BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I've found what I think is a decent deal on an '07 R1200 R.

Although I briefly owned an R1100S with 11K mi on it, I've never thought about spending this much money for a bike with this many miles on it. I realize there are many high-mileage BMWs out there, and it's probably just me not being used to this...

...but if the bike has been properly maintained (It has - it was a dealer loaner) should I worry?

Thanks. I'm down to looking at either an R1200R or some version of a Triumph Tiger.

Premium Member
KillBilly

I would have no hesitation buying a well serviced BMW with 20K miles, in fact I just have, my 2009 model had 19500 miles. Actually it's probably only just about run in.

Premium Member
Hey Killbilli

I wouldn't worry about that, specially if you really know how the bike was taken care for.

Me personally will buy a new one, how much more per month is it to get a brand new one?

Premium Member
20k isn't high mileage on this bike; as the other Dave says, it's just broken in at that point. A reasonably cared for example will easily get into the 100k+ range without even breaking a sweat.

Registered
r1200r

Having owned both, the r1200r is a more comfortable and serviceable bike. The Triumph is a great bike, fast, light, handles well, etc., but the engine throws off a ton a heat and on a hot summer day it's brutal. So I wouldn't have any issue with steering you to the r1200r. It's a super bike, light and fun to ride. I have no complaints with my 2007.
Bigfoot

I've found what I think is a decent deal on an '07 R1200 R.

Although I briefly owned an R1100S with 11K mi on it, I've never thought about spending this much money for a bike with this many miles on it. I realize there are many high-mileage BMWs out there, and it's probably just me not being used to this...

...but if the bike has been properly maintained (It has - it was a dealer loaner) should I worry?

Thanks. I'm down to looking at either an R1200R or some version of a Triumph Tiger.

Premium Member
Killbilly, one thing to consider: although 20,000 miles is just breaking in the boxer engine, the same is not true for the Showa shocks. They need replacement at 20,000/30,000 miles depending on how and where the bike was ridden. Factor in the cost of replacement when weighing the choice of buying new or pre owned.

Registered
at 20k it's still a puppy-loads of miles to go. 10s and 10s of thousands at least.

+1 on shocks, depending on how ridden, but if you like the way the bike handles as is, that should tell you something re the ride. You'll know when it's time, at first subtle, the less subtle handling chars.
That is a 13-1400 expense though, but whatever you get, Ohlins, Wilbers, etc., will be better and will be able to be rebuilt.

Registered
I would have no reservation about buying a boxer with 20k, my salesman has 80k+ on his and doesn't use oil and still has stock compression. If the dealer is reputable and bike looks good then go for it. Just check the wearables as mentioned above.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts