BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
After owning a '16 GS with an excellent full LED headlight I was pretty sure I would trying to improve the lighting on my new bike.
In the past, I had replaced the halogen headlight bulb on a cam-head GS with a LED bulb from Cyclops. It was much much brighter and better.
I just tried to do the same with the 1250R and had no success.

Darryl at Cyclops had told me it would be a plug and play replacement for the low beam only.
It wasn't possible.

It was easy to remove the small decorative cover with the "R" on it and then the headlight, each held on by two easily accessible screws.
The stock bulb is held on by a metal u-shaped bracket that pushes on the wide flange around the base of the bulb.
The two male connectors stick up through the bracket so the electrical connector can plug in.
The LED bulb has a large fan at the back of the bulb and the bracket would never fit over it so Cyclops made the locating flange removable so you can attach that to the headlight assembly. You then attach the bulb to the flange.

Unfortunately, the metal bracket I have on my bike still doesn't fit over the Cyclops flange, so no go.
Cyclops say they have used their LED bulb for many customers with R1200Rs and have replaced many bulbs at the MOA rallies.

When I go to realoem.com it seems as though the part number for the R1200R and R1250R are the same.

I sent pics of my connectors to Cyclops and they said they are different from what they have seen.
Can anybody confirm that this attachment set up different?

In the meantime I put in VisionX halogen H7 replacement bulbs with a similar color palette to LED. At least the headlight color is more similar to the stock LED "X" that is supposed to be the DRL instead of yellow!

Below, the stock bulbs attached.

Below, the bulb flange and the removable Cyclops flange

·
Registered
193 Posts
The physical dimensions of the housing limits the options For the R1200R / R1250R

We have all been waiting for a solution, I do understand that someone is close to releasing a solution but have not seen anything yet.

Thanks for the Vision X suggestion.

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
I’ve also experimented with an LED bulb for low beam, Todd - to do so, I used heat to mould a recess into the interior of the rear cover plate.

I wasn’t happy with the resulting beam so went back to halogen +50 bulbs.

The high beam bulb space is even less, so is less likely to ever get an LED solution.

Note that on the 1200-LC it isn't necessary to remove the headshell to access the bulbs. After removing the surround trim and RH mounting bolt, loosen the hinge bolt on the LHS and the headlight shell will swing out, avoiding the need to re-adjust the alignment on reassembly. I’d be surprised if the 1250 is different in this respect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I came across these
Never tried them so I carnt comment but might be worth considering ?

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
I came across these
Call me a skeptic, but if the photos are accurate, there’s no way they’ll fit in the headlight shell with the rear cover in place.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I came across these
I will contact them by email to see if they really have success with the mounting flange ring and the BMW bracket that holds the LED flange.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Call me a skeptic, but if the photos are accurate, there’s no way they’ll fit in the headlight shell with the rear cover in place.
Can anybody confirm that I have the same bulb holding attachment apparatus in the 2020 R1250R as the R1200R, by looking at my pics?

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
Can anybody confirm that I have the same bulb holding attachment apparatus in the 2020 R1250R as the R1200R, by looking at my pics?
Yep - for H7 bulbs

(Edit - corrected to H7 - senior moment)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I will contact them by email to see if they really have success with the mounting flange ring and the BMW bracket that holds the LED flange.
I received an email this morning from LEDPerf
“ For your motorcycle and the two H7 bulbs included in our pack at this address, we include the bulb holders adapted to our led bulbs that you will need. Don't worry, it will be perfectly compatible;“
They ship to the US. I will try to confirm shipping costs and the total USD cost. It sounds promising, but maybe too good to be true.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I received an email this morning from LEDPerf
“ For your motorcycle and the two H7 bulbs included in our pack at this address, we include the bulb holders adapted to our led bulbs that you will need. Don't worry, it will be perfectly compatible;“
They ship to the US. I will try to confirm shipping costs and the total USD cost. It sounds promising, but maybe too good to be true.
I placed my order!

·
Super Moderator
5,382 Posts
I’ll certainly be very interested to see the outcome, Todd.

Reactions: Ontrip

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I don’t know for sure but I think BMW had planned on an LED headlight like the one on the F900R but just didn’t do it for some reason. My 2020 owner’s manual has no bulb replacement instructions, instead saying the LED headlight is replaced as a unit.
Maybe the F900R headlight could be a plug and play upgrade. It would probably cost $1000. Our speculation on my part.

·
Registered
193 Posts
There may be hope as I understand that Dynamic Motorrad is working on something to fit the R1200/1250R headlamp.

They are the folks that offer the Canbus compatible LED turn signal replacement bulbs.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts