BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Nicest bike I've owned in 45 years. Smooth, quiet, versatile, fast, powerful, reliable - not hardly twitchy. After knee surgery I wanted something lighter than the last three GoldWings I've owned (over 20 years).

R1200R naked bike? My choice, almost instantly
Sportscreen on/off
25" Cee Bailey screen on/off
Three hard bags on/off
Power on/off
ABS on/ d'uh.... stays on. That's OK
Passenger on/off

45 years on two wheels and I'm crazy-happy with this ride. I like doing my own service so I hope to learn the odds and ends from the BMW-experieced guys. This is my first German bike. '87 Carrera in the garage. '91 Merc 350SD under the carport.

Regards from Lizard Lick, NC. Come by.

Premium Member
Welcome. The R1200R is one of the best kept secrets.

Premium Member
Mister Moo, Liked your comments. You summed it up pretty well. Nothing wrong with the big Wings, but glad you're happy right-sizing on a Roadster. Great to have you here on the Forum.

Premium Member
Yer preachin' to tha choir. . . Nice post! :)

Premium Member
Since we are all a bunch of windscreen obsessives, Mr. Moo. How's that 25" screen working for you? :)

Registered
3 x Goldwings? Porsche?? Merc??? New R????

I'm going to pass the hat around for you, MM - you clearly need a helping hand!

Oh - and welcome!

L of S

Registered
Discussion Starter #9
:iagree:
Hello Mister Moo, and welcome! ....What kind of custom seat is that in the picture?
Sargent; never rode a stock seat to compare. This seat is non-skid under the a$$, just cushy enough and compels a slight lean-to-upright position. I'm 61, just had a 4-level cervical fusion and seat/position matters. I like it.

Registered
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
3 x Goldwings? Porsche?? Merc??? New R????

I'm going to pass the hat around for you, MM - you clearly need a helping hand!

Oh - and welcome!

L of S
Thanks for welcome and hat-passing. Cash me with PayPal, please. :D

It all sounds better than it is. The R12R came with 61K miles on the ticker. The three wings were all used and spread out over 20 years; the Merc turbodiesel 350, bought highly depreciated, was my daily driver for 16 years x 450,000 miles - it saved me more than it cost.

Der Porsche projekt... that's kind of a soft spot. It's now two years of restoration work for a 27 year old car that, new, was slower than a Subaru WRX and cost less than a used Taurus. The dough for an old 911 is in the labor so except for professional paint (last month) I am my own wrench. An old aircooled Carrera is a labor of love but, fortunately, the value has increased faster than the (material) cost of my expenditures including paint and new a/c. So, I tell Mrs. Moo, it's a free hobby and a fun daily driver. Regardless, pass the hat. ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
Since we are all a bunch of windscreen obsessives, Mr. Moo. How's that 25" screen working for you? :)
(reposted in a windscreen thread)
Yeah - funny thing, windscreens. I am 5'11", wide shoulders, 32" inseam and 35" sleeves. Mostly I sit up or lean forward to take weight off my lower back but that's limited by knuckle-dragging arms. The bike came with a BMW sportscreen and 20" touring screen with an airflow cut-out on each side - very stout - not sure if it's BMW. I dismissed the sportscreen as useless for an old man with a hinky neck - more below.

The 20" screen put a burble in my face that wanted to blow windscreens up or down, depending, and put turbulance on my upper chest. It'd be great for a shorter guy which the PO was. I bought used (like new) 25" Cee Bailey and things went pretty quiet without a noticeable cost for extra fuel. Face screens stay put, burble is gone, bugs hit eyeball level or higher and, on a cold day, it's great. Helmet vents work and air is quiet around my chest. I'm a fan. The view over the screen is about 10-15 yards ahead of the bike.

A couple of weeks ago we had five or six days in the high 70's and low 80's so I tried the sportscreen after reading nice things; besides keeping bugs off the speedo it gave me a very quiet helmet and evened out airflow over my head and chest. It's quite good, I think. My only bother is when I look down/behind to check for a lane change above 60mph the helmet catches wind and pulls hard on my neck. (A few months post cervical fusion it seems hard to me - it'd be nothing much for someone whose neck is 100%.)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts