BMW R1200R Forum banner

R1250R Luggage

22K views 30 replies 17 participants last post by  keith1200rs 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get some panniers and I am considering the OEM ones and the Shad.
I can't see a fitment kit on the Shad website yet and I need them fairly soon. Does anyone know if the 1200LC kit will fit?
I suspect the the left hand side will be ok but the exhaust hanger may have moved for the right hand side??
Also has anyone done any comparisons between the Shad and BMW cases as in how far each stick out from the bike? I think I read on here that the Shad cases are quite wide.
Thanks.

#3 ·
I went with the shads as the BMW ones would not accept a full face in both panniers and only one in the top box but the shads could take a full face in both panniers and two in the 46l top box. The other benefit was the shads were cheaper.

9 to go.

#6 ·
Thanks for the comments guys, it sounds like either would be fine for a size M and size S C3.

Can anyone comment on the waterproofing of either? I think BMW describe theirs as water resistant.
Also does anyone know if the Shads protrude noticeably further than the BMWs? I don't want to add unnecessary width to the bike.
There isn't much difference in the price unless you factor in the inner bags...does anyone use these? BMWs are more than double the price of Shad!

#7 ·
Can anyone comment on the waterproofing of either? I think BMW describe theirs as water resistant.
I don’t know if any make “waterproof” cases, but in my travels, it’s been a non issue. Even in heavy rain, the most “leakage” you see is really nothing to sweat. For a fraction of the price, you can buy camping bags at your major big box store to pack items in to protect from water...which is better as you generally want to compartmentalize the case’s contents for easier access.

Believe it or not, I’ve gotten by with kitchen trash bags and recycled plastic grocery bags.

Reactions: Neillz1200R
#13 · (Edited)
I posted pictures of the Shad paniers on my R1200R LC here : https://www.r1200rforum.com/forum/b...-topcase-options-21465/index8.html#post332362

For my R1250R, I decided to keep a Shad top case since the BMW can just fit one helmet and not much more. I will go for the Shad sh 48.
But for the side paniers, I think I will keep the BMW rack and paniers since they make the bike neater when the paniers are off and the size of the paniers vs the SHADs are more or less the same, but making the bike narrower because of the different mount systems.

PS: by the way, it's a discussion that is common to R1200 and R1250 since they use the exact same models of paniers/mounts/racks or whatever >:)

#14 ·
Can anybody comment on the Shad rear luggage rack?
Anyone have any photos of one fitted?

I don't have the OEM rack, so instead of purchasing the BMW rack and then a Shad adapter plate I was looking at the Shad rack. It seems it has just been discontinued for some reason but I am sure I could still get one from Fastbikebits.
I think they mount over the existing grab rails and from the drawing I have seen it doesn't look as neat as the BMW one which replaces the grab rails.

#15 ·
I'm contemplating replacing my R1150R with the R1250R or RS and it has "city bags" in addition to the full size panniers. The city bags are locking hard cases that are no wider than the mirrors which are great for commuting and running errands. BMW doesn't make OEM ones for new bikes to the best of my knowledge. Are there aftermarket panniers designed for commuting that keep the profile narrow?

#16 · (Edited)
As far as I know, the factory only offer one version unless they have changed with for the new models.

They fit the R, RS and X
Models. They are grey in colour per my bike.

For commuting, I would get a BMW topcase instead.

Attachments

Reactions: kswartz
#21 ·
The SH23’s aren’t compatible with the R1200R or R1250R. I’m thinking of trading in my R NineT for an R1250R and have been trying to find smaller cases and haven’t been able to find anything. Anybody have any suggestions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#23 ·
I have changed my luggage set-ups so many times, I’m reluctant to say what I prefer because I know I’ll make another change at some point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: derudog
#25 ·
Not wanting to start a new thread, just ordered a BMW softbag 3 (small) tailbag to fit on the luggage rack.

Any feedback on this bag to be used for around town and to complement my I BMW side cases when touring.

#26 ·
Any feedback?

Will provide a review once I get mine

#27 · (Edited)
using the OEM ones, happy with the look and fitment and durability and functionality. Cases affect handling and aero, I only ride with them if I need them. The bike feels far sportier without them on. That is true on my GS and it was true on both my roadsters. It feels so good to have them off.

I would never carry an empty case just to store a helmet. Again, ymmv, and I do not at all live in a crime free location. I do park at home in a secure location though, however, certainly not secure if on the road or if commuting for work.

To me, and ymmv, [a case to hold a helmet] seems like a solution to a problem that can be easily addressed in other ways. Example: For my topcase(s) I use either a 1550 Pelican (Cariboucases.com) or a 1450 Pelican. The 1550 has an internal keyed lock. Both accept a padlock that I thread the D rings from the Shoei Neotec on to.

If I am just running into a gas station for a "pit stop." I just hook the helmet onto a carabiner I have on the mounting plate for the Pelican. Never an issue. And it "looks" like it is locked on, IOW it is NOT prone to a "grab and run."

If you must park in an unsecured area and do not have secure parking at your home for overnight, maybe different, but if tooling around or on the road, as above.

And, if you have "stuff" in the case, then what? What if you're riding with a pillion? Master Lock makes a keyless padlock with a long hasp that can accommodate two helmets, just find a place on the bike to secure it. For me the Pelican cases work fine.

Any bike cover with provide pretty good security...out of sight, out of mind...and on the road I have an old $29 cover from EBAY that has tens (hundreds?) thousand miles on it. It's a little ragged now, but serves the purpose of hiding the Roundel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.