BMW R1200R Forum banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts
Compare this to when I tripped while walking the dogs. It all happened so quickly and to my great surprise there was no time to think about how I fell, and I landed on my left wrist, breaking a small bone in the process. Dangerous business walking the dogs.
Mrs Wordsmith did exactly the same about a year ago, albeit walking only one dog (and not his fault - when walking under a tree following heavy rain she slipped on some slippery Jacaranda flowers that are full of a kind-of err - slippery gel or juice). Remember rain?? Much pain (but no fuss), much physiotherapy, and it was amazing how handicapped she was having only one operating flipper. :frown2:

Reactions: Panzermann
Mrs Wordsmith did exactly the same about a year ago, albeit walking only one dog (and not his fault - she slipped on some slippery Jacaranda flowers that are full of a kind-of err - slippery gel or juice when walking under a tree after heavy rain). Much pain (but no fuss), much physiotherapy, and it was amazing how encumbered she felt having only one operating flipper. :frown2:

Haha, Panzer tripped or if the truth is known intentionally tripped by those sneaky fleabags.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Discussion starter · #44 ·
Your Roadcrafter did its job well, Dave. Aerostich has a good repair service if you want to try to rehabilitate the suit.
Right you are FR,

Aerostich repair request already submitted and approved, suit going in for repairs, should be good as new. Good people and good products.

I also to wear a 20+ year old Aerostich Darien two-piece suit, their stuff makes no fashion statement but simply works. Recommended by many graduates of the school of hard knocks.

Cheers, Dave

Just saw this, another example of the right kit doing it's job.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-en...driver-broke-biker-s-back-in-high-speed-crash

and from the car behind.

https://youtu.be/svmPSlmPvRw
And the prat in the Subie didn’t have the presence of mind to just head off the right hand side of the road when he saw the bike to avoid the head-on.

I do wonder whether the stoppie played a part in the rider surviving, facilitating going over the top rather than through the windscreen.

My son is an ambulance paramedic in Victoria (Oz) and his patch includes some multi-lane high-speed Freeways, which see their fair share of road accidents of all kinds. He and other paramedics are encouraged to photograph injuries (so long as time taken to do so does not delay the patient's care). He has shared with me pix of an ungloved rider's hands after a medium-speed off.

It was sickening stuff. The rider's palms (we invariably fall palms down) looked as if they been run though an industrial meat-mincer/ grinder.

It would have taken many years of excruciatingly painful and costly plastic surgery to restore the hands' appearance and function, and even so they'd never be the same. ATGATT must include good-quality gloves, firmly and securely fastened. The number of bikers (and scooterers) I see without gloves is frightening...
LoS I’ve watched for years now, numerous young ladies commuting in Sydney traffic on a huge variety of scooters. And good on them for doing so. The most common thing amongst them is they are wearing a very nice dress or short skirt & blouse, high heels & an open face helmet their only protective item. I have often wondered how they would cope with the disfiguring injuries from even a relatively low speed fall? All for the sake of looking good..... but for how long?

Dave, Glad you're still with us.

I firmly believe that an Aerostich Roadcrafter saved my life.
I was charged by a 300lb mule deer while buzzing along at 70 mph.

I was dehorsed and tumbled a long way down the road, suffering a couple of minor dings and a pulverized right wrist, where the deer had impacted me.
http://colevalley.net/five_twenty

Sidi On Road boots, Helimot gloves, Arai Quantum all did a decent job of keeping me mostly whole.
Aerostich declared my suit a total loss, but gave me the 200 dollar Crashers Discount. My new suit came with a get well card tucked in the front pocket, signed by Andy and the entire staff.

I hope your recovery is quick and you're back on the road soon!

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

ATGATT for sure!

It is great to read all the support here for wearing protective gear and get good recommendations on what has worked for other riders.
After 46K happy miles my 2011 GS was totaled when I hit unexpected gravel in a corner. I was high sided and flew about 50 feet before touching down and tumbling a bit. Got my bell rung pretty good but was otherwise uninjured thanks to good gear, including an Aerostich suit. Highly recommended and my Held gloves and Shoei also served well.
Don't dress for the ride - dress for the fall! And hope it never comes ;-)

I’ve watched for years now numerous young ladies commuting in Brisbane traffic on a huge variety of scooters. And good on them for doing so. The most common thing amongst them is they are wearing a very nice tightly-fitting dress or very short skirt and see-through blouse, high-heels & an open-face helmet their only protective item.

My wife doesn't believe I watch them only out of concern for their wellbeing...

So Right LoS. The GLOVES were actually the WEAK LINK in my ATGATT. They were good motorcycle gloves, but the palms weren't armored or otherwise protected from rapid abrasion by the tarmac. My Aerostich R3 riding suit, Arai helmet and BMW boots all did their part, but the gloves fell short of a motorcyclist's needs -- something important to consider in our ATGATT strategy.

Cheers, Dave
I'd like to put in a plug for Helimot gloves. Not the cheapest by any stretch but favored by most of my AFM racing buddies. If I were still competing, I would not consider any other glove. In fact, I wear the Hi-5 most of the time.

Check them out here: https://www.helimot.com/store/c3/Helimot_Gloves.html

Too bad they discontinued these bad boys (Helimot Racer). I grabbed a pair when I heard a rumor they might not make them anymore. I've worn them on one track outing, but have decided they might be too wonderful to actually wear.... http://colevalley.net/photos/gear/Helimot_race.jpg

Discussion starter · #56 ·
She was a compelling and gorgeous bike, Dave, and I'm relieved to see you came out relatively unscathed.

ATGATT, indeed. Safe roads man!

Hi Websterize!

Great to see you back on the Forum, albeit briefly perhaps, been a few years, wish the circumstances were better.

Sorry what I did to your beautiful first bike. FWIW, Cassie and I enjoyed some happy trails in our time together. She was indeed a compelling and gorgeous steed, and never ever let me down.

Fair travels and shiny side up to you too.

Dave

Speaking of ATGATT, we just had an uncharacteristic hailstorm pass through. During the storm, I donned appropriate protective gear to retrieve a big’un.

The hailstones were even bigger at the daughter’s place ten minutes away, although it’s not clear how much - I don’t know why she didn’t get digital calipers out and measure some.

The hounds were a bit twitchy.

Attachments

Wow! Those must have done a lot of damage!

Wow! Those must have done a lot of damage!
I expect we'll see a lot more on the TV news tonight, but in the millions, I'd reckon. A friend's Volvo was parked outside and the surface now resembles a golf ball; most cars near her lost windscreens as well. Another friend had the covering on their carport and pergola trashed.

As far as I can tell at this stage, thankfully we came away unscathed, although a peg was knocked from Frau Panzer's clothesline peg basket ...

Attachments

41 - 60 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.