BMW R1200R Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
Beatrice - 2020 BMW R1250R Exclusive in Pollux Metallic Matte
149 Posts
I just replaced both H7 halogen's with this pair from Amazon: Amazon.com: LASFIT Wireless H7 LED Bulbs 6000k White Mini Size All-in-One Conversion Kit, Fanless Replacement Bulb, Pack of 2 : Automotive I had to bend the tiny tabs on the OEM retainer clip so the LED bulbs would fit flush with the clip. Nice bright, white light. Only drawback is it will throw a code because of the lower resistance. I might put in some 50W 6 ohm resistors: https://www.amazon.com/iBrightstar-50W-6ohm-Load-Resistors/dp/B07HF47RV9/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3EQTSA55JJBIB&dchild=1&keywords=50w+6ohm+load+resistor&qid=1629233314&s=automotive&sprefix=50w,automotive,173&sr=1-4 at some point.
If you ever get to adding a resistor, please document (photos) and share your experience. Thanks!

Reactions: Brother J

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just replaced both H7 halogen's with this pair from Amazon: Amazon.com: LASFIT Wireless H7 LED Bulbs 6000k White Mini Size All-in-One Conversion Kit, Fanless Replacement Bulb, Pack of 2 : Automotive I had to bend the tiny tabs on the OEM retainer clip so the LED bulbs would fit flush with the clip. Nice bright, white light. Only drawback is it will throw a code because of the lower resistance. I might put in some 50W 6 ohm resistors: https://www.amazon.com/iBrightstar-50W-6ohm-Load-Resistors/dp/B07HF47RV9/ref=sr_1_4?crid=3EQTSA55JJBIB&dchild=1&keywords=50w+6ohm+load+resistor&qid=1629233314&s=automotive&sprefix=50w,automotive,173&sr=1-4 at some point.
Ledprrf sent me a resistor unit but it delay the error message which appeared after 15 minutes and then intermittently every 3 minutes. LEDs returned for agreed credit - going back to halogens - Philips

·
Registered
14 Posts
Ledprrf sent me a resistor unit but it delay the error message which appeared after 15 minutes and then intermittently every 3 minutes. LEDs returned for agreed credit - going back to halogens - Philips
CANBUS is a harsh mistress, it seems. I want to take some critical measurements of wattage/ohm's and see if I can dial in the needed load to put her at ease.

·
Registered
213 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Those look super goofy, no? How about these Philips ones? https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Crys...ra+H7+pair&qid=1633667933&s=automotive&sr=1-4

And what is the verdict on installation? Does the headlamp have to be adjusted? Hope not. I'd like the light to at least resemble the color of the surrounding LEDs. Thanks.
i have the Diamond Vision version of these, and they are the same color temperature as the surrounding LED’s.

PHILIPS - Diamond Vision H7 Halogen HID Bulbs (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JZKBV...abc_3NSHDCP6B1X7QADK7QHJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

As far as I can tell, the light pattern is the same, and they are slightly brighter. Somebody on R1250R Facebook group installed these bulbs after my recommendation, and stated it was brighter as well.

The most benefit is from color temperature: it is more of a cooler white light than the regular warm light emitted by standard halogen bulbs.
when you replace the bulbs, you have no choice but remove the headlight altogether, and have to readjust the vertical alignment once installed back on. Not a big deal for me: just pick a spot on the wall and mark the light cutoff line, or make a mark with something easily erasable/masking tape along the headlight mounts before you unbolt and disassemble the housing.

Reactions: equ and r0ckrat

·
Registered
213 Posts
I have the Diamond Vision version of these, and they are the same color temperature as the surrounding LED’s.

PHILIPS - Diamond Vision H7 Halogen HID Bulbs (Pair) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007JZKBV...abc_3NSHDCP6B1X7QADK7QHJ?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
Perfect. Thank you very much. They're a little bluer than the ones I posted, but they will look good on the HP, since it has blue too. And I hardly ever ride at night, so I don't really care about output; just don't want them to look that ugly yellow. Ha ha. And yes, no big deal having to realign the headlight. In fact, since they're always too low for solo riders, this will serve as an excuse to go and adjust it properly on a dark street with a tall wall on both sides, for optimum alignment. But in the mean time, will do what you did (marking the housing). Will check how it's bolted to the bike later on, and order those bulbs now. Thanks again, brother :).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Those look super goofy, no? How about these Philips ones? https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Crys...ra+H7+pair&qid=1633667933&s=automotive&sr=1-4

And what is the verdict on installation? Does the headlamp have to be adjusted? Hope not. I'd like the light to at least resemble the color of the surrounding LEDs. Thanks.
Those are the bulbs I switched to after the VisionX bulbs started flaking.
As far as I am concerned,theheadlight always has to be adjusted! After taking it out on a dark night and raising it a bit to see where i was going, I put some painters tape on my garage wall as a reference to where the low beam cutoff is.
This way I can always return the headlight to the position that works for me.

·
Registered
651 Posts
Of note, the instructions in the Haynes says that the headlight housing can be accessed but removing the right-side bolt, and then swinging it out to the left, so that alignment is maintained. Haven't accomplished this myself yet.

·
Registered
213 Posts
the instructions in the Haynes says that the headlight housing can be accessed but removing the right-side bolt, and then swinging it out to the left, so that alignment is maintained.
Interesting. But by 'left' they mean while seated on the bike, correct? Need to search for a video of doing this. And to adjust the headlight, I guess BOTH have to be loosened, right?

After reviewing both Philips bulbs (crystal and diamond), the diamonds are clearly whiter and better liked, so just ordered those. The crystals still have yellow on them, while the diamonds a hint of blue. But they're the whitest halogen bulb. Unfortunately, they're apparently not going to last as long as OEMs (which makes sense, as they must run hotter inside, due to the coating), but if the headlight can be just 'swung' to the side, it should be a quicker job to replace them.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Interesting. But by 'left' they mean while seated on the bike, correct? Need to search for a video of doing this. And to adjust the headlight, I guess BOTH have to be loosened, right?

After reviewing both Philips bulbs (crystal and diamond), the diamonds are clearly whiter and better liked, so just ordered those. The crystals still have yellow on them, while the diamonds a hint of blue. But they're the whitest halogen bulb. Unfortunately, they're apparently not going to last as long as OEMs (which makes sense, as they must run hotter inside, due to the coating), but if the headlight can be just 'swung' to the side, it should be a quicker job to replace them.
You need a really short torx driver to temove the left bolt and swing the light out. The supplied tool under the seat actually works. Then it’s way harder for me to access the bulbs than when I just take the light out and put it on the table.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I just scrutinized my headlight (without removing the metal 'cover'), and it's only held by 2 hefty Torx bolts. Headlight is held deep inside the metal 'brackets', so there's no freaking way you can swing anything; it needs to pull straight out. Seems like I'll have to remove just those 2 bolts, and get the thing out. Is it needed to remove the metal cover to replace the bulbs, or just those 2 bolts? Thx.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I just scrutinized my headlight (without removing the metal 'cover'), and it's only held by 2 hefty Torx bolts. Headlight is held deep inside the metal 'brackets', so there's no freaking way you can swing anything; it needs to pull straight out. Seems like I'll have to remove just those 2 bolts, and get the thing out. Is it needed to remove the metal cover to replace the bulbs, or just those 2 bolts? Thx.
Just the two torx bolts. Your under-seat tool set has a torx key that is designed to do precisely that.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Oh, hope my bike is still the same. I didn't see that in my owner's manual. We'll see. Thank you very much for posting that info. I'll report back, and relay my experience changing both bulbs. I should get them Sunday.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Oh, hope my bike is still the same. I didn't see that in my owner's manual. We'll see. Thank you very much for posting that info. I'll report back, and relay my experience changing both bulbs. I should get them Sunday.
Hey, your bike might have the led headlight, so no user serviceable parts inside ;)

·
Registered
213 Posts
Just saw the top (large) bolt on the left side, so no LED headlight. Ha ha. Will give the swing option a try, and see if I can do it that way. If it's too tight, would just get it all out. Just checked the tracking, and stupid USPS is not going to deliver the bulbs today (nor the LED boards for the turn signals). Oh well. As long as I get them, since they put the packages in the wrong house half the time here. The Akra can is 'out for delivery', so I should get at least that today :).

·
Registered
149 Posts
Just saw the top (large) bolt on the left side, so no LED headlight. Ha ha. Will give the swing option a try, and see if I can do it that way. If it's too tight, would just get it all out. Just checked the tracking, and stupid USPS is not going to deliver the bulbs today (nor the LED boards for the turn signals). Oh well. As long as I get them, since they put the packages in the wrong house half the time here. The Akra can is 'out for delivery', so I should get at least that today :).
it really isn’t difficult to change the bulbs. Bulbs have a retainer ring secured by a small torx bolt, but I suspect the included double sided screwdriver fits these boots. You don’t have to remove the bolt completely, just enough to remove the bulbs. It isn’t mentioned in the manual, probably because BMW doesn’t trust the end user to adjust the light correctly… if you don’t have a matching torx driver, you may find decent sets on Amazon for $40 or so, but you would need a wrench and possibly a small extension to fit inside the light.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts