·
Registered
875 Posts
MRA Vario, with spoiler.

I tried...

No screen
Small Sport screen
BMW Medium Touring Screen

and then MRA Vario, a little adjustment and I can ride at 85-90 with minimal turbulence. Schuberth C4 helmet, works wonderfully to maintain quiet.

Reactions: ArbOl

·
Registered
184 Posts
That’s my preferred option too.

But beware folks, the MRA vario excellent though it is only works for 2015 - 2017 models as the holes don’t align for the 2018.

I found out the hard way...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ive been screenless since buying the bike but I’ve just ordered a Puig (7651W).

The latest issue of Ride magazine in the UK has a test feature with the LC vs 1250 and the LC has the Puig fitted. Both testers say the screen is brilliant, so we will see....

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
Screens - such a subjective topic. Never found any OEM or aftermarket screen ideal and that started a quest to reengineer an OEM sports screen with lots of mods. For my needs, it’s about as good as it gets. I also fixed the headlight screen reflection issue in the process. However, the best modification I made was to stopped fussing over screen performance and accepted it is what it is. Been riding all through winter with my current setup with no issues. Being a sorter screen, it should be suitable for summer riding as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
281 Posts
Hi

Like your modifications, I also have the sport screen and am currently running without a screen during the summer and looking to modify my sport screen for touring and for fall.

Did you purchase The MRA the sport or touring deflector?

Thanks Derek

Screens - such a subjective topic. Never found any OEM or aftermarket screen ideal and that started a quest to reengineer an OEM sports screen with lots of mods. For my needs, it’s about as good as it gets. I also fixed the headlight screen reflection issue in the process. However, the best modification I made was to stopped fussing over screen performance and accepted it is what it is. Been riding all through winter with my current setup with no issues. Being a sorter screen, it should be suitable for summer riding as well.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Ive been screenless since buying the bike but I’ve just ordered a Puig (7651W).

The latest issue of Ride magazine in the UK has a test feature with the LC vs 1250 and the LC has the Puig fitted. Both testers say the screen is brilliant, so we will see....
I got the impression from the article that any screen would make a difference tbh? I am holding out for the vstream which should be available for the 1250 in next month. Way more expensive granted.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I replaced the stock screen on the 2018 model with their "hi-rise" touring screen. It's bigger and does a much better job of protecting th body without making the bike look ridiculous IMHO. Still get bugs and stuff into my face but I wear a full-face helmet and shield for that. It should have been the screen that shipped with the bike. (Forgive the Harley, it's my neighbour's).

Attachments

·
Registered
56 Posts
I got the impression from the article that any screen would make a difference tbh? I am holding out for the vstream which should be available for the 1250 in next month. Way more expensive granted.
Didn’t work for me - too noisy above 50mph, back to screenless for me!

·
Super Moderator
3,229 Posts
A nice looking bike there @kswarts - looks like you've ticked all the options. Good job. The OEM touring screen didn't work for me, not without some modification. That said, very good looking screen tho’. My screen preference is as close to naked without going the Full Monty.

Reactions: kswartz

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi,

finally I went full nude buying the instrument cover (paid, by BMW dealer in Italy, 10 euro included the 2 screws), but the small piece of plastic leave a big hole underneath, and the connector of the instrument seems too exposed to air, dirt, water, etc.

Now, considering that is an original part I imagine it is ok, but I'd like to hear from the people that mounted it if they had any problem.

Thanks
David

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
2,042 Posts
Hi,

finally I went full nude buying the instrument cover (paid, by BMW dealer in Italy, 10 euro included the 2 screws), but the small piece of plastic leave a big hole underneath, and the connector of the instrument seems too exposed to air, dirt, water, etc.

Now, considering that is an original part I imagine it is ok, but I'd like to hear from the people that mounted it if they had any problem.

Thanks
David
I went that way and have not had any problems so far, and much prefer the look of it over any screen.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a 2018 that came from the original owner with the Ztechnik tall screen. I'm 5'6", standard seat and this screen is horrific for me. Like I will be deaf in 200 miles. I cut 2 inches off the top and it is every bit miserable still. Like a a mad monkey using rubber mallets on top of my helmet. I bought a tall Sargent seat to take pressure off my knees and hips a bit, it hasn't arrived yet, but I have no faith it will be any different screen wise. How doe anyone use this brand with success?

Anyone know if the MRA has a vari screen set up for 2018?

Has anyone used a MRA wind deflector with a Ztechnik?

·
Registered
254 Posts
I have a 2018 that came from the original owner with the Ztechnik tall screen. I'm 5'6", standard seat and this screen is horrific for me. Like I will be deaf in 200 miles. I cut 2 inches off the top and it is every bit miserable still. Like a a mad monkey using rubber mallets on top of my helmet. I bought a tall Sargent seat to take pressure off my knees and hips a bit, it hasn't arrived yet, but I have no faith it will be any different screen wise. How doe anyone use this brand with success?

Anyone know if the MRA has a vari screen set up for 2018?

Has anyone used a MRA wind deflector with a Ztechnik?
I tried the tall and mid sized Ztechnik screens on my 2016 R1200R and they were both equally terrible for buffeting etc, I tried deflectors of varied styles and in the end I gave up, I'm now stuck with the hideous things. I've tried selling them on eBay including buy one get one free, with no luck.

I have the OEM sport screen and I prefer that to anything else I've tried.

A mate has a Puig screen on his bike (same bike as mine) and it was no better. I'm 6ft with a standard seat. Good luck in trying to find a screen that works for you, I've found them to be more trouble than they're worth.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The Z-Technik using either the Wunderlich or the MRA sport deflector is still a disaster. The BMW tall touring OEM screen with and without the same deflectors is also terrible.

Has anyone tried the Calsci with the cut out toward the bottom, supposed to relieve pressure or turbulence?
Has anyone tried modifying the OEM windshields with success. I'm thinking of cutting out a small section in the lower portion like I see from Calsci and the 2019 Versys 1000. Does this really work?
Yeah, naked is good but I am going to tour and need some protection, or so I believe.
I also previously posted waiting for the tall Sargent seat. Well it took some pressure off the hips and knees but threw my riding position way off and didn't help with the windshields. It forces my pelvis to rotate forward putting too much painful pressure on my lower lumbar. The Sargent seat on my Yamaha FJ-09 does exactly the same thing. No more Sargent seats for me. I don't know if it's the slick material or what?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I got my 2015 R12R with the standard windscreen (the clear mid sized one), and removed it as soon as I got home because it deflected all the airflow directly to my throat and that was very uncomfortable (I'm 1.80 m tall).
I rode without any screen for some weeks and it was fine but it was quite a pain in the a** to remove all the bugs from the corners and slits of the back of the instrument panel.
I then bought a second hand sport screen (the small black one that comes with the red and white version of the bike) and it became a lot easier to clean the bugs ! I didn't noticed any difference when it comes to the comfort. It's totally OK below 110km/h but it gets very painful for the neck and forehead above 130km/h. Even though its handy, I don't quite like the look of it, so I think I will go back to zero windscreen, It's the better looking solution anyway ! ;-)

·
Registered
281 Posts
Found the perfect solution to wind blast in Rome last week.

Works perfectly, absolutely no buffeting and very quiet.

Attachments

81 - 100 of 123 Posts