BMW R1200R Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2020 BMW r1250r - Pollux trim
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
New (very happy) owner of a 2020 r1250r in Pollux finish here... Rode it all around the Chesapeake bay and I really love it so far. Previous bikes : Kawasaki z7, 1200 ZRX and Ducati 1200S Multistrada.

I noticed a slight tikcing noise that apprears at idle as the bike warms up. Not a huge deal but after digging the internet, some owners report a "too short cam chain tensioner"
(start at 5:17s)

Is this correct? Should I replace that tensioner ASAP? or is it just noise without real consequence?

Wheel Tire Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Motor vehicle
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Automotive fuel system Vehicle

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive fuel system

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah the dealer is like "dont worry about it"... but after reading ADV rider forum it looks like this is not an unusual concern. So now I'm just trying to figure out if a new OEM tensioner will actually fix it or it has to be a DIY 5mm shim ...?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jury is still out if BMW/dealer will replace left side tensioner on early 1250s with updated/longer version. I just DIY'd on my MY19 GS and will probably do the same for my MY20 R @$140, it's a simple easy fix, especially if changing oil. And ounce of prevention.
Left side cam chain tensioner update (#11317108586)

And @sebintheworld, as you have engine guards, you can also easily do the same as me, on my GS and just lay the bike on its right side to swap out the tensioner without losing more than a cap full of oil. Just need 17mm and 19mm wrench for old & new tensioner, respectively. As that's how BMW also designed the tensioner so owners/mechanics would know old vs updated variant had been installed on a bike without removal for visual inspection/comparison.
WOW! Thanks JR that's super helpful!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, last week i the local BMW dealer finaly returned my R1250R after "surgery" that involved one new cam axel and all of the rockerarms and also valve adjustment included new shims😤, this tok 3 weeks! The problem was bad alloy in the rocker arms.
I also asked them to change the cam timing chain tensioner, because of "ticking" from the leftside Cylinder.
The ticking noise is now gone🤷🏼‍♂️, i guesse because a combination of all the above fixed the issue(?)
All was covered by the warrenty (ofcourse!!)
damn! glad this was covered by the warranty!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts