BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I remove the pillion seat, right behind the rear edge of the rider's seat is a straight steel bar (approx. 6mm dia x 160 long - from memory), mounted transversally. Is this a tool of some sort? I would really like to know.

Incidentally, my steel rod is quite rusty at one end. I can see where road spray from the rear wheel would enter the area, so rust is no surprise. I wll correct that when I fit my BMW rear mudguard.

Thank you, Selby

· Registered
2022 R1250RS his and hers
848 Posts
Not sure what you're seeing.
Here's what it looks like under my seat. The wires are for aftermarket Clearwater lights.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Automotive tire Automotive exterior

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design Personal luxury car Bumper

Reactions: mikeS

· Registered
2022 BMW R1250R
10 Posts
If I remove the pillion seat, right behind the rear edge of the rider's seat is a straight steel bar (approx. 6mm dia x 160 long - from memory), mounted transversally. Is this a tool of some sort? I would really like to know.

Incidentally, my steel rod is quite rusty at one end. I can see where road spray from the rear wheel would enter the area, so rust is no surprise. I wll correct that when I fit my BMW rear mudguard.

Thank you, Selby
The steel bar you are seeing is part of the frame of the bike.

Bill

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
When I first removed the rear seat on my RS I noticed a silver steel rod (6mm x 215mm) sitting across the rear of the riders seat. I removed the rod which was rusty at one end.

‘That looks familiar I thought’. My Honda ST has one that looks similar but stowed for and aft. It is used when raising the fuel tank.

I looked in my Rider’s Manual (p14) and saw the silver rod, I thought, when in fact it is just the light in the p14 photograph looking like the rod.

So no OEM rod and I will leave out my silver rod.

What use could it have had I wonder, but it is not an OEM tool

Wood Plant Natural material Grass Flooring

Thank you Lee and Bill.

· Registered
2022 R1250RS his and hers
848 Posts
I can't come up with a good guess on what the previous owner used it for.

· Registered
2,478 Posts
It looks like the kind of thing that could be used through the hole in the side of a screwdriver handle, as a kind of T-handle for extra leverage. Kind of how you can use the removable OEM screwdriver blade when using its handle to open the cap on the oil filler with old arthritic fingers. Which, oddly enough, has a 6mm diameter. The handle has a 6mm diameter hole, but it narrows on one side, so that the blade can't be pushed all the way through. Maybe the rusty end was ground down a bit so that it could be pushed a bit farther through. Normally you would insert the Torx end of the blade to get that extra bit of length inserted.

Wood Tool Gas Musical instrument Metal

Or else the previous owner had it puncture a tire and kept it as a souvenir?

· Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It looks like the kind of thing that could be used through the hole in the side of a screwdriver handle, as a kind of T-handle for extra leverage. Kind of how you can use the removable OEM screwdriver blade when using its handle to open the cap on the oil filler with old arthritic fingers. Which, oddly enough, has a 6mm diameter. The handle has a 6mm diameter hole, but it narrows on one side, so that the blade can't be pushed all the way through. Maybe the rusty end was ground down a bit so that it could be pushed a bit farther through. Normally you would insert the Torx end of the blade to get that extra bit of length inserted.

View attachment 118470

Or else the previous owner had it puncture a tire and kept it as a souvenir?
Thank you sturgeon, that’s a great suggestion re extra leverage. I don’t think I will need the mystery rod, as my paws are still plenty strong.
Selby

1 - 15 of 15 Posts