BMW R1200R Forum banner

R1250R review

29K views 38 replies 17 participants last post by  Moderately Excessive 
#1 ·
A very good review by a mate of mine. Shows what the bike is like in the real world.

#5 ·
Teapotone

If you liked this one check out his youtube channel, Teapotone (named after the Met Police mobile catering van). He did a round the world trip on a GSXR a few years ago and gets lots of dealer support for his honest reviews.

Reactions: mcmonkey mcbean
#6 ·
Note that the Auto suspension setting he referred to is auto-preload to self-level the bike no matter the load. So, if adding a pillion, the bike won’t soften the ride as such, simply jack up the preload and apply damping to suit.

Also, I’d expect the different Ride (engine) modes would be as per the 1200 - simply changes the initial throttle take-up rather than the amount of torque/power available with wide open throttle. From my test ride, the Road and Dynamic modes are softer from zero throttle than the 1200 Roadster, making Dynamic an easier (and more exciting) choice for everyday riding.

#12 ·
From my test ride, the Road and Dynamic modes are softer from zero throttle than the 1200 Roadster, making Dynamic an easier (and more exciting) choice for everyday riding.
I've got the same feeling switching from the 1200R LC to the 1250R LC. The throttle of the 1250 dynamic mode feels like the road mode of the 1200.
That explains why some reviewers felt like the 1200 was more expressive than the 1250. I need to open the throttle more on the R1250 to have the same feeling as on the 1200.

#7 ·
Love/Hate

I initially said I loved the bike.. after a short run in the rain I must say I hate it 😋

I have a tail tidyed Duke 690 throwing less road grime up my asscrack.. had to take jacket, pants and shoes into the shower. The bike looked like Dakar bike and needed a wash from top to bottom.

I suspect this is a known problem and my credit card is going to pay for it :crying:

#8 ·
@Redman - the R1200R-LC's delivered to Australia in the early days had a mudguard fitted to the rear. A few of us were lucky to get them (mine was delivered without the guard fitted), others have purchased the part later on. The bike doesn't look quite as sleek at the rear, but it does keep a lot of crud down (not all). There's a thread here somewhere that gives details and images.

#16 ·
All I can say is that based on my experience of the two, roll-on acceleration on the 1250 leaves the 1200 in the dust. As soon as the shift-cam switches over you get a real kick in the but, a very hard kick in dynamic mode. Yes the 1250 is softer at under 10 kph, but as soon as you start moving opening the throttle on the newer bike is a much more exciting and dynamic experience.

#18 ·
Certainly the 1250 goes harder at the top end and also has more torque on hand to draw upon at lower revs. From an everyday riding perspective though, it’s refinement and softer throttle response off zero meant my seat of the pants dynamometer didn’t make this very obvious - the 1200 already has a mountain of torque to draw upon for accelerating away from lights or overtaking roll-ons. Nor did I feel the Shiftcam transition. The extra grunt and power of the 1250 would be more apparent to me when loaded up and/or in higher speed situations, where it would be most welcome.

This video of the 1250GS vs 1200 shows them back to back, with some stats; go straight to 10:45 for the latter. The dyno chart shows a very smooth line so the Shiftcam transition is very well managed.
https://youtu.be/5WgugJQmRJA

#19 ·
How can I put it to help you undestand... No you cannot tell when the transition ocurrs, but yes you do feel the extra power once it has transitioned. This is not just at higher revs, there is more power available all over the rev range once you open the throttle.

By the way, dont you think it is time we had a separate forum for the 1250?

#21 ·
R1250r

By the way, don't you think it is time we had a separate forum for the 1250?

That Q has already been brought up/discussed, and the answer is NO.
Or, Oh no ! (Thanks Eric)

Hexheads and Camheads shared the same space for eight years.
The 2015 _LC was a new generation of Boxer.
The R1250R Shift-Cam is an engine tweak.
A "better fueling" version. Not a completely new design.
It shares all the other basic parts with the former model.
Like a factory race tune ECU, full Termi system, or other Ducati mod.
When hybrids, full electric, 1500cc turbo, or self-driving versions appear,
please feel free to ask again.
"What's behind me isn't important" exclaimed one racer.
Since the Shift-Cam leaves the older LC in the dust, don't be too concerned about it.

#22 ·
By the way, don't you think it is time we had a separate forum for the 1250?

That Q has already been brought up/discussed, and the answer is NO.
Or, Oh no ! (Thanks Eric)

Hexheads and Camheads shared the same space for eight years.
The 2015 _LC was a new generation of Boxer.
The R1250R Shift-Cam is an engine tweak.
A "better fueling" version. Not a completely new design.
It shares all the other basic parts with the former model.
Like a factory race tune ECU, full Termi system, or other Ducati mod.
When hybrids, full electric, 1500cc turbo, or self-driving versions appear,
please feel free to ask again.
"What's behind me isn't important" exclaimed one racer.
Since the Shift-Cam leaves the older LC in the dust, don't be too concerned about it.
J'agree! If interlopers such as myself (Yamaha), Dr Strangelove (GS), even Panzermann (Yamaha SRX6) can participate, why not even closer-clones such as the 1250R? :nerd:

Reactions: Panzermann
#31 ·
Im sorry i cant believe the difference of 50 cc can be 'night and day' as one you tube reviewer stated.
Im sure it will be a bit torquier with its extra 11 or so bhp, but taking into consideration that the bike now carries a bit extra weight, i cant see the it been as big a difference from the 1200r as we have been led to believe- my opinion only,

#32 ·
So what is the score here exactly? Is the forum owned by you and basically what you say goes? How is this forum run?

Would be nice to have a separate section for those of us not interested in reading about other models. And yes, the 1250 is a different model bike.[/QUOTE]

For what it’s worth I don’t think a separate section in the forum for R1250 would necessarily be a bad thing. Most people seem happy to contribute across different models so it wouldn’t do any harm as long as it’s all in good taste. Whilst the R1250R does share a number of similarities with the R1200R LC there are also some differences ie TFT, ShiftCam, colour schemes, etc.

#38 ·
I agree with the comments regarding the soft throttle response, I ride in dynamic and coming from a S1000r which I rode mainly in road it is very sedate and takes some getting used too. Almost certainly the gearing but the s1000r was happy cruising in 6th doing 60kmh and would accelerate effortlessly from that I find myself in third at that speed on the r1250r. Luckily the engine is so smooth and balanced, gear changes to third also a bit clunky if I baby it.

Also when I split to the front at the traffic lights I never thought about getting off the line on the s1000r and even my FZ1N they just explode out of the blocks, the r1250r I just have to be conscious of the slower take up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.