BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone. This morning I had a small accident while riding my 2022 R 1250 R which caused it to fall and slide on its right side. Fortunately I did not suffer any injuries and the bike seems pretty OK. I noted a few scratches to the right side mirror stem, damage to the front brake fluid reservoir cover, minor scratches on the muffler, etc. mostly cosmetic with the exception of 2 things. The plastic ignition coil cover was completely broken off and I believe the coil is damaged because the bike, once started, idles rough/unevenly, sounds like it's going to stall almost like it may be running on 1 cylinder. I was able to ride it home (about 4 miles) without too much trouble but there's definitely something wrong with the way it's idling. The other item is what I can only describe as a broken steering "bump." it's a small metal piece that prevents the handlebars from turning all the way to the left. My questions are, is this broken metal "bump" be something I should be worried about? and second, I am having a heck of a time trying to pull the ignition coil out of the cylinder head. I've searched online and everyone seems to have little trouble removing it, even without the special tool. Should I just suck it up and tow it to the dealer to replace it or is there a trick anyone could share to get this off? Some pictures are attached to better show what I mean. Thank you all for any advice you can provide!

Automotive tire Automotive lighting Automotive design Bicycle part Motor vehicle
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Automotive design Motor vehicle Automotive exhaust
Gesture Asphalt Road surface Tints and shades Space
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Vehicle Automotive design Fuel tank
Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive design Fuel tank
Finger Electronic device Automotive lighting Wrist Gadget

· Registered
2012 R1200R
186 Posts
It looks like your steering stop on the lower triple tree has broken off, typical for accidents. I'd say it's very important to fix that as the handlebar may now swing into the gas tank causing more damage. It's aluminum, not sure if welding is an option, may need a new triple tree.

Do you have the tool to pull the coil? It's not clear in your post.

You can look up costs of parts here, best to be sitting down. They also ship for free.

· Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
You could check the exhaust header temperature from cold to confirm that the RH cylinder is not firing properly. I’d then swap the coils left to right and do the same check to confirm it’s the coil rather than the wiring to the plug that has been damaged.

There is a tool in the catalogue for pulling the coils, but with care you can use multigrips, if you are game (no responsibility accepted …). Rotate the coil back and forth a tad while pulling. Use a smear of dielectric grease when refitting - on the spark plug tip, the ring that grips the insulator, and the outer shaft of the coil where it grips the head cover. This will make subsequent removal easier.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It looks like your steering stop on the lower triple tree has broken off, typical for accidents. I'd say it's very important to fix that as the handlebar may now swing into the gas tank causing more damage. It's aluminum, not sure if welding is an option, may need a new triple tree.

Do you have the tool to pull the coil? It's not clear in your post.

You can look up costs of parts here, best to be sitting down. They also ship for free.

Hi v-rider, thank you for the heads up about the triple tree, I'm not too worried about the stop but will definitely take care of it after I deal with the running issue. I don't have the extractor tool for the ignition coil, but I will try warming up the cylinder head cover a little with a heat gun and see if it expands just enough to make the ignition coil a bit easier to remove. I'm pretty sure this is what's damaged as that cylinder doesn't get warm when the bike is running like the other side. I looked at the catalog and you're right, some of those prices are a bit... excessive :rolleyes:. I slightly damaged the TFT screen (still works perfectly, albeit a little dinged) and that alone is over 2K... ouch!
I think I'll order the parts from my local dealer (bob's BMW) and pick them up next week and take a stab at the coil. Thanks again for the advice!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You could check the exhaust header temperature from cold to confirm that the RH cylinder is not firing properly. I’d then swap the coils left to right and do the same check to confirm it’s the coil rather than the wiring to the plug that has been damaged.

There is a tool in the catalogue for pulling the coils, but with care you can use multigrips, if you are game (no responsibility accepted …). Rotate the coil back and forth a tad while pulling. Use a smear of dielectric grease when refitting - on the spark plug tip, the ring that grips the insulator, and the outer shaft of the coil where it grips the head cover. This will make subsequent removal easier.
Hi Panzermann! I took your advice and idled the bike for about 5 minutes and the undamaged side warmed up nicely while the damaged one stayed cold. Since the plug looks ok and clicks in securely, I'm going to bet the problem is the ignition coil. I will try warming up the head with a heat gun so the coil can hopefully ease out without the tool. If this doesn't work, I'll probably order it along with the parts from my dealer (Bob's BMW). I'll make sure to use the dielectric grease when re-installing, hopefully I won't have to do this kind of repair again... until a spark plug change is due. Thanks for the advice!

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Did you try twisting it a bit to break the grip?
Hi Panzerman, yes, I tried but it's really in there. I received the removal tool I ordered (pretty cheap) but the plastic tabs were damaged on the coil so it just slips out. I should be receiving the replacement coil in the next couple of days so I think I may just try some grips or channel locks to forcefully pull it out. If after this I'm still having issues, I'm definitely taking it to the dealer... what a pain.

· Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If this were my bike I would drop it off at the dealer and have my insurance take care of the damage. That would be assuming that there is full coverage of course. Good luck with it. Glad you weren't hurt.
Hi 07R12R, my insurance won't cover the repair which is why I want to try this relatively inexpensive repair first. If after replacing the coil I am still having engine issues, I'll have it towed to the dealer. The part should be arriving in a day or 2 so I will know for sure soon!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts