BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, Hoping I can get a bit of help from the fine people on this forum (newbie)
I have a 2015 R1200rs, went to start it up after a week or two, screen came alive, but a small click from somewhere under the seat when I pressed the starter, then nothing.
Now, when I try to start it, console come alive after 5 seconds or so, when I press the starter no injectors priming sound, red triangle fast flashing, engine error sign, key sign and temp icon up and the info dash not looking as it normally does.
battery is fine, though I did buy a new one and tried that, but no better.

Bike barely has 10k on it.
Very depressing.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Checked fuses?

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Battery charging system failure? e.g. Alternator failure or blown regulator fuse? I think you have to remove the 50A regulator fuse, which is held down with 2 bolts inside its carrier, from the bike in order to check it. It's possible to blow it if you tried jump-starting the bike.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RS 2002 R1150RT (retired)
15 Posts
Sounds like it could be a hall sensor. Had something very similar a few years back.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi sturgeon, have checked fuse, and wouldn't want to risk jumpstarting the bike.
Maverickdk, did you have similar prob with your rs?
IMy Bike is very low miles and underused.

·
Registered
2016 R1200RS 2002 R1150RT (retired)
15 Posts
I had this problem on my GS (years ago). At the time the bike had around 15k on it. Screen would come on, would have a click or two (under the seat) but no fuel pump and nothing to starter.
Any chance you have access to a GS 911 tool to run a quick diagnostic?

·
Super Moderator
5,538 Posts
...red triangle fast flashing, engine error sign, key sign and temp icon up and the info dash not looking as it normally does
With this sort if thing happening, the only sensible thing to do is interrogate the system with a GS911 or OBD adapter and Motoscan, as suggested above. Otherwise we’re just guessing.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks fellas, and true enough Panzermann, will invest in Motoscan.
Should have included pic of dash to begin with.

·
Registered
630 Posts
The two lights on the right don’t matter. I notice it’s indicating that the key is not in range. Have you tried placing the fob or backup key up against the receiver antenna and starting?

·
Registered
2017 R1200r LC sport.
1,588 Posts
Looks like it uses a proper key in the ignition so I would say that the chip is not being read by the bike, try the spare key in it.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
There was a time when the ring antenna that interacted with the chip in the key on BMW motorcycles would fail. I haven't heard of this recently, but it's worth checking. Or try another key in case the chip in the key has failed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts