BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am on the way to personalizing my1250R, making it "just right" for me.
So far this is what I have done.
Suburban Machinery Lowered foot pegs

Custom high seat, about 2 1/2 inches taller, for my aching knees and hips.

Removed the GPS mount and placed a QuadLock handlebar phone mount with USB charger module and short right angle Lightning cable.

Grip Buddies, huge improvement over the thin stock grips if you have big hands.

Nelson Rigg Commuter Light Tail Bag, fits perfectly on the pillion seat, holds all I need for day trips.

I have given up trying to find LED replacement bulbs for the time being and instead ordered Clearwater Ericas to go on the factory fog light mounts. They are coming with orange slip on covers which I saw in action on a GS following me on the highway. These give an amazing amount of conspicuity and that is what I am looking for. At night, w/o the orange covers, these lights turn night into day. They have full wonder wheel functionality. I am also fitting the Billie Jr. LED aux taillight. These Clearwaters are hugely expensive but I have used them on my other bikes and I feel are worth it from a safety and functional standpoint. YMMV

I should mention that the first thing I did was adjust the brake and gear shift levers for my foot position. This made a critical difference in operating comfort.
I also rotated the mirror supports forward to give me a parallel wrist position,eliminating some carpal tunnel symptoms and I adjusted the mirror stalks out as far as they would go to give me a better view of what's behind me instead of showing me my shoulders.

IMG_0363.jpg
IMG_0365.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I am on the way to personalizing my1250R, making it "just right" for me.
So far this is what I have done.
Suburban Machinery Lowered foot pegs

Custom high seat, about 2 1/2 inches taller, for my aching knees and hips.

Removed the GPS mount and placed a QuadLock handlebar phone mount with USB charger module and short right angle Lightning cable.

Grip Buddies, huge improvement over the thin stock grips if you have big hands.

Nelson Rigg Commuter Light Tail Bag, fits perfectly on the pillion seat, holds all I need for day trips.

I have given up trying to find LED replacement bulbs for the time being and instead ordered Clearwater Ericas to go on the factory fog light mounts. They are coming with orange slip on covers which I saw in action on a GS following me on the highway. These give an amazing amount of conspicuity and that is what I am looking for. At night, w/o the orange covers, these lights turn night into day. They have full wonder wheel functionality. I am also fitting the Billie Jr. LED aux taillight. These Clearwaters are hugely expensive but I have used them on my other bikes and I feel are worth it from a safety and functional standpoint. YMMV

I should mention that the first thing I did was adjust the brake and gear shift levers for my foot position. This made a critical difference in operating comfort.
I also rotated the mirror supports forward to give me a parallel wrist position,eliminating some carpal tunnel symptoms and I adjusted the mirror stalks out as far as they would go to give me a better view of what's behind me instead of showing me my shoulders.
View attachment 107611

View attachment 107607 View attachment 107608
View attachment 107610
I’m considering the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit. I read some questionable reviews about interference with the kick stand and center stand. Were you able to lower the shifter enough to maintain the original orientation and quick shift operation? Don’t the pegs stick out another 1/2”? Does this require more “toe in” for shifting and braking?

Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is NO interference at all with either the kick stand or center stand.Yes I could lower shifter enough got my size 13 boots so it’s perfect. I lowered my rear brake pedal as that’s where I like it. I don’t notice any toe in for operation. It’s all much better height wise though.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
There is NO interference at all with either the kick stand or center stand.Yes I could lower shifter enough got my size 13 boots so it’s perfect. I lowered my rear brake pedal as that’s where I like it. I don’t notice any toe in for operation. It’s all much better height wise though.
Doesn’t the entire brake assembly including the foot peg move down 1.25”?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am very happy with mine. BTW, they are great folks to do business with. I also heard that there might be some interference with the center stand and they allowed me to return the set if that was the case. Thankfully it fit perfectly.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I am very happy with mine. BTW, they are great folks to do business with. I also heard that there might be some interference with the center stand and they allowed me to return the set if that was the case. Thankfully it fit perfectly.
Great. My hips need a break.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Did lowering the gear shift lever have any effect on the quick shifter, if you have it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I do have the quick shifter and it works really well. I adjusted both levers for my boot thickness. I like to have the brake pedal positioned below the sole of my boot so I don’t have to lift my toe up and over the pedal to brake. It’s the opposite for my shift lever. I like to ride with my toe just under the lever so when I want to upshift, I just tap the lever up. I have to twist and lift my toe up and on top of the lever to downshift. The levers are adjusted so I am not constantly pressing on either one when just cruising along. I adjust the levers and then take a ride to see if I have it correctly positioned. If you have different thickness boots, it’s a balancing act.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
I do have the quick shifter and it works really well. I adjusted both levers for my boot thickness. I like to have the brake pedal positioned below the sole of my boot so I don’t have to lift my toe up and over the pedal to brake. It’s the opposite for my shift lever. I like to ride with my toe just under the lever so when I want to upshift, I just tap the lever up. I have to twist and lift my toe up and on top of the lever to downshift. The levers are adjusted so I am not constantly pressing on either one when just cruising along. I adjust the levers and then take a ride to see if I have it correctly positioned. If you have different thickness boots, it’s a balancing act.
I asked Suburban about the quickshifter but didn’t understand the response. When you adjust the turnbuckle to change the shift lever position, does it have an effect on the quickshifter?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
No, it doesn't affect it in any way. It is made to be adjustable. Lowering the foot peg doesn't necessarily mean you have to adjust the shift lever either, you might not.
It depends on your personal preferences as to how high or low you like your shift lever.
How else can I help? You are welcome to call me if you like, just pm me and I'll send you my phone #.

PS I just pm'd you with my contact info instead.

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
No, it doesn't affect it in any way. It is made to be adjustable. Lowering the foot peg doesn't necessarily mean you have to adjust the shift lever either, you might not.
It depends on your personal preferences as to how high or low you like your shift lever.
How else can I help? You are welcome to call me if you like, just pm me and I'll send you my phone #.

PS I just pm'd you with my contact info instead.
You’ve answered every question I can think of so far. Impending jobs like this seem more daunting than once I actually do it. Like taking off the side covers. I should be getting the kit tomorrow, then I’ll see how it goes. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Installed the Suburban Machinery peg lowering kit. Very elegant, simple design, gets me 1 1/4” less crunched up. No issues with the kickstand or centerstand on the 1250.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
OK, almost done.
I just received and installed the Dynamic Motoraad LED turn signal replacement bulbs and the Machineart Moto Mudsling. The bulbs are super bright and simple to put in.
I like the Mudsling as It doesn't really affect the look of the rear tire but will keep the whole rear shock/ESA area much cleaner and it will be easier to keep the bike clean as well.
I ordered some wheel stripes from Malaysia and the Russel Day Long saddle, after that I hope to be done.
Maybe handlebar risers are in the picture, I will evaluate after getting the Russel.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts