BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I received the keys, shown below, with my RS.
I’m hoping you may help on a few points.
  • The grey plastic key is my emergency key I think, and it is placed between the main and pax seat when needed. Correct please?
  • where do owners keep the grey key? Can it be hidden on the bike anywhere?
  • What is the small black key for?
  • Can I have a ‘dumb’ key cut on a blank for use on luggage. Is the locksmith able to copy the main electro key? It looks quite short.
I assume I would need to buy a key ‘blank’.
Thank you for your help, Selby

Wood Hand tool Tool Household hardware Material property

· Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R1250GS HP Rallye & 2019 R nineT SCR
146 Posts
Just order the "dumb" key from your local BMW dealer, as it is VIN specific. And assures that it will work correctly with your key cores.
Personally, I would never hide a key on my bike, since the grey key makes the bike fully functional. Only on a long/multi-day trip do I bring it with and just keep it foiled or faraday'd and somewhere not in a locked spot in my luggage or on my person. I do recommend that you keep a spare CR2032 battery on your bike/with registration if you ever have issues withe fob.

· Registered
2022 R1250RS his and hers
848 Posts
Your dealer can order a non chipped for around $35. I did this because I was afraid to use the fob key on the stiff seat lock.
Both of us keep our fob tethered in our pocket and use the non chipped metal key for the seat, bags and GPS.
The parts people told me they used to use the black plastic thing to order extra keys but now the always go by the VIN.
BMW USA now requires shops to see prof of ownership and ID to order keys.

Guitar accessory Automotive lighting Line Material property Musical instrument accessory

To use the emergency key push the fat end of the key between the seats.
This puts the chip in the key very close to the antenna.
Try it to make sure it works.
Automotive design Rim Tints and shades Personal luxury car Auto part

You can't hide a extra fob on the bike but you can hide the plastic key as long as you don't place it under the rear seat on top of the antenna.
Just to be sure, if you hide the plastic key press the black start button to make sure the dash does not light up.
Since the emergency key does not have a battery to extend the chips range and location more than a few inches away from the antenna should work.

· Registered
2022 R1250RS his and hers
848 Posts
I made a short tether for the fob to make sure I don't lose it on a trip.
There's no reason for it to leave my pocket.
Outerwear Product Sleeve Grey Bag

· Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
You can store the grey emergency key on the bike, panniers or hide it where you think safe. However, I keep mine in my small Kriega hydration backpack that I wear on every ride. My thinking is if I lose my bike key/FOB while on my ride and the emergency is stored/locked in panniers or under the seat, I'm screwed. Also, that emergency kit is fragile IMHO best kept away from long-term bike vibration. I don't know about outside OZ, but the only place to get a bike key cut is from BMW and that would come from the factory ordered using the VIN although there might be a locksmith to cut BMW Keys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: rxc and Selby

· Super Moderator
3,401 Posts

· Registered
315 Posts
My emergency fob simulator is securely taped to the inside of the left side shock cover. Toolless access, inspected at each major clean and detail.

Had to use it once. In the future I'll bring a spare battery on any road trip.

Reactions: Selby

· Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
I always replace the FOB battery as part of an annual maintenance schedule. I have a spare CR2023 in the bike's tool kit.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
I’ve not thought of getting a “dumb” key for the seat, but I keep the emergency key in my tool bag which is always in my top case. So long as it’s not within a few inches of the antenna, it won’t let someone start the bike via proximity.

· Super Moderator
3,401 Posts
I guess convenient if a FOB battery runs flat/fails for whatever reason pop a new one in and continue the ride - easy peasy. The battery size of a small coin costs next to nothing. Although, CR2023 is very common so no biggie either way.

Reactions: Panzermann

· Premium Member
787 Posts
I asked my BMW parts guy to order a dumb metal key and he said they couldn’t.
Your dealer can order a non chipped for around $35. I did this because I was afraid to use the fob key on the stiff seat lock.
Both of us keep our fob tethered in our pocket and use the non chipped metal key for the seat, bags and GPS.
The parts people told me they used to use the black plastic thing to order extra keys but now the always go by the VIN.
BMW USA now requires shops to see prof of ownership and ID to order keys.

View attachment 118262

To use the emergency key push the fat end of the key between the seats.
This puts the chip in the key very close to the antenna.
Try it to make sure it works.
View attachment 118263

You can't hide a extra fob on the bike but you can hide the plastic key as long as you don't place it under the rear seat on top of the antenna.
Just to be sure, if you hide the plastic key press the black start button to make sure the dash does not light up.
Since the emergency key does not have a battery to extend the chips range and location more than a few inches away from the antenna should work.
My dealer said they couldn’t order a dumb metal key. Which dealer did you get one from?

· Premium Member
787 Posts
Sorry, still makes no sense to me. If something works without a battery, why carry a spare battery? I can understand carrying the backup key in case you lose or break the main fob, but a spare battery still makes no sense.
If the fob battery dies, it won’t start the bike. It will open your BMW luggage and unlock the seat. I keep a spare grey plastic key and battery under the rider seat.

· Mark – Super Moderator
2015 R1200R Exclusive
8,110 Posts
I asked my BMW parts guy to order a dumb metal key and he said they couldn’t.

My dealer said they couldn’t order a dumb metal key. Which dealer did you get one from?
Blanks are all over eBay and Ali Express. Take it and your original to a locksmith and they’ll sort it (could potentially even have blanks, but less likely).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts