BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

· Registered
2020 BMW r1250r - Pollux trim
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
New (very happy) owner of a 2020 r1250r in Pollux finish here... Rode it all around the Chesapeake bay and I really love it so far. Previous bikes : Kawasaki z7, 1200 ZRX and Ducati 1200S Multistrada.

I noticed a slight tikcing noise that apprears at idle as the bike warms up. Not a huge deal but after digging the internet, some owners report a "too short cam chain tensioner"
(start at 5:17s)

Is this correct? Should I replace that tensioner ASAP? or is it just noise without real consequence?

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

· Mark – Moderator 2015 R1200R-LC Exclusive
2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
The bike will still be under warranty so you could check with your dealer, who will most likely say it isn’t abnormal.
There’s another thread here where the owner has shimmed the tensioner spring - cheap and effective.

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Interestingly the online parts catalogues are yet to show a superseding part number.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the dealer is like "dont worry about it"... but after reading ADV rider forum it looks like this is not an unusual concern. So now I'm just trying to figure out if a new OEM tensioner will actually fix it or it has to be a DIY 5mm shim ...?

· Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
630 Posts
For what it's worth, I have the same bike, same color, same everything (except for that Akra, which I still need to get), including (possibly...my first boxer engine, sometimes I think it's normal, sometimes I think it's a bit off) that ticking in the left cylinder. The bike runs great, and has for three riding seasons, so I haven't worried about it. That said, I'm having an all-bike warranty inspection done in a few weeks (since my warranty expires in April or May of next year), so I may have some more information regarding that issue soon.

· Registered
301 Posts
My '16 got a lot quieter when I adjusted the lash in all of the valves to the lower 50% of the factory recommended range.

• Helpful
Reactions: dbyker

· Registered
2020 R1250R HP w/sport & 2019 R1250GS HP Rallye & 2019 R nineT SCR
141 Posts
Jury is still out if BMW/dealer will replace left side tensioner on early 1250s with updated/longer version. I just DIY'd on my MY19 GS and will probably do the same for my MY20 R @$140, it's a simple easy fix, especially if changing oil. And ounce of prevention.
Left side cam chain tensioner update (#11317108586)

And @sebintheworld, as you have engine guards, you can also easily do the same as me, on my GS and just lay the bike on its right side to swap out the tensioner without losing more than a cap full of oil. Just need 17mm and 19mm wrench for old & new tensioner, respectively. As that's how BMW also designed the tensioner so owners/mechanics would know old vs updated variant had been installed on a bike without removal for visual inspection/comparison.

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jury is still out if BMW/dealer will replace left side tensioner on early 1250s with updated/longer version. I just DIY'd on my MY19 GS and will probably do the same for my MY20 R @$140, it's a simple easy fix, especially if changing oil. And ounce of prevention.
Left side cam chain tensioner update (#11317108586)

And @sebintheworld, as you have engine guards, you can also easily do the same as me, on my GS and just lay the bike on its right side to swap out the tensioner without losing more than a cap full of oil. Just need 17mm and 19mm wrench for old & new tensioner, respectively. As that's how BMW also designed the tensioner so owners/mechanics would know old vs updated variant had been installed on a bike without removal for visual inspection/comparison.
WOW! Thanks JR that's super helpful!

· Premium Member
275 Posts
Jury is still out if BMW/dealer will replace left side tensioner on early 1250s with updated/longer version. ...
The bike will still be under warranty so you could check with your dealer, who will most likely say it isn’t abnormal. ...
FYI Sharing my own experience:
After I had read this thread (and verified I had 17mm ones) I have asked the dealer (GA, USA) to replace mine (as still under warranty) and was told it was not covered by warranty and that there was no recall order to do that (I think he said the only model which was covered/had a recall for that was the s1000rr)

P.s./FYI I have updated the Does your R1250 flapper flap from-side-to-side upon power-up ? OP after a visit to the dealership for this issue - see section EDIT 2 2022-09-25

· Registered
2020 R1250R Black Storm
2 Posts
Hi everyone,
New (very happy) owner of a 2020 r1250r in Pollux finish here... Rode it all around the Chesapeake bay and I really love it so far. Previous bikes : Kawasaki z7, 1200 ZRX and Ducati 1200S Multistrada.

I noticed a slight tikcing noise that apprears at idle as the bike warms up. Not a huge deal but after digging the internet, some owners report a "too short cam chain tensioner"

Is this correct? Should I replace that tensioner ASAP? or is it just noise without real consequence?

View attachment 116910 View attachment 116911

View attachment 116912
Hi everyone,

View attachment 116910 View attachment 116911

View attachment 116912
Hi, last week i the local BMW dealer finaly returned my R1250R after "surgery" that involved one new cam axel and all of the rockerarms and also valve adjustment included new shims😤, this tok 3 weeks! The problem was bad alloy in the rocker arms.
I also asked them to change the cam timing chain tensioner, because of "ticking" from the leftside Cylinder.
The ticking noise is now gone🤷🏼‍♂️, i guesse because a combination of all the above fixed the issue(?)
All was covered by the warrenty (ofcourse!!)

· Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, last week i the local BMW dealer finaly returned my R1250R after "surgery" that involved one new cam axel and all of the rockerarms and also valve adjustment included new shims😤, this tok 3 weeks! The problem was bad alloy in the rocker arms.
I also asked them to change the cam timing chain tensioner, because of "ticking" from the leftside Cylinder.
The ticking noise is now gone🤷🏼‍♂️, i guesse because a combination of all the above fixed the issue(?)
All was covered by the warrenty (ofcourse!!)
damn! glad this was covered by the warranty!

· Premium Member
12 Posts
Not sure if you checked this website; it offers the updated tensioner for earlier and later years for a better price. Mine ('07 - R1200R) had it installed when I bought it. I verified, and I have the 15mm ones.

2015 R1200R Exclusive
7,951 Posts
Not sure if you checked this website; it offers the updated tensioner for earlier and later years for a better price. Mine ('07 - R1200R) had it installed when I bought it. I verified, and I have the 15mm ones.
The OP is referring to his 1250, which has different tensioners to the hexheads, @juanr12r.
Also, the website you linked shows BMW’s list price for the hexhead tensioner.

· Registered
2020 R1250R in Pollux Metallic Matte
630 Posts
I had my 6000-mile / end-of-season service done, and while I was at the dealer had a free End of Warranty inspection done (mine's up in the Spring of 2023). I spoke to them of the left cylinder soft ticking that I hear, and discussed the two issues that are proposed on-line. After confirming that there is no warranty campaign or recall on the cam chain tensioner, the guy at the counter looked up the part number for the longer cam chain tensioner, and found that there were only about a dozen in the U.S. at the moment, and maybe another dozen over in Europe...supply chain issues aside, there seems to be little demand for this upgrade, so if there are few complaining, I'm going with the crowd and not worry any more about that issue. I had them pull the head covers and check the cam lobs and rocker arms for the reported alloy issues that cause wear, and everything looked good throughout.

I'm just going to chalk it up to the idiosyncrasies of the boxer engine -- my first, so still getting used to the differences between it and decades of Japanese engines (one Triumph excepted) -- and, as they say, worry less and ride more.

· Retired In Beautiful Tennessee
1,781 Posts
If you don’t like engine noises, buy a boring Honda, I say.
Right. I'll hop on the bike bareback and ride 'round the neighborhood for a quick blow dry after washing and the mechanical noises are a whole 'nother level from riding helmeted and earplugged. These Boxers are just noisy, like a 125HP Swiss watch - but they go six figure mileages with relative ease.

I guess the trick is to know the normal noises from the not normal noises. Earplugs & helmets cover up A LOT.

Cheers! Dave

Reactions: Panzermann

· Registered
29 Posts
I had them pull the head covers and check the cam lobs and rocker arms for the reported alloy issues that cause wear, and everything looked good throughout.
Could you point me in the direction of this issue please. Mine coming tup to the end of warranty next month and wondering if I'm beginning to hear noises now!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts