BMW R1200R Forum banner

R1200R with and without windscreen

58K views 126 replies 55 participants last post by  R1200RDutchie 
#1 ·
I have the small windscreen in front of the instrument cluster on my 2015 R1200R. I notice that if I stand up when riding the airflow over my head is much smoother than when in the normal sitting position. I think the windscreen is providing a little protection for the torso at the expense of generating some turbulence around my head. I wonder if anyone has compared the airflow around the helmet with and without this screen. I am thinking of taking mine off to try it out, but thought I would see if others had experience with it.

Thanks.

#4 ·
I plan to but at the moment I am tearing the front end apart to change the fork oil, so I thought I would pose the question in the meantime.

#3 ·
I haven't tried a R12R with a wind screen, but my R12R without a screen has no helmet buffeting turbulence at any speed that I ride - other than that caused by some other vehicle. FWIW, I wear a Schuberth C3 Pro helmet, which is pretty aerodynamic.

#5 ·
Definitely quieter without OEM sports or touring screen. Remove the four fasteners and try it for yourself.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: TundraGreen
#6 ·
Absolutely much quieter without the screen. I’ve tried both the sports screen and touring screen; both cause turbulence and much more noise as a result. It’s clean airflow without the screen and the added bonus that the headlight does not reflect onto the screen at night. Go full naked, you won’t regret it:laugh2:

#10 ·
Absolutely much quieter without the screen. I’ve tried both the sports screen and touring screen; both cause turbulence and much more noise as a result. It’s clean airflow without the screen and the added bonus that the headlight does not reflect onto the screen at night. Go full naked, you won’t regret it:laugh2:
Works for me …

Attachments

#7 ·
I've gone from the sports screen to a carbon copy of the Pure screen (deflector more than screen) and at 100km/h it is quieter for me. I do want to try without any screen but I think if I remove the screen mount I need to buy a part to fill the space behind the clocks.

#9 · (Edited)
I do not like small windscreens precisely for the reason you mention - they tend to divert air into the region of the head. I rode 3 bikes in 5 configurations:

- BMW F650CS,
- Honda Hornet 900 with and without the windscreen,
- BMW R1200R with and without the windscreen.

With the windscreen there is less airflow around the body but more airflow around the neck/helmet area. This means noisier ride from the turbulent air around the helmet and less cooling in the summer. The only positive thing is that it's warmer in the winter. But I find I can offset that with another layer underneath the jacket.

Thus, when I ordered the R1200R I had the dealer remove the supplied windshield (which was a part of the dynamic packet that made the other options I wanted cheaper) and am selling it.

Perhaps a full tall windshield, a-la one on the R1200RT or K1600GT might be better and actually make the ride quieter, but it would look silly on the R1200R :)

What's funny is that the wind noise when riding my Vespa Sprint 125 is louder than on the R1200R :)

#11 ·
Perhaps a full tall windshield, a-la one on the R1200RT or K1600GT might be better and actually make the ride quieter, but it would look silly on the R1200R :)
I bought mine with the tiny "touring windscreen". I now have a ZTechnik touring screen which provides a nice, quiet ride. Check out the silly picture!

Attachments

#13 ·
Anyone have a picture of the ‘cover plate’? And or a link /info where to get it?

I just bought a bike that has the RT windscreen on it and it is turbulent and loud to look above it, and then also the view is distorted enough looking through it that it is almost disorienting. Plus looks a bit goofy.

Thanks

#17 ·
I've tried variations of windscreens with same results as mentioned. I started with a Wunderlich #30450112, Sport Screen.

But, for the same reasons mentioned on the forum I've now cut it down for the 3rd time to this small piece which I now only want as a place for my Toll sticker which you can see in the pic is inside the screen. Just did this version today, and I expect it should feel same as no screen at all.

Attachments

#20 ·
I agree with above but having just completed a 2700 mile ride my MRA screen collected enough bugs to render it a black and bloody mess which I assume would have decorated my Aerostich. Unfortunately I just washed the bike otherwise I would post a pic. Additionally there was the occasional big boy bug or small rock thrown up causing a loud whack that made me think i was shot at with a 22CAL. So although I would prefer going screenless I will use one for the tours and suffer the very annoying wind buffeting.

#21 ·
After looking at the price of a replacement cover, I decided it doesn't look bad after just removing the screen and putting the screws back to fill the holes.

Attachments

#22 ·
I bought the tall touring screen and it was definitely noiser than the the little screen that came with my '15 R. If I stretch my neck up a couple inches, things are much quieter. I have been thinking of getting a gel pad, which will raise my head an inch or two and hopefully make things quieter. Going naked puts more wind load on my chest, so I'm looking for other options.

#26 ·
Aha. Now I see it. I thought that was the same piece as the Wind Screen mount, but now I see that it doesn't have the ears on it for the screen.

Reactions: DESERT VIPER
#28 ·
I confirm every your words above.
I rode in the past many bikes and without windscreen everything is much quieter.

Also the r1200gs is noisy with his windscreen.

If you ride until 130 km/h you can ride without any windscreen in a laminar air layer, without noise, apart the turbolence generated from other vehicles .....

Here you can see the difference between a bike with windscreen and a bike without windscreen ....

Sometimes the noise depend from the helmet or from the jacket you are wearing ...

Schubert C3 is much better than C4 ..... my son has C4 and is 30% much noisier than C3 for example...

#33 ·
On my KTM I have a relatively high tank bag that noticable removes wind pushing ond my upper body. But it doesn't produce any turbulence around my helmet.

When I bought my R1250R I specified to the dealer that the windscreen should not be mounted. So if anyone wants to buy a brand new screen I'm open to bids 😁

#34 ·
Having read this thread I removed my windscreen (as someone said earlier it took less time than writing this post) and have just been for a short ride with varying speeds. MUCH quieter that with the screen on......I am converted 😄. Tomorrow I am out riding all day and will get a proper test but I am thinking fully naked is the new me...oooeeerrr!

#38 ·
I must say that I do very much like the clean unadorned lines and detail of this particular bike in its plain black-'n'-white scheme, with removal of the over-large 'R'. Sometimes - if not often - less is more. Jus' sayin'. :nerd:

Reactions: DESERT VIPER
#44 ·
I just picked the first one I found on ebay, I think I paid about $100USD for mine.

The only plastic one I've seen is the original from BMW and I think it is more expensive than the carbon aftermarket, unless you can find a pre-loved one.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.