BMW R1200R Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are there any radiator grills available to fit the R1250R?

Been fitting some accessories to my bike today. I’ve fitted the Evotech EP swingarm protection and EP rear spindle bobbins – both fitted perfectly and are very nice. Next on was the machineart moto mudsling. Fits nice though I had to shorten the screw as it bottoms out just before the washer is about to get nipped.

Then I decided the fit the Evotech radiator guard. I noted the instructions were for the R1250RS. Unfortunately, on the left-hand side the guard fouls the radiator pod and the top screw won’t screw home – if you did screw it home the pod would crack. On the right hand side, the OE BMW screw is left now too short to secure the pod.

I notice looking at photos that the R1250R has different pods to the R1200R.

So has anybody found a guard that fits the R1250R without fouling the side pods.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
This is why it doesn't fit correctly. The side pods have lugs on them that locate the pod onto the side of the radiator mount. As you can see the radiator guard now prevents them from locating.

It’s really disappointing that this radiator has no guard as standard. Considering the pathetically short mud guard the bare radiator is left pretty vulnerable to damage.

I’m keen to find a guard that fits correctly. Anu suggestions? Anybody fitted a radiator guard to their R1250R?

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK, been searching for rad grills and looking closely at all the snaps I can find.
I've ordered the R&G one, and gone for the titanium finish - which again might help give this all black bike a wee lift.
From what I can see the R&G guard mounts top and bottom, rather than at the sides, so it shouldn't foul the side pods.
Will report back.

The Evotech one is in the post back to them. I would say I'm very happy with the other stuff I bought from them, it's very good quality and at a reasonable price. I'm guessing they've just made an assumption that if the guard fits the RS then it will also fit the R.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, Evotech radiator grill returned. They tell me they will be revisiting the R1250R.

R&G guard fitted – it’s a bit tight with the strange BMW decorative thing in place (what is that thing for?) and I’ve now, with all the faffing about, had those horrible almost self-tapping style plastic screws out and back in of the fan frame more times than I care for. So, guard is in place and is staying there.

I went for the titanium look paint – again just trying to give the overall blackness of the bike a wee lift.

Here she is;

·
Registered
159 Posts
I ended up fabricating one using an black nest waste paper backer and after making a cardboard template cut it to shape using tin snips.

Then glued some neoprene hose washers on it to space it from the rad fins and so far my “ghetto” seems to be ok. However, It only protects the finned area.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Really like the titanium look, may have to upgrade mine.
Also like the improved look of the Rad cowls on the R1250R and wondering if they would fit but scared at what BMW may ask for them. Cannot fond them on the parts fiche.

OK, Evotech radiator grill returned. They tell me they will be revisiting the R1250R.

R&G guard fitted – it’s a bit tight with the strange BMW decorative thing in place (what is that thing for?) and I’ve now, with all the faffing about, had those horrible almost self-tapping style plastic screws out and back in of the fan frame more times than I care for. So, guard is in place and is staying there.

I went for the titanium look paint – again just trying to give the overall blackness of the bike a wee lift.

Here she is;

View attachment 107094

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I did wonder if I might have to lash something up myself. It’s disappointing that the bikes don’t come with a guard as standard, it clearly needs it. Plus, new radiator is an eye watering 500 quid.

The Evotech guard covered the whole radiator but then of course it’s not fully compatible with the side pods.

The R&G grills covers only the radiator fins – but that’s all you need anyway, and it locates top and bottom so does not foul the side pods.

Not keen on the R&G logos, but other than that it’s fine.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Are there any radiator grills available to fit the R1250R?

Been fitting some accessories to my bike today. I’ve fitted the Evotech EP swingarm protection and EP rear spindle bobbins – both fitted perfectly and are very nice. Next on was the machineart moto mudsling. Fits nice though I had to shorten the screw as it bottoms out just before the washer is about to get nipped.

Then I decided the fit the Evotech radiator guard. I noted the instructions were for the R1250RS. Unfortunately, on the left-hand side the guard fouls the radiator pod and the top screw won’t screw home – if you did screw it home the pod would crack. On the right hand side, the OE BMW screw is left now too short to secure the pod.

I notice looking at photos that the R1250R has different pods to the R1200R.

So has anybody found a guard that fits the R1250R without fouling the side pods.
I bought the Evotech R1200R radiator grill for my R1250R and it fits perfectly no modifications required, I was nearly put off by Gareth's comment above. I will post a picture at a later date. Also fitted the Evotech engine guard. I had the radiator guard and oil cooler guard on my S1000r also, both looked in great condition when I sold nearly 6 years later.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I bought the Evotech R1200R radiator grill for my R1250R and it fits perfectly no modifications required, I was nearly put off by Gareth's comment above. I will post a picture at a later date. Also fitted the Evotech engine guard. I had the radiator guard and oil cooler guard on my S1000r also, both looked in great condition when I sold nearly 6 years later.
Evotech told me that they had sold a number of radiator guards without complaint. But they also accepted from my picture (if you look at the picture that shows my hand) that their product does not fit correctly. They said they would be getting the R1250R back into the workshop for re-evaluation.

As you can see from the above picture (the one with my hand) it is not possible for the locating lug to locate round the radiator retaining mount with the Evotech radiator cover in place. It can be bodged on, and some may not realise the poor fit.

I was very happy with the other Evotech products that I purchased.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Evotech told me that they had sold a number of radiator guards without complaint. But they also accepted from my picture (if you look at the picture that shows my hand) that their product does not fit correctly. They said they would be getting the R1250R back into the workshop for re-evaluation.

As you can see from the above picture (the one with my hand) it is not possible for the locating lug to locate round the radiator retaining mount with the Evotech radiator cover in place. It can be bodged on, and some may not realise the poor fit.

I was very happy with the other Evotech products that I purchased.
I like the silver guard on your bike so may have worked out better for you, breaks up the black nicely.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Ah, bollocks. I was going to fit my Evotech radiator guard this afternoon....

GDM, did you need to bodge it to fit, or did it just go straight on? If you needed to cut anything, mine will be going back like Gareth’s.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Went straight on mine, no issue, fit perfectly. Very straightforward job.

I have the r1250r exclusive.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Unless they have changed the design, then I would send it back. If they haven’t changed the design, I’m surprised they are still selling it – that’s a bit shabby. It’s a shame as their stuff is usually spot on.

Hopefully the following photos will help. To be clear, it’s not that the guard does not fit, but that radiator side covers won’t fit as intended once the Evotech radiator guard is in place.

The locating lug on the cover cannot go over the radiator retaining cover mount with the Evotech cover in place. The locating lugs are quite soft and I guess a lot of folks have just flattened them or broken them off - some may not even realise they have done so. But if you do that, if you look at the LHS cover (opposite from the radiator filler cap) the cover will sit and bend over the Evotech guard mounting arm – not ideal. It's poor.

The R&G radiator cover, uses the two OEM guard (what is that thing for?) mounting screws at the bottom, and one at the top along with one cable tie. It does not interfere with the fit of the side pods.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You can see in the 4th photo I'd already mashed my locating lug on the side pod a wee bit before I realised.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the Exclusive with the stainless steel shrouds yours are plastic. I bought the r1200r grill as it was the same as the r1250r which was out of stock, the grill hasn't changed looks like the one in your picture The issue looks to be the plastic shrouds on your bike.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts