BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the current R1250R have Active Cruise Control?

If so, from which years onwards was this added?

·
Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
6,898 Posts
Nope

Reactions: Anthonyp0808

·
Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
443 Posts
No, but it has just about everything else.😎

·
Registered
Nick - 2016 R1200R
38 Posts
Any other bike has active cruise control? That would mean a bike that brakes for you…

·
Registered
443 Posts
Any other bike has active cruise control? That would mean a bike that brakes for you…
Several bikes now offer radar-assisted adaptive cruise control – the Multistrada V4 S, the R1250RT, and I believe the KTM Super Adv. S. There may be a couple others I’m forgetting.

·
Registered
479 Posts
I wouldn't want that crap on my bike, but that's just me. I rarely use C/C, but glad it's there when I need to shake the vibes between curves. Or do something with my right hand while cruising. I wouldn't want a bike without cruise anymore, but I probably use it less than a minute total in a day-long ride. I'd never use adaptive cruise. I rarely use it in my 4-wheeled vehicles, and what I absolutely HATE about that feature that I never use, is that it comes by default with the stupid 'emergency braking' turned on, so I have to turn that crap off every single time I remember. It almost caused me to have an accident the other day, when I was forced to pass a stupid trucker (throwing all kinds of crap on my new vehicle) on the right, when he just refused to move over for miles. To avoid freaking him out, I gave him plenty of space, meaning getting close to the truck in front, before cutting in. And that's when my car, all of a sudden, slammed on the brakes momentarily. That freaked the hell out of my wife, and it caught me off guard myself too, since I wasn't that close, and I expected a warning first. I got both actions at the same time. And yes, I forgot to turn it off after fueling up that time. Hopefully the bike just has C/C, without that other 'assistance' crap.

·
Registered
R1250R
776 Posts
Often when I use cruise control, which I really like and use quite a bit, I think, I wish it could detect the vehicle in front and ease the throttle to save me knocking off the cruise control. Yup it would be cool to have adaptive cruise control – I’d love it.

On the other hand whilst I paid over 400 quid for the pleasure of having it on the R1250R (it really should be standard equipment like many other bikes), I certainly wouldn’t pay another 400 quid on top to make it adaptive.

·
6,898 Posts
That would mean a bike that brakes for you…
Not necessarily, but it could. As a minimum, it eases the throttle back to maintain the required separation to the vehicle ahead.

I'd see some inherent risks with implementing automated braking on a bike, especially if they're applied suddenly and strongly, notwithstanding ABS.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Not necessarily, but it could. As a minimum, it eases the throttle back to maintain the required separation to the vehicle ahead.

I'd see some inherent risks with implementing automated braking on a bike, especially if they're applied suddenly and strongly, notwithstanding ABS.
I recently watched a YouTube video -- I think it was Chase on Two Wheels on a Ducati Multistrada -- and it had the adaptive cruise that he was keen to try out on the highway. It appeared to perform exactly as you describe, Panzermann, with an easing of the throttle that felt/looked seamless and progressive and without any type of jerk or pause that would indicate braking.

EDIT: Found it, the testing of the adaptive cruise control starts at 17:40:

·
Registered
R1250R
776 Posts
No, active cruise control has radar. So it detects the vechicle in front and eases off the throttle.

·
Registered
201 Posts
While I didn't opt for the active cruise control on my 2021 RT, the standard cruise control will brake to maintain speed downhill. I have never noticed it happening though - there is so much engine braking it seems an unnecessary addition.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I doubt ACC doesn't control brakes. What if you're following a vehicle at the closest possible follow distance setting and that vehicle suddenly decelerates at a rate high enough that a bike that is just coasting can't keep up with?

·
Registered
R1250 RT
55 Posts
ACC does apply the brakes, but for this you can also choose for dynamic or comfort. Also the distance to the vehicle in front of you can be set. It was on my RT when I bought it, and I really like it!
Now I’m also using cruise control when there’s much other traffic (and unfortunately that is almost all the time in The Netherlands….)

·
Registered
479 Posts
All adaptive C/C systems have to adjust speed by default. And that means braking by some means. I'd only use such a system (if I was into that, which I'm not) that has no actual use of the brakes, but only engine braking via throttle control (which is plentiful on most bikes). Also keep in mind that such system is only recommended on STRAIGHT roads, so always keep that in mind. If you're approaching a slow-moving vehicle in a curve, the radar is not going to detect it until you're on top of it. And if the system includes the dreaded 'automated emergency braking', better be hanging on.

My bottom line on adaptive cruise control on a bike, is if you're riding so close to a vehicle at highway speeds that you expect the bike to reduce speed for you, you're simply riding in an unsafe manner IMO. You never know what can happen. The few seconds I use cruise during rides, mostly to shake vibes, or adjust right cheek pad because my ear is hurting, or something similar, I do it while wide open... and still, it's a risk, since an animal could materialize in front of me. But that's why I like a factory system (vs a throttle lock), since it cuts off immediately upon brake application, not lenghtening the braking distance if your throttle lock is not completely closed before braking. I'd never use it as a cruise on a 'cage' (I hardly ever do that as well), but that's just me.

·
6,898 Posts
Here are some cautions regarding Audi’s adaptive cruise. I expect other systems would be similar. Interesting caution about motorcycle ‘visibility’.

Font Material property Paper Parallel Document

·
Registered
R1250 RT
55 Posts
It’s just like with other support-systems you always have to keep in control yourself. It does not replace the rider, but it is just convenient in many situations. In other situations it is better not to use it.
think of it like the shift-assist, if you don’t know how and when to use it, it’s better not to use it at all.
I would never had bought ACC myself, but once I got used to it, I like it very much👍😁

1 - 18 of 18 Posts