have slightly different rules...
The bike surprisingly didn't look that bad, but the insurance company itemized the damages and they quickly added up to being totaled. They also said buying it back would significantly reduce the insurance settlement, and it would only qualify for a "Salvage Title" anyway and could never be legally ridden again. I reluctantly took the money and let her go, perhaps some of her parts may show up on 'Beemer Boneyard' or similar sites.

Dave

#10 ·
That’s a serious bummer, Dave - you’ll mend, but it seems such a waste that your pride and joy goes to the wreckers.

My pretty low speed lowside a couple years ago was preceded by a tank slapper (caused by the front losing traction, then the back, the front gripping, then the back) so I likely had more time to comprehend what was happening than you did. My overwhelming feeling at the time was one of disbelief as I tumbled down the road - this can’t be happening, this can’t be happening ... Like you, my only injury was to my right thumb, but just a sprain from when the front regained traction and the ‘bars whipped back (I wonder if my steering damper had at that stage already weeped enough oil to compromise function and whether the outcome would have been different with a fully functioning damper).

I’m an ATGATT guy (surprised you haven’t heard the acronym, @mikeS) although in summer I do compromise a bit and wear lightweight gloves. I normally wear kevlar jeans for most riding - I sometimes wonder whether I should be wearing knee armour all the time.

#12 ·
Never assume Panzer - ATGATT new to me.

#11 ·
It's a tough call re kevlar jeans. My son's new Kevlar jeans have hip and knee protectors albeit very minimal. Having had my share of spills, I don't feel comfortable, or should I say comfortable wearing jeans of any kind on my bike. However, if I commuted every day or used my motorcycle around town then might well go the Kevlar jean option.

#14 ·
Sorry to hear about the crash. I’m glad you told us about it, because every time I start to think that I can lighten up on the ATGATT, a story like yours reinforces its importance. See if the ins. co. will let you get some aftermarket items off the bike and then go get that wunderlich seat back.

#16 ·
My son is an ambulance paramedic in Victoria (Oz) and his patch includes some multi-lane high-speed Freeways, which see their fair share of road accidents of all kinds. He and other paramedics are encouraged to photograph injuries (so long as time taken to do so does not delay the patient's care). He has shared with me pix of an ungloved rider's hands after a medium-speed off.

It was sickening stuff. The rider's palms (we invariably fall palms down) looked as if they been run though an industrial meat-mincer/ grinder.

It would have taken many years of excruciatingly painful and costly plastic surgery to restore the hands' appearance and function, and even so they'd never be the same. ATGATT must include good-quality gloves, firmly and securely fastened. The number of bikers (and scooterers) I see without gloves is frightening...

Reactions: dbyker
#28 ·
ATGATT Includes Good Gloves

My son is an ambulance paramedic in Victoria (Oz)...He has shared with me pix of an ungloved rider's hands after a medium-speed off. It was sickening stuff. The rider's palms (we invariably fall palms down) looked as if they been run though an industrial meat-mincer/ grinder...ATGATT must include good-quality gloves, firmly and securely fastened...
So Right LoS. The GLOVES were actually the WEAK LINK in my ATGATT. They were good motorcycle gloves, but the palms weren't armored or otherwise protected from rapid abrasion by the tarmac. My Aerostich R3 riding suit, Arai helmet and BMW boots all did their part, but the gloves fell short of a motorcyclist's needs -- something important to consider in our ATGATT strategy.

Cheers, Dave

Reactions: Panzermann
#17 ·
Sorry to hear. The good news is that you escaped with little damage to you and you are a testimony to what ATGATT can mean when you go down.

I have a nice used 2012 Black Classic in the for sale forum here you may be interested in as a replacement.

More pics posted tomorrow.

#19 ·
Glad to hear you're mostly OK! Sorry about the bike though. Man, your accident sounds almost exactly like my last one a year and a half ago: back road, one I ride frequently, nice day, dry, going through a turn reasonably, and Bam!.. bike just went down. In my case, I could see the slick oil/trans fluid or whatever that did me in on the road after I gathered myself up, but that had to be what got you. One other commonality: ATGATT. Glad the gear got your through in decent shape!

BTW, I scan for oil etc. on the road way more now.

#29 ·
Glad to hear you're mostly OK! Sorry about the bike though. Man, your accident sounds almost exactly like my last one a year and a half ago: back road, one I ride frequently, nice day, dry, going through a turn reasonably, and Bam!.. bike just went down. In my case, I could see the slick oil/trans fluid or whatever that did me in on the road after I gathered myself up, but that had to be what got you. One other commonality: ATGATT. Glad the gear got your through in decent shape!

BTW, I scan for oil etc. on the road way more now.

THIS^^^^, from now on.

Cheers, Dave

#22 ·
That's a real bummer Dave, sorry about your bike but glad you escaped with minimal damage. A good reminder to all to always wear the right gear. Get well soon Dave and don't forget to post a picture of the replacement bike.

#25 ·
Sorry to hear this. Any accident you walk away from is a good accident - if there's such a thing. I wear Knox gloves, they have a plastic scaphoid protector on the palm so your hand slides rather than grips the road.

#44 ·
Right you are FR,

Aerostich repair request already submitted and approved, suit going in for repairs, should be good as new. Good people and good products.

I also to wear a 20+ year old Aerostich Darien two-piece suit, their stuff makes no fashion statement but simply works. Recommended by many graduates of the school of hard knocks.

Cheers, Dave

#40 ·
When I low-sided a couple years back at an estimated 60 km/h, the bike happened to be sideways and I managed to tumble down the road likewise. Only my knees, toes, back and shoulders contacted the road. Gloves and helmet were completely unscathed.

Of course none of this was by my premeditated design - it just happened that way. My mind was fully occupied with disbelief.

Compare this to when I tripped while walking the dogs. It all happened so quickly and to my great surprise there was no time to think about how I fell, and I landed on my left wrist, breaking a small bone in the process. Dangerous business walking the dogs.

I think MotoGP etc highsides are like my dogwalking incident in particular - the rider is flung over the bike to the extent he has little control over he lands. This makes them particularly hazardous. With lowsides, the rider is already close to the ground so when traction is lost, the rider just needs to concentrate on not flailing about, and ensuring they don’t slide on the same spot. Unlike me, they have the presence of mind to do so - maybe through years of practice. I don’t plan to develop that skill through practice.

#42 · (Edited)
Compare this to when I tripped while walking the dogs. It all happened so quickly and to my great surprise there was no time to think about how I fell, and I landed on my left wrist, breaking a small bone in the process. Dangerous business walking the dogs.
Mrs Wordsmith did exactly the same about a year ago, albeit walking only one dog (and not his fault - when walking under a tree following heavy rain she slipped on some slippery Jacaranda flowers that are full of a kind-of err - slippery gel or juice). Remember rain?? Much pain (but no fuss), much physiotherapy, and it was amazing how handicapped she was having only one operating flipper. :frown2:

Reactions: Panzermann
#47 ·
And the prat in the Subie didn’t have the presence of mind to just head off the right hand side of the road when he saw the bike to avoid the head-on.

I do wonder whether the stoppie played a part in the rider surviving, facilitating going over the top rather than through the windscreen.

#49 · (Edited)
Dave, Glad you're still with us.

I firmly believe that an Aerostich Roadcrafter saved my life.
I was charged by a 300lb mule deer while buzzing along at 70 mph.

I was dehorsed and tumbled a long way down the road, suffering a couple of minor dings and a pulverized right wrist, where the deer had impacted me.
http://colevalley.net/five_twenty

Sidi On Road boots, Helimot gloves, Arai Quantum all did a decent job of keeping me mostly whole.
Aerostich declared my suit a total loss, but gave me the 200 dollar Crashers Discount. My new suit came with a get well card tucked in the front pocket, signed by Andy and the entire staff.

I hope your recovery is quick and you're back on the road soon!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

#50 ·
ATGATT for sure!

It is great to read all the support here for wearing protective gear and get good recommendations on what has worked for other riders.
After 46K happy miles my 2011 GS was totaled when I hit unexpected gravel in a corner. I was high sided and flew about 50 feet before touching down and tumbling a bit. Got my bell rung pretty good but was otherwise uninjured thanks to good gear, including an Aerostich suit. Highly recommended and my Held gloves and Shoei also served well.
Don't dress for the ride - dress for the fall! And hope it never comes ;-)

#51 ·
I’ve watched for years now numerous young ladies commuting in Brisbane traffic on a huge variety of scooters. And good on them for doing so. The most common thing amongst them is they are wearing a very nice tightly-fitting dress or very short skirt and see-through blouse, high-heels & an open-face helmet their only protective item.

My wife doesn't believe I watch them only out of concern for their wellbeing...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.